Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 195 Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"Even better, it has also been announced that (Steven) Wilson will revisit Pictures At An Exhibition (1971); Trilogy (1972); Brain Salad Surgery (1973); and Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer (1974), all in new remixed glory.  The dates for those albums are yet to be determined, but the reissues will stop there even though I'd like to see both Works sets given the same treatment."

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainment/first-two-emerson-lake-palmer-albums-to-be-reissued-in-remixed-three-disc-deluxe-editions/
post #93 of 195 Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Got my shipping notice today from Burning Shed for both. I'm stoked!

The following items have been sent:

1 x Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer (2cd/1dvd-a preorder)
1 x Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (2cd/1dvd-a preorder)

burning shed limited | 8 white lodge, hall road, norwich, nr4 6dg, united kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 1603 767726 | VAT No. 813 5829 24

www.burningshed.com
post #94 of 195 Old 08-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Got my shipping notice today from Burning Shed for both. I'm stoked!
/quote]

Wow--it seems the Shed is number 1 for ordering these things! You'll be lovin' ELP over the Labor Day weekend while those of us who ordered elsewhere only dream...
post #95 of 195 Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Wow--it seems the Shed is number 1 for ordering these things! You'll be lovin' ELP over the Labor Day weekend while those of us who ordered elsewhere only dream...

Got my shipping notice from HMV yesterday myself and Royal Mail delivery is pretty fast to my country too. Nevertheless, I can't wait. Started the day off with Wish you were here (sacd) and now perhaps should go on with Brain Salad...wink.gif
post #96 of 195 Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Amazon UK shipped mine. If things happen like the usually do, I'll have them sometime next week.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #97 of 195 Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Amazon UK shipped mine. If things happen like the usually do, I'll have them sometime next week.
larry
Same here. I'm on the West Coast so I'm guessing the day after Labor Day.
Never much of an ELP fan but then again I hadn't listened to Aqualung in 30 years until I got the boxset and shazam!

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #98 of 195 Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought mine from Amazon UK. The list price was £10.00 but when they got into the basket and I checked out, the prices dropped to about £8 each which I suspect is the UK VAT being deducted. So total cost £21.00 for two including shipping.

I am amazed they are DVD-A given Sony's track record. It will also be interesting to compare the 5.1 version of Lucky Man on the BSS DVD-A versus this new mix.
post #99 of 195 Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yep $31 and change from amazon UK. Pretty darn good for two CD/DVD-A sets.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #100 of 195 Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed I got a 99p credit for purchasing the two CD's. I tried to use the credit to purchase a song but it would not let me until I realized that I did not have a UK IP address. Once I fixed that I was able to purchase a song (well it didn't cost me anything with the credit) and download it.
post #101 of 195 Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM

From Steven Wilson's twitter:

"Just heard that the current edition of ELP Tarkus is about to be withdrawn and one track REMOVED, so get it now while you can!"

and

"Unknown Ballad is being removed from Tarkus, I'm unsure why. The currently available pressing has it, subsequent pressings will not."
post #102 of 195 Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Very interesting...so maybe we'll have a collector's edition.
post #103 of 195 Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't received my copy yet but on Amazon UK it shows disc 2 as having Unknown Ballad. I haven't heard that before since the only versions of Tarkus I own are the original LP and first CD.
post #104 of 195 Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

"Just heard that the current edition of ELP Tarkus is about to be withdrawn and one track REMOVED, so get it now while you can!"

and

"Unknown Ballad is being removed from Tarkus, I'm unsure why. The currently available pressing has it, subsequent pressings will not."
Interesting. Any reason given? Maybe some sort of legal thingy.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #105 of 195 Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

and

Can you say instant collectible?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #106 of 195 Old 08-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As I ordered the t-shirt bundle from the official ELP site it looks like it will be late September before I receive them eek.gif

To bide time, I picked up the Blu-Ray ELP Live at Montreaux 1997. Great 5.1 DTS HD MA sound and the PQ is very nice too. I had seen them earlier that year when they toured with Tull. At that time I couldn't get past how much they had (badly) aged; Lake especially. But 15 years later and older (and wiser) myself, I am able to appreciate that special moment in time and am glad that the period got recorded for posterity.
post #107 of 195 Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

As I ordered the t-shirt bundle from the official ELP site it looks like it will be late September before I receive them eek.gif

To bide time, I picked up the Blu-Ray ELP Live at Montreaux 1997. Great 5.1 DTS HD MA sound and the PQ is very nice too. I had seen them earlier that year when they toured with Tull. At that time I couldn't get past how much they had (badly) aged; Lake especially. But 15 years later and older (and wiser) myself, I am able to appreciate that special moment in time and am glad that the period got recorded for posterity.
Order the T-shirt separately. They've been available.

