Confused about Dolby VS (Virtual Speaker) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On the Dolby website, it describes VS as virtual surround for 2ch setups:

Because Dolby Virtual Speaker works with any pair of stereo speakers, you can get great surround sound even in small spaces, and with almost any kind of devicePCs, A/V receivers, sound bars, TVs, and portable DVD players, just to name a few. Simply look for the Dolby Virtual Speaker logo and count on experiencing incredible surround soundwith just two speakersno matter where you are listening.

What I don't understand then is why my receiver has a 5 channel 'VS' mode. If all the speakers are active, what is the 'virtual' aspect of this? What's the effect? Also, what's the difference between VS 5 channel mode and the various Pro Logic modes?

I'm asking mostly because I actually prefer the 5 channel Dolby VS Wide over the Pro Logic modes, but there's not much info or discussion about it that I can find.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...r-details.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza View Post

On the Dolby website, it describes VS as virtual surround for 2ch setups:

Because Dolby Virtual Speaker works with any pair of stereo speakers, you can get great surround sound even in small spaces, and with almost any kind of devicePCs, A/V receivers, sound bars, TVs, and portable DVD players, just to name a few. Simply look for the Dolby Virtual Speaker logo and count on experiencing incredible surround soundwith just two speakersno matter where you are listening.

What I don't understand then is why my receiver has a 5 channel 'VS' mode. If all the speakers are active, what is the 'virtual' aspect of this? What's the effect? Also, what's the difference between VS 5 channel mode and the various Pro Logic modes?

I'm asking mostly because I actually prefer the 5 channel Dolby VS Wide over the Pro Logic modes, but there's not much info or discussion about it that I can find.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...r-details.html

Here is what your link says:

"Two-speaker stereo sound has always been limited to just thatstereo. Two speakers, two channels. Now Dolby® Virtual Speaker changes all that by simulating an incredibly realistic 5.1-speaker surround sound listening environment from as few as two stereo speakers. So whether your content source is two-channel stereo or true 5.1-channel audio, you'll be immersed in rich, engaging Dolby surround sound. Your movies, TV shows, and music will sound better than ever".

The 5 channel VS is probably used to simulate surround sound effects of 2 channel sources.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza View Post

What I don't understand then is why my receiver has a 5 channel 'VS' mode. If all the speakers are active, what is the 'virtual' aspect of this? What's the effect?

The 5-ch VS mode widens the effect of the front speakers when playing 5.1 content on 5.1 speakers. It was intended for cases like TVs where the speakers are close together. But you can use it in any case.

Quote:

Also, what's the difference between VS 5 channel mode and the various Pro Logic modes?

PLII can upmix 2-ch sources to feed 5.1 speakers. PLIIx can upmix 2.0 or 5.1 content to feed 7.1 speakers

VS cannot upmix, but it uses PLII plus virtualization to create the illusion that there are either more and wider speakers (when playing from a 2-speaker system) or that speakers are wider (from a 5.1-speaker system).

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, guys.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page