Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I was going through my MC DVD-a's and SACD MC releases and was rather enjoying the Surround sound very much..
I then noticed "So" sitting in the corner and not getting much Play.. Well I put it in and played a few songs and was wondering Why this was NOT released in Multi Channel.. IT would have made for a spectacular MC release..

While the SACD Stereo Sounds Really good I would hope there would be a Future release in MC any Rumors of that possibly happening.. Such a Missed Opportunity here I am sure Most here would agree..

So any News or Rumblings of "So" Being released in MC??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 AM

I thought Pink Floyd's The Wall would of been spectacular in MCH but we didn't receive it in the Immersion set. You just made another fine example with Peter Gabriel's So. I guess it comes down to money and time why these and other fine releases don't get the same treatment unfortunately ): Check the wish list post.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Creating MC mix isn't a small job. If you expect to sell only few thousand copies it does not make financial sense.
post #4 of 41 Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Peter Gabriel has the capability at his own recording studio to do the M/C remixes for his albums. Does he want to? That's the question. He doesn't seem to want to "look back" on past endeavors, i.e. Genesis M/C SACD remixes (his inaction delayed the SACD releases by a couple of years), Genesis Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame Induction (can't even take 1 day off?), etc.

I don't think M/C versions of the old Peter Gabriel SACDs will even come.

post #5 of 41 Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Agree with others here, PG's albums just beg to be done in surround.
The fact he put them out on Sacd in stereo only probably means they won't get the surround treatment which again is such a shame.
Who knows he might yet get the desire to have them done at his expense in surround. One can hope......

peter
post #6 of 41 Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

Peter Gabriel has the capability at his own recording studio to do the M/C remixes for his albums. Does he want to? That's the question. He doesn't seem to want to "look back" on past endeavors, i.e. Genesis M/C SACD remixes (his inaction delayed the SACD releases by a couple of years), Genesis Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame Induction (can't even take 1 day off?), etc.

I don't think M/C versions of the old Peter Gabriel SACDs will even come.

But does he have the know how ? I'm not saying he isn't talented which he is. I thinking it takes some experience, technic, cash ( Hopefully not your own) and a whole lot of time in your hand. I can only imagine there are some many method of doing one song, and going back to change a particular instrument from one channel to some other channel among a trillion things that can go wrong. Btw the way did he had anything to do with UP in mastering it for Multi ch?

That said I doubt it too we'll ever see So, Us, etc in multi channel/Hi Rez .

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

But does he have the know how ? I'm not saying he isn't talented which he is. I thinking it takes some experience, technic, cash ( Hopefully not your own) and a whole lot of time in your hand. I can only imagine there are some many method of doing one song, and going back to change a particular instrument from one channel to some other channel among a trillion things that can go wrong. Btw the way did he had anything to do with UP in mastering it for Multi ch?

That said I doubt it too we'll ever see So, Us, etc in multi channel/Hi Rez .

Djoel

He definitely does, the 5.1 mixes that are on "Play: The Videos" were all done by PG and Daniel Lanois and there's a liner note about how much fun they had doing them, how they appreciated that it conveyed the music differently (in addition to the fact they re-worked some of the songs anyway) and how he felt surround had potential.

Just need to remind him that the studio albums await, I would love to see So get the first treatment.

Up in 5.1 SACD sounds incredible, especially "I Grieve".
post #8 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

....(in addition to the fact they re-worked some of the songs anyway)

Just need to remind him that the studio albums await, I would love to see So get the first treatment.

Up in 5.1 SACD sounds incredible, especially "I Grieve".

This just might be a total disaster since Peter has obviously become tone deaf. How else can you explain how he keeps letting his daughter sing? Just imagine if he re-works his classics with Melanie adding new vocals?
post #9 of 41 Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

This just might be a total disaster since Peter has obviously become tone deaf. How else can you explain how he keeps letting his daughter sing? Just imagine if he re-works his classics with Melanie adding new vocals?

