SACD ilink (firewire) from player to computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon 3910 with ilink (firewire) as an option for playing SACDs and DVD-As digitally on amps with ilink. As far as I know, there is no way to play an SACD on a computer but I wondered if there might be some way to connect my player via ilink with my computer, or via my MOTU 828 and then into my computer. Is there a player firmware upgrade, a driver for the computer, or, whatever, that would make this possible? I realize that there is a way to make SACD disc images with old PS3s and it seems that there might be possible to write software to get a the 3910 to communicate with the computer. I realize I am grasping at straws here but was hoping one of you tekkies could shed some light on the topic.....

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklizard View Post

I have a Denon 3910 with ilink (firewire) as an option for playing SACDs and DVD-As digitally on amps with ilink. As far as I know, there is no way to play an SACD on a computer but I wondered if there might be some way to connect my player via ilink with my computer, or via my MOTU 828 and then into my computer. Is there a player firmware upgrade, a driver for the computer, or, whatever, that would make this possible? I realize that there is a way to make SACD disc images with old PS3s and it seems that there might be possible to write software to get a the 3910 to communicate with the computer. I realize I am grasping at straws here but was hoping one of you tekkies could shed some light on the topic.....

Thanks a bunch!

The firmware in the 3910 prevents this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
If you can find a computer Firewire driver that talks iLink it should work. Since the protocol was meant for CE devices I doubt you'll find one. Plus the driver would need to be licensed to use iLink. Good luck.

Having said all that, lookie here! http://download.driverguide.com/driv.../d1449660.html

I used a 3910 connected to a Pio receiver for a bit. So, the 3910 doesn't discriminate against other manufacturers. DenonLink is a different story.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

If you can find a computer Firewire driver that talks iLink it should work. Since the protocol was meant for CE devices I doubt you'll find one. Plus the driver would need to be licensed to use iLink. Good luck.

Having said all that, lookie here! http://download.driverguide.com/driv.../d1449660.html

I used a 3910 connected to a Pio receiver for a bit. So, the 3910 doesn't discriminate against other manufacturers. DenonLink is a different story.

larry

SACD requires a 5C / DTCP / Encrypted handshake, which the computer will not be able to pass, so no SACD/DVDA goodness from the deck to computer.

Now if you can handle the AVC Security command and authenticate the computer, then you could decrypt the hi-res bits all day long and dump bit perfect disc images.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

SACD requires a 5C / DTCP / Encrypted handshake, which the computer will not be able to pass, so no SACD/DVDA goodness from the deck to computer.

Now if you can handle the AVC Security command and authenticate the computer, then you could decrypt the hi-res bits all day long and dump bit perfect disc images.

So, the driver will allow a connection with iLink devices but one would still need the additional 5C authentication software (I assume) to meet the DRM requirements.

Now that I think of it, one may be able to use the drivers in the other direction than we are talking about. One could use a computer for a front end and connect to a iLink capable DAC or receiver.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

So, the driver will allow a connection with iLink devices but one would still need the additional 5C authentication software (I assume) to meet the DRM requirements.

Now that I think of it, one may be able to use the drivers in the other direction than we are talking about. One could use a computer for a front end and connect to a iLink capable DAC or receiver.

larry

Correct, unless one has DTCP encryption keys, the computer will not be allowed to setup a connection to stream hi resolution SACD streams. As I recall the licensing for SACD requires encrypted content transfer regardless of type of content/flagging whereas DVD-Audio was less strict and only requires encryption if the content is flagged to require it.

Yes-you can use a computer to connect to a iLink capable receiver to stream audio so long as the application streams the proper A&M protocol and the computer represents itself as an appropriate subnit type on the firewire network.

Your easiest way of doing this would be to use a mac computer with their firewire sdk.

As I recall reading the archives, someone here wrote a windows driver/app which was able to successfully stream a subset of the allowed audio codec encapsulated into firewire packets to a ?pioneer? receiver. They have not been around for years though.

I dont have the Denon mentioned by the OP, but I do have a Yamaha DVD-S2500 and Pioneer DV-47Ai and can tell you that whoever wrote the Yamaha firewire implementation should be flogged/beaten/then shot & buried. What a POS. It does not behave properly when there are multiple devices on the network. It barely implements a disc subunit type, and if you send it any commands which it does not support, it locks up the firewire functionality requiring a power cycling. In contrast, the Sony MDS/CDP-LSA1 implements wonderful, feature rich disc subunits. I just received the Pioneer and need to re-arrange all my CE equipment after cleaning all the carpeting and re-wiriing everything. So, I have not had a chance to fire up the Pioneer yet to see what it can do/support.

I saw a brand new pioneer 74 iLink receiver a month or 2 ago and wanted to snag it but the bidding looked fishy and someone jacked the price over $600 in a matter of minutes, so I stepped back. I keep my eye out for a brand new iLink capable receiver to show up on fleabay again.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM

I used a 47ai and Pio receiver for a few years with iLink. When I sold them (4-5 years ago) I put the 47ai on Audiogon for $250 and the receiver for about $1000 ($4K+ MSRP). I was shipping them out 2 days later.

Hopefully the OP comes back and learns something.

larry

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page