If older bands can still play like they used to ('60s - '70s) I don't mind that much seeing them "aged". But when they can't play the songs like they used to (e.g. Cream at Royal Albert Hall) it's a tad depressing.

larry

post #108 of 195 Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If older bands can still play like they used to ('60s - '70s) I don't mind that much seeing them "aged". But when they can't play the songs like they used to (e.g. Cream at Royal Albert Hall) it's a tad depressing.
larry
Gotta disagree with you big time on that one Larry.
That was a brilliant show, imo.

post #109 of 195 Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Quote:

larry
Gotta disagree with you big time on that one Larry.
That was a brilliant show, imo.
It wasn't Cream playing. It was Jack, Ginger and Eric playing Cream songs. Check out the DVDs of their performances when they were Cream - night and day - especially Ginger. And Cream songs with no Marshalls, fuzz or wah-wah? smile.gif That's what I meant in the previous post. Going through the motions to play their old stuff.

larry

post #110 of 195 Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got my ELP discs today and could not wait to spin them up so to speak. This are initial impressions only.

I fired up the DVD-A of ELP. Of course AQ is impeccable and Steve has done a nice job with the surrounds given he only had 8 tracks to work with.

In the opening strum piano sequence of Take a Pebble the strumming sound arises from a background with no discernible tape hiss or other analogue artifacts and Greg's vocal then come into the centre channel as clear and pristine as ever,

But there are some disappointments of course.

1. As noted serveral times The Three Fates is missing the first two because the original masters could not be found, and goes directly to Atropos. Having listened to the album so many times I am always expecting the Royal Festival Organ to come (how great would that be in 5.1 with the deep organ notes resonating through the subs). The Rave Up jam, while a nice 5.1 tracks is hardly a compensation.

2. DVD-A navigation is not easy to do without a monitor and for me that means turning on the projector. Having listened to the 5.1 tracks I was then expecting the next track to be track 7, The Barbarian in High-Res stereo but the player (Oppo) went back to The Barbarian 5.1. I then turned on the projector to see what I had missed and it only showed the 6 5.1 tracks. I then selected the alternate audio track (high resolution stereo) and now the 7-18 tracks show up. I wonder if it's DVD-A issue or an authoring decision. IMHO it would have been much better to havethe stereo tracks continue after the 5.1 tracks so you would just press skip track or next to navigate through the disc.

Liner notes are very informative and the digipack packing is fine but it would have been to have proper DVD-A super CD packing.

When I get a chance I will spin up Tarkus.
post #111 of 195 Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the brief recap,
Hoping mine will show up tomorrow.
Side note on DVD-A navigation:
I just bought 2 7" LCD monitors for DVD-A\Blu-ray playback w\o using my pj or plasma.
These work perfect and are cheap ~$50

post #112 of 195 Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just spun up the first track of Tarkus and that sounds great. Then I was told to turn the volume down(!) so I guess I am going to have to find a time when nobody is at home

One experiment I plan to try is to compare the 5.1 DVD-A version of Lucky Man on the ELP disc to the one on the BSS DVD-A. I do have two DVD-A players but one is disconnected so I will need to patch it into my HDMI switch which connects to the AVR and perform AB comparisons.

On the topic of DVD-A navigation I am not sure how I can connect a LCD monitor to the output of either my Oppo or AVR as well as the connection to to the PJ unless I find a HDMI splitter device since my AVR only has one HDMI output connection.
post #113 of 195 Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Both of these are showing on Amazon US for release on September 11. I just ordered both and got free shipping so it came out a little less than ordering them through Amazon-UK. This is a great site to spend time on but every time I come here it costs me money. Ordered the Supertramp Blu -Ray last week because of AVS. Thanks.
post #114 of 195 Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

On the topic of DVD-A navigation I am not sure how I can connect a LCD monitor to the output of either my Oppo or AVR as well as the connection to to the PJ unless I find a HDMI splitter device since my AVR only has one HDMI output connection.

