Wish I could hit random play in surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a decent selection of dvd audio , sacd and DTS discs in 5.1 surround that I wish I could hit the shuffle button on. I have a hard time just hearing one disc at a time , does anyone have a way to download everything to hard disc and play back in surround sound the whole library of music in random play ? Any help would be appreciated.thanks..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmav View Post

I have a decent selection of dvd audio , sacd and DTS discs in 5.1 surround that I wish I could hit the shuffle button on. I have a hard time just hearing one disc at a time , does anyone have a way to download everything to hard disc and play back in surround sound the whole library of music in random play ? Any help would be appreciated.thanks..........

Yes,
1. rip all of your discs to .flac files and tag them with the necessary metadata
2. place them in a common directory structure on a drive that is network sharable
3. Get yourself a high-def multichannel media streamer such as a Dune Player, Popcorn Hour or NetGear NeoTV500
4. Either create a playlist or hit the random button and have fun!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, the obvious solution is to rip all discs. It's what I do. Personally I hate physical mediums.

CDs are simple; just use EAC.
For DVD-A you need DVDA Extractor or foobar2000. Make sure you rip the DVD-A part and not the backwards compatible video part.
SACDs are difficult, because SACDs are encoded in DSD rather than LPCM. There may also be a backwards compatible Red Book (PCM/CD) layer, but that's not the one you want. You really want the high-resolution thing (I assume). You can go different routes here, but there's only one best method and it requires a SACD compatible PS3 with an old firmware.

- Do an analogue rip: if your player only has analogue RCA outputs or has disabled the digital output for SACDs, you have no choice. Just connect it to a PC with a proper sound card and start capturing it. This is quite lossy, since the signal will be DAC'ed first, then transmitted over a lossy channel and then captured and ADC'ed again. You really do want a GREAT soundcard for this. So no ****** Creative (pleonasm, meaning no Creative at all, period). Get a proper M-Audio.
- Do a digital rip: some high-end (modified?) Oppo and Denon players allow you to do a digital rip, meaning it will capture the digital signal before it is DAC'ed, but after a somewhat lossy DSD to PCM conversion has taken place inside the player.
- Do a PS3 rip. Using a SACD compatible PS3 player you can do a bitperfect DSD rip of any SACD. This is by far the most elegant method, but it does require a first/second generation SACD compatible fat PS3 with firmware 3.55 or older. Downgrading the firmware is not possible afaik.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06 View Post

Yeah, the obvious solution is to rip all discs. It's what I do. Personally I hate physical mediums.
CDs are simple; just use EAC.
For DVD-A you need DVDA Extractor or foobar2000. Make sure you rip the DVD-A part and not the backwards compatible video part.
SACDs are difficult, because SACDs are encoded in DSD rather than LPCM. There may also be a backwards compatible Red Book (PCM/CD) layer, but that's not the one you want. You really want the high-resolution thing (I assume). You can go different routes here, but there's only one best method and it requires a SACD compatible PS3 with an old firmware.
- Do an analogue rip: if your player only has analogue RCA outputs or has disabled the digital output for SACDs, you have no choice. Just connect it to a PC with a proper sound card and start capturing it. This is quite lossy, since the signal will be DAC'ed first, then transmitted over a lossy channel and then captured and ADC'ed again. You really do want a GREAT soundcard for this. So no ****** Creative (pleonasm, meaning no Creative at all, period). Get a proper M-Audio.
- Do a digital rip: some high-end (modified?) Oppo and Denon players allow you to do a digital rip, meaning it will capture the digital signal before it is DAC'ed, but after a somewhat lossy DSD to PCM conversion has taken place inside the player.
- Do a PS3 rip. Using a SACD compatible PS3 player you can do a bitperfect DSD rip of any SACD. This is by far the most elegant method, but it does require a first/second generation SACD compatible fat PS3 with firmware 3.55 or older. Downgrading the firmware is not possible afaik.

I sent you a PM.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page