The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust DVD 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't recall seeing this reported here, but while looking at the ELP 5.1 upcoming releases on Amazon UK I noticed this announcement:

"This 40th anniversary edition has been remastered by the album's original Trident Studios engineer Ray Staff. This limited edition vinyl features the new 2012 remaster with a 5.1 mix and high resolution audio on DVD. The bonus DVD also includes previously unreleased Ken Scott mixes of "Moonage Daydream" (instrumental), "The Supermen", "Velvet Goldmine" and "Sweet Head"."

To be released June 4, 2012.

I have the multichannel SACD that was mixed in 2003 (30th anniversary edition?), and will probably hold off until I read reviews on this 40th anniversary edition. Does anyone have an opinion on whether these releases from ELP and Bowie at Amazon UK will ever be available at Amazon US? It would be nice to save on shipping charges and foreign exchange fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
This is the info from Bowie's FB page:

'REMASTERED ZIGGY 40TH VINYL/CD/DVD DUE IN JUNE

I'd come on like a regular superstar...

EMI are excited to announce the release of a 40th anniversary edition of David Bowie’s truly groundbreaking and hugely influential album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars.

Due on June 4th (June 5th U.S.) – to mark the 40th anniversary of Ziggy, the formats will include the following...

------------------------------​------------------------------​-----------------

CD:

A new 2012 remaster of the original album. Digitally remastered by Ray Staff, original mastering engineer for Ziggy at Trident Studios, and Ken Scott – original co-producer.

LP:
A new 2012 remaster of the original album on heavyweight 180g vinyl. Digitally remastered by Ray Staff.

DVD:
2012 remaster (96/24 PCM stereo) Digitally remastered by Ray Staff.

Ken Scott 2003 5.1 mixes (DTS 48/24 & Dolby Digital) and stereo fold downs (48/24 PCM) – original album plus the following 5.1 previously unreleased bonus tracks:

Moonage Daydream (instrumental)
The Supermen
Velvet Goldmine
Sweet Head

There will also be a digital download of the new 2012 remaster.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is good news for me since I stupidly held off buying the SACD when it was $15. I ordered it through Amazon UK a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the DVD only comes with the vinyl. It's still not a bad price considering what the SACD costs now.

DVD/Vinyl

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ziggy-Stardu...5916354&sr=8-1

CD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-Fall-Zi...5916399&sr=8-2

2 CD set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ziggy-Stardu...5916438&sr=8-3
post #3 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Excellent! Even if it was the same 2003 remaster I'd still get the DVD-A so I could rip the hi-rez tracks for playback. I'd love to get the previous releases of his catalog remastered on DVD-A!

larry

Amazon.com has the pre-order, too. It's somewhat more expensive than the UK version with shipping.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'll get the DVD for the 96/24 stereo part. Look forward to it.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Excellent! Even if it was the same 2003 remaster I'd still get the DVD-A so I could rip the hi-rez tracks for playback. I'd love to get the previous releases of his catalog remastered on DVD-A!

larry

Amazon.com has the pre-order, too. It's somewhat more expensive than the UK version with shipping.

This is not a DVD-A, it's a DVD-V with audio only on it.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

This is not a DVD-A, it's a DVD-V with audio only on it.

NBD. I'm just interested in the 24/96 2ch. Too bad they didn't do a DVD-A for the hi-rez multi-ch folks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 18 Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

NBD. I'm just interested in the 24/96 2ch. Too bad they didn't do a DVD-A for the hi-rez multi-ch folks.

larry

Yes, too bad, but I'll buy it anyway. I don't think I own a DVD-V audio only disk currently. My King Crimson "Court..." DVD-A in MLP Lossless 5.1 is an extreme treat for my old ears.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #8 of 18 Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Yes, too bad, but I'll buy it anyway. I don't think I own a DVD-V audio only disk currently. My King Crimson "Court..." DVD-A in MLP Lossless 5.1 is an extreme treat for my old ears.

I have just a few audio-only DVD-Vs in my collection, however, one in particular is exceptional: Chicago Transit Authority, one of Rhino's Quatro re-releases in quad. Although I always prefer hi-rez lossless audio in a format such as DVD-A, the CTA release shows that lossy DTS audio can still have really good sound quality.

I do have the Ziggy SACD and although it's one of my favorite albums, unfortunately, the 5.1 mix just doesn't quite do it for me, and should have been better. It looks like this release will have the same MCH mix but in lossy DTS and DD. However, I'll be interested to see reviews on the new hi-rez stereo re-master. I have 3 versions of Ziggy, including my vinyl copy. I might need a fourth if the hi-rez stereo remaster is exceptional.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I have just a few audio-only DVD-Vs in my collection, however, one in particular is exceptional: Chicago Transit Authority, one of Rhino's Quatro re-releases in quad. Although I always prefer hi-rez lossless audio in a format such as DVD-A, the CTA release shows that lossy DTS audio can still have really good sound quality.

I do have the Ziggy SACD and although it's one of my favorite albums, unfortunately, the 5.1 mix just doesn't quite do it for me, and should have been better. It looks like this release will have the same MCH mix but in lossy DTS and DD. However, I'll be interested to see reviews on the new hi-rez stereo re-master. I have 3 versions of Ziggy, including my vinyl copy. I might need a fourth if the hi-rez stereo remaster is exceptional.

That's what I want as well the hi-rez stereo master. I don't care about the vinyl. But it seems you have to buy both. I'm wondering since a high-rez stereo master exists if it will eventually make its way to hdtracks or Bowie.com as a flac download. Hope so.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Release date was supposed to be June 4th. Anyone have it yet?
post #11 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Several on computeraudiophile have reported getting them. Amazon has it for 32 + change. EBay starting to have used show up.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

AmazonUK listed mine as shipped on Wednesday, so I'll probably get it in the next day or so.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 AM

Mine came last week and I haven't had a chance to open it yet.

larry

post #14 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked: 11
One review on Amazon says the 5.1 mix is horrid. Anyone here have the disc yet and care to offer their opinion?
post #15 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the dvd was a 24/96 2 channel mix.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I thought the dvd was a 24/96 2 channel mix.

From Amazon.

"Editorial Reviews
This 40th anniversary edition has been remastered by original Trident Studios engineer Ray Staff (at London s Air Studios). This special, limited edition format of 180G heavyweight vinyl features the new 2012 remaster with a 5.1 mix and high resolution audio on DVD"

Sounds like both are on the DVD.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine finally came on Saturday. The box was all beat up and it had been opened by customs. The vinyl was still sealed, thankfully. I wonder if they had a good laugh when they saw it was only a Bowie album.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 AM

I opened mine this weekend and ripped the 24/96 2ch PCM. Sounds fine to me although I didn't compare it to the CD. The album is one stout piece of vinyl, too. Too bad they didn't make them like that "back in the day". smile.gif The other tracks on the disk were DD and DTS 6ch and 16/48 2ch PCM (I don't think it was 24/48 2ch). I didn't bother taking the DVD to my HT to listen to the multi-ch.

larry

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page