I'm not sure if this is true for all Oppo players, but since all outputs are active at the same time on the Oppo 93, I use the Composite connections from my Oppo directly to a cheap 9" LCD that has Composite inputs, and HDMI is connected to my AVR. I have a Listen to Music activity programmed on my Harmony remote that turns on the LCD and AVR while keeping my DLP bulb turned off. The LCD is just large enough for navigation from my seating position about 8' away.

I'm hoping my ELP shipment from Burning Shed arrives today.

edit: I won't get a chance to listen until tomorrow, but discs have arrived!
post #115 of 195 Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I'm not sure if this is true for all Oppo players, but since all outputs are active at the same time on the Oppo 93, I use the Composite connections from my Oppo directly to a cheap 9" LCD that has Composite inputs, and HDMI is connected to my AVR. I have a Listen to Music activity programmed on my Harmony remote that turns on the LCD and AVR while keeping my DLP bulb turned off. The LCD is just large enough for navigation from my seating position about 8' away.
I'm hoping my ELP shipment from Burning Shed arrives today.
edit: I won't get a chance to listen until tomorrow, but discs have arrived!

OK - will check that out. But I don't have access to a LCD monitor with composite video but I do have a 20" tube TV that is sure to have composite video :-)

Spun up Tarkus last night. As impressive as ever but as I was listening to Eruption I couldn't work out why my centre channel wasn't going. Then as I had my head near the centre channel, Greg Lake's vocals burst out at the beginning of Stones of Years! That gave me a right jolt. It seems Steve Wilson has chosen not to mix much audio into the centre channel unless it's Greg's singing (well at least for that track).

I also had time to listen to Lucky Man again and compare the 5.1 version on ELP versus the 5.1 version on BSS. Noting that they were mixed by different producers (John Kellogg for the BSS version), in different studios but hopefully from the same original tapes, it was instructional to listen to the different interpretations. The BSS version has a lot of audio emanating from the sub, especially towards the end. The ELP version has much more in the way of swirling surround towards the end of the track and a more ensemble choir effect for Greg's multitracked vocals towards the end. They both startup up similarly since the instrumentation is sparse towards the beginning leaving the producers with fewer mixing choices. But towards the middle and end when there are more instrumental tracks, there is obviously more choice in the way of mixing the sound.

I am not sure I like which one better - they are both good.
post #116 of 195 Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Useless post but I got my ELP sets today.
Will sample after the game.
Nice glossy packaging and the fact that it's a DVD-A from Sony.
Yeah baby!
Mo' Betta, it's a Steven Wilson project. biggrin.gif
EDIT:
Holy guacamole what a time machine.
Haven't listened to this in YEARS.
Damn, I'd buy a Monkees set if Steven Wilson re-did it.
Buy these. Period.

post #117 of 195 Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anyone get theirs from Amazon UK yet? Mine were due Tuesday...grrr...other stuff from them was due last Frday....usually they're on the mark timewise, so I am wondering what happened....had one shipment from them lost before, then suddenly appeared after two months!?!
post #118 of 195 Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Anyone get theirs from Amazon UK yet? Mine were due Tuesday...grrr...other stuff from them was due last Frday....usually they're on the mark timewise, so I am wondering what happened....had one shipment from them lost before, then suddenly appeared after two months!?!

Postal service playing tricks with us. My package was dispatched by HMV UK 13 days ago and though they usually arrive within a week, I once also had a similar experience like you with Amazon UK (Royal Mail): I contacted them about a possible lost package and they said that after 2 weeks the package is considered lost within European destination so they sent a replacement. And surprise! The replacement and the original package arrived on the same day exactly 21 days after the dispatch of the first package...

Now, I was so happy when HMV shipped both titles before the official release date, thinking that the waiting would be shorter...
post #119 of 195 Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM

My UK discs came Tuesday. ELP wasn't in shrink wrap - strange. Tarkus was. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, maybe tonight.

larry

post #120 of 195 Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My UK discs came Tuesday. ELP wasn't in shrink wrap - strange. Tarkus was. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, maybe tonight.
larry

Neither of mine from BS were shrink-wrapped. Came in a cardboard package that was open on one end. Fortunately, they were in good shape.

Hoping for a good listen today.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page