post #31 of 41 Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Camden NJ '03 sounds great. Agree about MG; winced at her shaky attempt on Don't Give Up.
I was playing the UP tour DVD over the weekend, and in the bonus section there was an excerpt from the original Secret World Live DVD. The PQ from the recent Blu-Ray release is significantly better.

Maybe when he was giving himself a reverse mohawk in his Genesis days he accidently creased a nerve that affects his hearing. biggrin.gif It's amazing he can't hear her singing. i actually think it tarnishes his legacy considering what great female singers he's worked with in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Pre-order info is finally up on Amazon. It looks like there will be no surround mix of this. I guess I'll stick with my SACD.

Single Disc

http://www.amazon.com/So-Peter-Gabriel/dp/B008V59AF2/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344657299&sr=1-3&keywords=peter%20gabriel&tag=vglnkc4192-20

The single CD format features the re-mastered So album

3 Disc Set

http://www.amazon.com/25th-Anniversary-Deluxe-Peter-Gabriel/dp/B008V59AFW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344657299&sr=1-1&keywords=peter%20gabriel&tag=vglnkc4192-20

Includes the newly remastered So + Live in Athens 1987, two discs of previously unreleased audio remixed in stereo , exclusive Peter Gabriel postcards and 16 page booklet.
Live In Athens 1987

8 Disc Immersion Set

http://www.amazon.com/So-25th-Anniversary-Immersion-Box/dp/B008BSPQ3E/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344657299&sr=1-2&keywords=peter%20gabriel&tag=vglnkc4192-20

A Limited Edition Deluxe box set comprises the re-mastered So album, the 2CD Live in Athens 1987 album, So DNA CD which gives a unique insight into the writing and recording of So, experienced via a track by track evolutionary process leading you from the early moments when rhythms, melodies and lyrical ideas were discovered through the various stages of song development and recording.

Two previously unreleased DVD s : Live in Athens 1987 , Directed by Michael Chapman, Executive Producer Martin Scorsese. This was the first filmed Peter Gabriel concert, now fully restored and pieced together from over 150 reels of original 35mm negatives and remixed in 5.1, this concert is made available for the first time on DVD.

So: Classic Album documentary. The latest addition to the acclaimed & award winning Classic Album series tells the story behind the making of Peter Gabriel s 1986 album So and features contributions from many of those involved in the album and videos, with interviews with Peter Gabriel, co-producer Daniel Lanois and many more.

12 AA vinyl
An 180grm So LP mastered at half speed to maximize the audio quality & the track listing, unlike the original, is that favoured by the artist.

Double A side 12 vinyl collectible containing two previously unreleased tracks Courage and Sagrada plus Don t Give Up (alternative version piano and bvox mix) and a 60 page case bound book including an introduction and So DNA summary by Peter Gabriel, new liner notes and an extensive collection of rare and never before seen photographs.

EDIT According to this website, PG will release more info about this next week . So there may be hope yet.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/08/11/peter-gabriel-so-25th-anniversary-immersion-box-set/
This is now part of the Box set description:

The Deluxe Box will also include a 24 bit download option for all of the audio.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #33 of 41 Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

themusic.com will be releasing soundboard sourced CD sets (not CD-Rs) of the 25th Anniversary So tour, just like previous Gabriel tours.

http://themusic.com/
post #34 of 41 Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 AM

My box came the other day. Very impressive "book" with pics and stuff. I haven't download the hirez stuff yet. I wish Fripp would have added "making of" material like this in the KC box sets.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #35 of 41 Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I did not buy the Deluxe box set because the price and the contents are a far cry from each other but the Society of Sound over at the Bower and Wilkins website is selling the high-res stereo dowload (24bit 48kHz), which sounds absolutely amazing.
post #36 of 41 Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 AM

There's also a 720P download for the concert video.

larry

edit: I spoke before downloading. 4 songs: 'Mercy Street', 'Don't Give Up', 'Sledgehammer' and 'In Your Eyes'.

post #37 of 41 Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

PG has released an new free app for the So album named So...Gabble. So far it's only iOS, but I'm sure it will be on Android soon.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/so...gabble/id571337491?ls=1&mt=8

In addition, the soundboard CD's from all the So concerts should be available this week from themusic.com. They are also releasing these on USB flash drives around 11/15, which sounds very interesting!
post #38 of 41 Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

PG has released an new free app for the So album named So...Gabble. So far it's only iOS, but I'm sure it will be on Android soon.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/so...gabble/id571337491?ls=1&mt=8
In addition, the soundboard CD's from all the So concerts should be available this week from themusic.com. They are also releasing these on USB flash drives around 11/15, which sounds very interesting!

Any news on the blu-ray release? JK, of course, but that's what I hope for- and the sooner the better- as my current economic state forced me to pass on the shows- love to see the next-best-thing to being there. I'm still loving the Secret World BR- what a show- PG at his peak, awesome band, great songs, cool staging- has taken over the spot as my fave BR concert- I have to stop myself from playing it so I don't burn it out. Hope to be able to add the So Anniv tour soon...
post #39 of 41 Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Nil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ordered the soundboard CDs for the local show; which I did not attend. Thanks for the heads-up. These days I am more inclined to save my money for BR and other great sounding releases, what with the prices for tickets and bad sound at many live shows. The downside is that too many directors try for the edgy, epilepsy-inducing video or worse, a hipstamatic arty look (Lasse Hoile, please give it a rest). But the audio quality generally wins out.

From what I understand, PG indicated that there were no plans for a BR release of Live in Athens 1987. It may be a long time before the current So tour shows up on video, let alone BR. OTOH, PG may be looking to supplement his retirement funds (as the low fidelity So box set seems to indicate.).
post #40 of 41 Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Ordered the soundboard CDs for the local show; which I did not attend. Thanks for the heads-up. These days I am more inclined to save my money for BR and other great sounding releases, what with the prices for tickets and bad sound at many live shows. The downside is that too many directors try for the edgy, epilepsy-inducing video or worse, a hipstamatic arty look (Lasse Hoile, please give it a rest). But the audio quality generally wins out.
From what I understand, PG indicated that there were no plans for a BR release of Live in Athens 1987. It may be a long time before the current So tour shows up on video, let alone BR. OTOH, PG may be looking to supplement his retirement funds (as the low fidelity So box set seems to indicate.).

I totally agree about the cinematography of most concert videos- trying too hard to be "artistic" at the expense of the subject matter. I always thought a good use of the angle function on dvd's would have been to shoot a concert with a camera for each performer and allow the user to choose which angle (i.e. which performer) to watch- just like at a real show. Then, when a musician has that killer solo, you could watch that entire performance, instead of being shown a few seconds of that solo, then have the camera move to something irrelevant, like the singer banging on a tambourine. KC did a dvd like this, but the implementation was not real smooth- the whole menu system on that disc was very confusing- on purpose, I believe. Would love to see something like that tried on BR.

That being said, even though PG always seems to put a lot of merit into the artistic side of his video productions, the shots are better conceived and the cuts are more reasonable than most live shows. Still, would love to be able to watch TL play a lot more. I hope the recent tour gets a release sooner rather than later.

The Live in Athens show- is that the one that was previously released only on VHS? The tour for Security? Would love to have a better copy of that. I'd be happy with even a dvd upgrade of that show.
post #41 of 41 Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Liked: 10
Those interested in the 2012 mix, there are 24 bit flacs available. Oddly it is 24/48khz.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music/Peter-Gabriel-So.html
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page