New Steven Wilson BD/DVD "Get All You Deserve" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sept. 25, 2012...Grace for Drowning tour. Google it, they've got the Harmony Konie piece up. Can't wait. Sorry I missed the tour, but they were playing at the Fillmore...an awful venue...came out deaf the last time PT played there.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Sept. 25, 2012...Grace for Drowning tour. Google it, they've got the Harmony Konie piece up. Can't wait. Sorry I missed the tour, but they were playing at the Fillmore...an awful venue...came out deaf the last time PT played there.

Thanks for the heads up Ron. Amazon is only showing the CD, but I suspect it's the BD based on price. Guess I'll wait to preorder until it becomes clearer that it is indeed the set that includes the BR.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Looks like it can also be pre-ordered here from Burning Shed.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Received the BR yesterday and had a chance to listen all the way through. Great performance and (no surprise from SW), an absolutely fantastic recording/engineering effort. The DTS Master Audio is 96khz, which was a nice surprise.

Need to listen to it a few more times, but this may well be my new BR concert demo disk. Great balance and superb bass, particularly when the bass player switches over to the Chapman Stick during a couple of the tracks.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 104
OK, you just talked me into ordering it cool.gif

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

...came out deaf the last time PT played there.

Happens other places too. heard them on the Anesthetize tour here in Atlanta and they were so loud even ear-plugs were not enough. My AudioTools iPhone app recorded peaks of 128dB, avg was close to 115dB for extended periods eek.gif
post #7 of 12 Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Got my hands on the Blu-Ray disc today from Amazon US. Great concert recording and superb 5.1 DTS HD MA audio. Great band too, but I did miss Gavin Harrison's crisp syncopated beat. The picture quality was deliberately poor, often out of focus. It reminded me of 3D TV without the glasses. Not the Jonathan Demme school of rock concert video, which is a pity considering that this was a Blu-Ray disc. Am I the only one tiring of Lasse Hoile's contributions to this great music? The live Sigur Ros concert Blu-Ray was similarly a disappointment for the same Nordic artistic reason; although it was spectacularly worse being in black and white. Still, as a Blu-Ray audio discs, they are both fantastic!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The pq on this disc reminded me of the HD quality on the Last Call W/Carson Daly show[especially on the concert footage on that show].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll have to watch the disk again, but I thought the PQ was very good. There is a semi-transparent screen/curtain across the front of the stage from floor to ceiling for the first five tracks and some of the camera shots through it are out of or softly focused. Images are also projected onto the screen during songs, so there are some odd looking shots of the band at times.

Once the screen is dropped, I don't remember any other less than sharp PQ. Have you watched it all the way though and found PQ issues after Sectarian?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Nil

Now that you pointed this out, the screen accounted for the blurry video before Sectarian - what a great song, especially in the quiet passages of the original Grace For Drowning BD Audio! But the PQ still appeared to vary between sharp and just out-of-focus in grainy hipstamatic retro colors after the screen was dropped. But I don't mean to dwell on this minor matter as it certainly does not detract from enjoying a great concert and fabulously recorded sound.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Nil

Watched the bonus DVD from Porcupine Tree's Octane Twisted and it is very good. Dolby Digital stereo, but it sounded great, and the PQ ain't bad either. Despite the obligatory ADD-influenced frequent cuts to the video, I found the DVD overall to be better than the live performance I had seen during the tour because I could now hear nuances to the music that were drowned out by the loud volume at the concert venue. The DVD is only available through Burning Shed, and it is a limited pressing. Worth picking up if you are a PT fan; even if this is not in surround sound.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 10
Watched Get All You Deserve last night. Loved it! Great SQ. Great band and some songs really come across great live. Love watching the flautist.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page