post #181 of 195 Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp2600 View Post

@StevenWilsonHQ: Ah no, I passed on doing any more work on the ELP catalogue, sorry (but glad you like those two)
This is what he tweeted a short while ago. He also tweeted the release dates of Larks Tongues in Aspic and Thick as a Brick, plus this:
"More 5.1s on the way..."

What a huge letdown. I was already imagining how good the rest of their classic catalogue could sound...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 195 Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How disappointing! Was looking forward to Trilogy and Pictures. Calling Elliot Scheiner.....
post #183 of 195 Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yes Nil, it is disappointing but in our surround\remaster\remix music world it is the reality.
I like you wish it were different.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #184 of 195 Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, but we don't know that they won't still be done, just that SW won't be doing them.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #185 of 195 Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Calling John Kellogg. I am pretty happy with the 5,1 mix he did with BSS and the Lucky Man track so it would not be a lesser product if he and Sony I guess could be persuaded to take up the job.
post #186 of 195 Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

You're dang tootin' I remember Record Club of America!
I still have the albums I bought from them. Led Zeppelin I, Blind Faith, Idlewild South, John BarleyCorn Must Die, etc.
I think you got like 6 albums free for joining helluva deal.
Of course, that's why I stuck my tongue out.

Once upon a time, I worked at RCoA ... as a mastering technician on their high-speed tape duping systems. We got 1/2" masters from many of the labels, duplicated them onto working masters and fed them to the banks of high speed cassette decks. And 8-tracks!
post #187 of 195 Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celluloid Hero View Post

Yep, saw the price and while sad (along with the lack of DVDA-lossless) it won't deter me because TAAB has been in the #1 spot in my musical heart since the day it was first released, and just like Aqualung I will get it. Besides I will most likely get it through Amazon like i always do and get it cheaper (as the price almost always comes down) with no shipping (...although most likely at a later date...as they are almost always deleyed) but like I said with the ELP discs I am a patient man so in the end it will be worth it to me. It's friken' TAAB in 5.1, the one I have been dreaming of in 5.1 forever!

Is anybody thinking that a lossless version will be released in the future? The cynic in me does ...

Jeff
post #188 of 195 Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Would love to have BSS in 5.1 - but at ~$60, I'll pass. Bummer.
ME too! I paid 14.99 for it back in the day. It once sold for $300.00 on ebay. I have a wole collection of dvd audio discs I bought back in 04,05. When they sold for avg. prices.
post #189 of 195 Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp2600 View Post

@StevenWilsonHQ: Ah no, I passed on doing any more work on the ELP catalogue, sorry (but glad you like those two)
This is what he tweeted a short while ago. He also tweeted the release dates of Larks Tongues in Aspic and Thick as a Brick, plus this:
"More 5.1s on the way..."

I have 'mixed' feelings about this (pun intended). Although I think he did ELP really well, I am disappointed in the quality of Tarkus. However, if the quality of ELP would be maintained, I would love to see the rest of the ELP catalog completed.

post #190 of 195 Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I have 'mixed' feelings about this (pun intended). Although I think he did ELP really well, I am disappointed in the quality of Tarkus. However, if the quality of ELP would be maintained, I would love to see the rest of the ELP catalog completed.

If you mean the difference in sonics, I agree, but as it was a flat transfer from the original analog tapes, it was not SW's fault.
post #191 of 195 Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
There's good news and possibly bad news in ELP land. There will be more surround albums coming out, but Steven Wilson will not be doing the mixes. Anyone familiar with Jakko's work?

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson2.html

Q: What does it take beyond money to get you interested in a remix project?

I’ve got to love the album and people involved. It’s as simple as that. I get invited to do a lot of stuff, believe me. I did two Emerson, Lake and Palmer albums, but I’ve chosen not to do any more of their records because I can’t honestly say I love them. I didn’t feel as connected to them as the King Crimson or Jethro Tull albums. So, Jakko Jakszyk will be doing the next two for ELP and he’ll do a great job.
post #192 of 195 Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a DVD-A Jakko co-produced and mixed with Robert Fripp released on the DGM Inner Knot label. It's called "A Scarcity of Miracles" Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins...A King Crimson ProjeKct. Mel Collins, Tony Levin and Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree drummer) play on the album with Fripp and Jakko does all vocals and keys, also plays guitar and appears to have written the lyrics and developed the material from initial improvisations with Fripp and Collins (sax). Recorded in 2011, I find the 5.1 mix and SQ excellent IMO, sounds very much like a Steven Wilson mix but his name is not in the credits. Credit is given to Jakszyk and Fripp for mixing and production, Simon Heyworth did the mastering and Neil Wilkes authored the DVD. Both 96/24 5.1 and 2.0 mixes in MLP lossless are on the DVD-A. Music is kind of jazzy prog with both songs and instrumental passages. It has really grown on me with repeated listening. This is all I've heard of Jakko's work, but based on the surround mix on this album, I think the next ELP albums should be in good hands.
post #193 of 195 Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

I have a DVD-A Jakko co-produced and mixed with Robert Fripp released on the DGM Inner Knot label. It's called "A Scarcity of Miracles" Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins...A King Crimson ProjeKct. Mel Collins, Tony Levin and Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree drummer) play on the album with Fripp and Jakko does all vocals and keys, also plays guitar and appears to have written the lyrics and developed the material from initial improvisations with Fripp and Collins (sax). Recorded in 2011, I find the 5.1 mix and SQ excellent IMO, sounds very much like a Steven Wilson mix but his name is not in the credits. Credit is given to Jakszyk and Fripp for mixing and production, Simon Heyworth did the mastering and Neil Wilkes authored the DVD. Both 96/24 5.1 and 2.0 mixes in MLP lossless are on the DVD-A. Music is kind of jazzy prog with both songs and instrumental passages. It has really grown on me with repeated listening. This is all I've heard of Jakko's work, but based on the surround mix on this album, I think the next ELP albums should be in good hands.

Thanks. I might hold off on the new ELP's till I hear the reviews. There's nothing more annoying to me than a lousy surround mix, so I'll let other people be guinea pigs. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip on the JFC album. It looks interesting. It got a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon, but a lot people were complaining it wasn't King Crimson so they panned it. rolleyes.gif I didn't realize Jakko was in Level 42. It's quite a change going from Britpop to Fripp!
post #194 of 195 Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Well how come "Lucky Man" sounds better then the New version if it was the same tapes?? I hear more bass in the Kellog version on BSS??

post #195 of 195 Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Same original tapes but different producer and engineer = different results.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page