Euro 2012 - broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 - is it actually 5.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so im sat there watching Netherlands v Germany, for the first time ever in 5.1 surround, with my onkyo 308tsxr amp, and q acoustics 2000 5.1 set.

ITs broadcast in DD 5.1. Except the sounds im hearing coming through the individual speakers dont make sense to me.
I always thought that 5.1 meant that the microphones attached to the cameras are picking up directional sounds.

i always assumed then, that say the camera is placed behind the crowd. Therefore with the camera feed you're watching, if someone was banging a drum infront of the camera to the left, you'd hear it , for example, out of the front left speaker.

when i was watching the match, i could hear the dutch crowd shouting (and it was deffo the dutch....because they were shouting 'HOLLAND' or something). They were towards the left of the pitch. Yet I was hearing this chanting behind me to the right.

So is my assumption completely wrong then. That 5.1 isn't actually a true representation of what you'd hear, if you were sat where the camera is placed?
If so, what the hell is the point in 5.1?

It seems to work well in movies, where the sounds definitely make sense with whats happening on screen, directionally, but with the football and the F1, the directional sounds i hear coming out of individual speakers make no sense at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It is in 5.1, but due to sideline restrictions, isn't what we are used to. The surround sound we are used to for domestic sports is generated primarily by the parabolic mics stationed close to the sidelines or carried by one of the production team members. For whatever reason, UEFA seems not to allow the parabolics on the sideline, so there isn't all that much in the way of directional sound in the mix.

UEFA in general seems to limit broadcast elements near the pitch. Sometimes, not so good (like this), but they also don't allow annoying sideline reporters to go on camera, which for me is a decidedly good thing.
schloss likes this.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
very interesting, thanks. Its a real shame - especially with the F1 channel, where they bombarded you with 'IN THRILLING 5.1 SOUND'.
it would be awesome if it was actually directional so its like you were there. It would add a massive sense of immersion.

oh well.