Ear buds & Dolby Digital & stereo sound field - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Etymotic HF5 ear buds. I'm wanting to know if I'll hear a distinct stereo sound field when viewing say, "Avatar" on my HDTV? I've never used ear buds.

For example, with ear buds will I hear a helicopter appearing to be coming from behind me and explosions appearing to come from off-stage left and voices appropriately coming from center, left or right.

I have the Optical out port of my Sony Bravia 46" EX720 HDTV plugged into my DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor for Stereo Headsets. The ear buds would be plugged into the DSS2's headphone out port.

I'm not a gamer—strictly TV and DVD—so I don't need a mike,

Equipment:

Sony Bravia 46" EX720 HDTV
Moxi 2-Tuner DVR recorder
Cisco Tuning Adapter with cable card (it has a USB cable to the Moxi)
Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray DVD Player
DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor for Stereo Headsets

Advice appreciated,

Kerry

P.S. I presently use a pair of inexpensive Sony headphones but due to hearing loss of certain frequencies I have had to plug in my hearing aids with some movies (specifically, ones with British accents). I bought the DSS2 amp hoping I can find some combination of equipment that will preclude me from having to insert my in-ear hearing aids. So, it's either a new pair of good headphones or ear buds. I have noticed considerable improvement using the DSS2 with the Sony headphones. I can't recommend the DSS2 for most viewers because its volume control knob is at the max—no room for higher volume, and, the DSS2 is USB powered so one needs long USB and optical cables to reach the couch, and, I have to get off the couch to play with the DSS2's Equalizer settings or the mute button. Not deal breakers for me.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page