How to stream lossless audio from mac to apple tv with time capsule? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So i am creating a decent home theater setup right now i have a pair of bowers CM9's, cm2 center and a pair of cm5's and asw12 powered by an SC-57. This is my question, i have a apple tv 2 gen jail broken so i can stream my 2 TB apple time capsule wirelessly NAS, it works great! But the problem i have iTunes highest kbps is 320 kbps. What i would like to do is download FLAC files or high quality audio files and stream them from my time capsule over my wifi. Before i download an expensive flac file, i wanted to ask if i would lose any quality doing it this way or is this even possible. By bypassing iTunes with doing this it sounds like it could work. What i want is to play some great quality audio and see if i can tell the difference between hotel california 320kbps vs an extremely high quality on my bowers?! Any suggestions? I am a newbie so any criticism is recommended thanks a lot AVS.

Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
iTunes won't do FLAC files. But iTunes will do Apple Lossless (ALAC) files. These are very similar to one another and both are capable of lossless audio. So, you have two options, basically:

1. Use iTunes, which will require converting FLAC (or WAV) to Apple Lossless. There are several programs which will allow you to convert FLAC and WAV to Apple Lossless. If you want to use iTunes, this is your only option.

2. Use another audio frontend which can do FLAC files. There are several. MediaMonkey, WinAmp, foobar2000, VLC, etc.. There are ways to stream other players besides iTunes via Airplay. With Airfoil, for example.

Do some online research. There is plenty of info available out there.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 5 Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply! I had time to kill today, so i just went ahead and download the FLAC file of the eagles Vinyl rip in 24-bit/96kHz. All i can say is WOW. The file size was almost 1GB but put it on the time capsule and streamed it to my apple tv that is jailbroken with Firecore. Worked flawlessly, being jailbroken it can play any file type i guess. So i played hotel california lossless vs home sharing from my mac at 192 kbps. You know its not night and day but the highs with lossless are impeccable vs 192 kbps. It makes me almost want to delete all my mp3's and just download FLAC files. Like i said i am a newbie, but this was a pretty cool adventure for me! The bowers sounded amazing!
post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
What program did you use to download the eagles vinyl to 24-bit/96kHz ?

Thanks

Djoel
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

What program did you use to download the eagles vinyl to 24-bit/96kHz ?

Thanks

Djoel

I have the 192/24 download from HDTRacks.com and it's fantastic. I compared it to the 2-channel SACD and they are pretty close.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page