Need of a clarification - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone I´m BladeDTS and i need some information, I'm new to AVS forum and pleased to make your acquaintance. My question is as follows I have a Pioneer VSX-520 which is 5.1 but if i tell the receiver that there are back surrounds i get DPLIIx and extra modes. However I do not have any way of adding the 2 other speakers (space, economical confrindgments) do I gain anything from running 7.1 modes on a 5.1 system? example DPLIIx Music with just five speakers. Any help will be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm not sure I understand. The VSX-520 receiver is a 5.1 receiver - you physically cannot connect another pair of speakers.

So when running a 7.1 source into it via HDMI, it will down-mix the rear surrounds into the "regular" or "side" surrounds to provide a 5.1 mix for the 5.1 set of speakers.

Since you are in the Surround Music Formats forum, I should mention, in case you are not aware, that SACDs and DVD-As (and most regular DVDs with DTS or DD) are all 5.1 mixes. The most common source of 7.1 material is BD movies - even most BD music disks are mixed in 5.1, I believe (though I am happy to be wrong).

I suppose the DPLIIx modes are engaged if you tell the receiver you have a 7.1 source to allow you to choose various downmix implementations (maybe there are some downmixes that mix some of the side-surround into the front channels...I dunno, just guessing).

Can you provide more info about what you are trying to do (i.e. you do indeed have 5.1 speakers, you have a BD or SACD player model x, etc), and what kind of source material (SACDs, DVDs, BDs) you are wanting to play?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes I can clarify my amp has surrback pre-out to which I can connect another amp or active speakers making it 7.1. Nevertheless the question was do I gain any benefit from running 7.1 enconding in stereo music and movies on wothout adding the 2 extra speakers. You see I add them in the menu although there is nothing connected to the pre-outs.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

It's more of technical question. Do I gain anything related to spacing and panning, you know that kind off stuff.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You gain nothing by choosing 7.1 when you have 5.1 setup. Just set it to 5.1, sit back, crank it up and enjoy.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Right thank you all so much! If anybody has other opinions feel free to elaborate!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page