Have a daughter, maybe that will answer your question.

But seriously, if you think the new arrangements of the songs on Play from 2004 when she was already singing live are a disaster then I'm surprised, I thought they were really good.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-22-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Have a daughter, maybe that will answer your question.

But seriously, if you think the new arrangements of the songs on Play from 2004 when she was already singing live are a disaster then I'm surprised, I thought they were really good.

I rebuild vintage tube amps and I 'd never think of letting my daughter stick her fingers inside of one! Every time Melanie opens her mouth, it actually brings the music to a stop IMHO.

There is a 25th Anniversary Edition of So that is supposedly coming out in September. There will be a CD, special edition 3-CD set, and Super Deluxe Box Set. The date is according to Peter so it should actually be coming out in August 2015! No info on what is going to be on it yet so there may be 5.1. Keep your fingers crossed.

There will also be a tour to coincide with the release. The album will be played in its entirety with many of the original musicians. I'm sure Melanie will be there to fill in the Kate Bush vocals.

http://realworldmultimedia.com/m/pg_...l_version.html
post #11 of 41 Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I snagged 10th row centre floor for the Toronto stop.

I will take a sign that says something like:

PLEASE DO A 5.1
REMIX OF "SO"
FOR BLU-RAY
OR SACD AUDIO
davidbarrickman likes this.
post #12 of 41 Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtullfan View Post

I thought Pink Floyd's The Wall would of been spectacular in MCH but we didn't receive it in the Immersion set. You just made another fine example with Peter Gabriel's So. I guess it comes down to money and time why these and other fine releases don't get the same treatment unfortunately ): Check the wish list post.

word has come that the wall original tapes are in very poor condition and talking longer to do the 5.1 mix but it is progressing and will be released on SACD
post #13 of 41 Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Word is there will also be a BD release of So. This is getting very interesting!
post #14 of 41 Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Word is there will also be a BD release of So. This is getting very interesting!

Where did you hear that from? I think they could do three Blu-Rays.

1) 5.1 mix and videos
2) Live in Athens
3) Classic Albums Documentary

I think we're definitely getting 2 and 3, not so sure about 1 although if they used the 5.1 mixes on PLAY, then they would only need to mix 3 more songs to have the complete album in surround, so we'll see...
post #15 of 41 Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would be ALL OVer that wink.gif

post #16 of 41 Old 06-24-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Talbot View Post

Where did you hear that from? I think they could do three Blu-Rays.
1) 5.1 mix and videos
2) Live in Athens
3) Classic Albums Documentary
I think we're definitely getting 2 and 3, not so sure about 1 although if they used the 5.1 mixes on PLAY, then they would only need to mix 3 more songs to have the complete album in surround, so we'll see...

I was surfing through some prog sites the other day and was surprised when I read that. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find it again but it did mention So and Secret World coming out in BD. SW is already up for pre-order but nothing on So.

Let's take one step back and remember it's PG we're talking about here. He works at his own pace and we all know what that pace is. Glacial. There's still no info from him about what is going to be on any edition that's allegedly coming out. Right now, I'll consider it a minor miracle if anything comes out on time! biggrin.gif
post #17 of 41 Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Peter has less incentive to rush out all those versions of So!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/tesco-buys-we7/
post #18 of 41 Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Heh!

- thankful for her fine fair discount, TESS CO-operates
Still alone in o-hell-o
- see the deadly nightshade grow

Much as I like So, I have grown to appreciate Us even more. It is his masterpiece, and its dense and complex sound beggs to be opened up in 5.1 surround sound. But I will take them both in multichannel again even if I already have the stereo SACDs.
post #19 of 41 Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like we might have the answer to the upcoming BD of So.. As long Melanie isn't anywhere to help out rolleyes.gif, this will be a pre-order for me. Release date 9/18.

470x600px_LL_707994f5_petergabrielcaso.jpg
post #20 of 41 Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

It looks like we might have the answer to the upcoming BD of So.. As long Melanie isn't anywhere to help out rolleyes.gif, this will be a pre-order for me. Release date 9/18.
470x600px_LL_707994f5_petergabrielcaso.jpg

I'll pass as this Bluray looks to be nothing other than a "making of" So rolleyes.gif.

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/2012/07/17/peter-gabriel-classic-albums-so-on-dvd-blu-ray-and-digital-video/

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #21 of 41 Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Release date of the album is pushed back to Oct. What did I tell you guys? smile.gif Peter strikes again. The super duper deluxe box is supposed to be 8 (!) discs. There is still limited info on any specifics, but it looks like outtakes and alternate takes will only be available on the 8 disc super set.

http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Peter-Gabriel-So-anniversary-editions-overview-n290.html
post #22 of 41 Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

Release date of the album is pushed back to Oct. What did I tell you guys? smile.gif Peter strikes again. The super duper deluxe box is supposed to be 8 (!) discs. There is still limited info on any specifics, but it looks like outtakes and alternate takes will only be available on the 8 disc super set.
http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Peter-Gabriel-So-anniversary-editions-overview-n290.html

I mean seriously how can one album such as So have 7 CDs of outtakes and alternate takes? If there is no Hi-Rez MCH version I'm not the least bit interested.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #23 of 41 Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I mean seriously how can one album such as So have 7 CDs of outtakes and alternate takes? If there is no Hi-Rez MCH version I'm not the least bit interested.
Bill

Actually I'd love to hear some of his outtakes. He supposedly has hundreds of partly finished songs that he won't release until he thinks they're ready. It would be interesting to hear some of the other things that have come out of his talented head. However, only one CD will be outtakes. 2 CD's will be a Live in Athens concert. There will be DVD's and/or BD's , 7" vinyl and a 60 pg.book. But nothing is definite yet. They're probably waiting for Peter to make up his mind and that's why I keep saying it will come out in 2014! He's notorious for taking his time. Don't forget, it was originally supposed to be released last spring!
post #24 of 41 Old 07-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Nil

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that PG's Secret World Live has been reissued in Blu-Ray with DTS-HD MA surround. This is PG at his prime during the Us tour. It's very reasonably priced too.
post #25 of 41 Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that PG's Secret World Live has been reissued in Blu-Ray with DTS-HD MA surround. This is PG at his prime during the Us tour. It's very reasonably priced too.

Mine is due from Amazon any day now. Since the PQ of the DVD was absolutely dreadful wanted to check out the PQ before I brought it up here. It was originally shot in 16 mm so there isn't a lot to work with. Reviews have been all over the place but it's still not supposed to be a 5 star disc. AQ is lossless though. biggrin.gif

Edit.I had a chance to look at the BD. If anyone is interested I'll post a few BD vs. DVD impressions in the dedicated thread in the Blu-ray software forum.

If anyone is interested, there is a 50% off sale at TheMusic.com on all concert CD's from Peter's recent tours (as well as Genesis and The Who). These are all real CD's- not CD'r- take from the soundboards. I'm not an employee, I have a number of these and they're all great. Lots of stuff from So on all the tours.

http://www.themusic.com/search.cfm?sale=78&sidebar=encore
post #26 of 41 Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Nil

Not the greatest PQ for sure, but surely an improvement over the earlier release.; a 6/10 IMO. As for AQ, it is tastefully done in surround. Perhaps an 8/10, and a 9/10 overall for the historicity, classic collection of tracks, musicianship, lossless sound, price, etc. Perhaps he will now release the Up tour video in Blu-Ray (with DTS-HD MA sound)?

Could you recommend your favorite of the live PG CDs on sale that you currently have? Thanks.
post #27 of 41 Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Could you recommend your favorite of the live PG CDs on sale that you currently have? Thanks.

I have

Wantagh NY '03 ( which I saw live)
London England "04
Dublin Ireland '07
Monterrey Mexico '09

From what I understand the set list didn't change during each tour so you shouldn't go wrong in picking something. The set list does change in different tours. All the concerts I have are great which isn't surprising considering the level of musicians involved. AQ is surprisingly good in each disc. The only weak spot is his daughter. You can really hear her voice when it's routed through a soundboard and not processed in a studio. Believe me, it doesn't improve when it's live. rolleyes.gif

BTW, the same holds true for the Genesis tours, except the set list doesn't change at all.

At $10 each, you really can't go wrong whatever you pick.
post #28 of 41 Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Nil

Saw him in Mountain View, CA in '03, but this isn't on the list. I'll pick up something from his East Coast tour that year. It's a pity that Kate Bush doesn't perform on the Secret World Live recording. No one gets the notes on Don't Give Up like she does, and only her great voice could match the quality in his. Well, perhaps Shara Worden's pipes in The Decemberists' The Hazards of Love could be a worthy substitute.
post #29 of 41 Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Pre-order info is finally up on Amazon. It looks like there will be no surround mix of this. I guess I'll stick with my SACD.

Single Disc

http://www.amazon.com/So-Peter-Gabriel/dp/B008V59AF2/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344657299&sr=1-3&keywords=peter%20gabriel&tag=vglnkc4192-20

The single CD format features the re-mastered So album

3 Disc Set

http://www.amazon.com/25th-Anniversary-Deluxe-Peter-Gabriel/dp/B008V59AFW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344657299&sr=1-1&keywords=peter%20gabriel&tag=vglnkc4192-20

Includes the newly remastered So + Live in Athens 1987, two discs of previously unreleased audio remixed in stereo , exclusive Peter Gabriel postcards and 16 page booklet.
Live In Athens 1987

8 Disc Immersion Set

http://www.amazon.com/So-25th-Anniversary-Immersion-Box/dp/B008BSPQ3E/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344657299&sr=1-2&keywords=peter%20gabriel&tag=vglnkc4192-20

A Limited Edition Deluxe box set comprises the re-mastered So album, the 2CD Live in Athens 1987 album, So DNA CD which gives a unique insight into the writing and recording of So, experienced via a track by track evolutionary process leading you from the early moments when rhythms, melodies and lyrical ideas were discovered through the various stages of song development and recording.

Two previously unreleased DVD s : Live in Athens 1987 , Directed by Michael Chapman, Executive Producer Martin Scorsese. This was the first filmed Peter Gabriel concert, now fully restored and pieced together from over 150 reels of original 35mm negatives and remixed in 5.1, this concert is made available for the first time on DVD.

So: Classic Album documentary. The latest addition to the acclaimed & award winning Classic Album series tells the story behind the making of Peter Gabriel s 1986 album So and features contributions from many of those involved in the album and videos, with interviews with Peter Gabriel, co-producer Daniel Lanois and many more.

12 AA vinyl
An 180grm So LP mastered at half speed to maximize the audio quality & the track listing, unlike the original, is that favoured by the artist.

Double A side 12 vinyl collectible containing two previously unreleased tracks Courage and Sagrada plus Don t Give Up (alternative version piano and bvox mix) and a 60 page case bound book including an introduction and So DNA summary by Peter Gabriel, new liner notes and an extensive collection of rare and never before seen photographs.

EDIT According to this website, PG will release more info about this next week . So there may be hope yet.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/08/11/peter-gabriel-so-25th-anniversary-immersion-box-set/
davidbarrickman likes this.
post #30 of 41 Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Nil

Quote:

The only weak spot is his daughter. You can really hear her voice when it's routed through a soundboard and not processed in a studio.

Camden NJ '03 sounds great. Agree about MG; winced at her shaky attempt on Don't Give Up.

I was playing the UP tour DVD over the weekend, and in the bonus section there was an excerpt from the original Secret World Live DVD. The PQ from the recent Blu-Ray release is significantly better.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page