HD Audio - general opinion/worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Denon 2310 which supports 7.1, DTS-HD and TrueHD, however I want to get a HTPC and most do not support HD Audio (e.g. Apple TV). So, I was wondering, what is your opinion on HD Audio? Is it worth it, or is it largely unnoticeable? I have a lot of bluray titles, many have TrueHD or DTS-HD on them. But if I use a HTPC like the Apple TV or WD Live, I will lose access to the HD Audio. I am open to building a custom HTPC that would support HD Audio, but it hinges on whether HD Audio is worth it.

I feel like I can hear a difference, but I was wondering what the pros thought? Obviously DD and DTS will tell me it's awesome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
For the formats you mention the source now is limited to Blu-ray concert discs. Hi-rez PCM (more than 16/44.1 CD quality) in varying formats is available from other sources - downloads and DVD-A discs. You can have a well recorded CD that is indistinguishable from hi-rez content. And, HTPCs have no problem with hi-rez PCM.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Go to AIX Records web site Superb Blu Ray HI REZ audio with HD video.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Why not build a real HTPC with help from your fellow AVS's here:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

It will do everything you want including support for all HD audio formats which personally if you have any decent sound system I think you would want to take advantage of.

Check it out especially assasian and renethx's guides.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would say HD audio is definitely worth it, and in addition to concert Blu-rays, there are audio-only surround Blu-rays from Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Tom Petty and others that have exquisite DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD audio tracks. If you don't want to go the whole HTPC route, there are media streamers, or my personal favorite, the Oppo 93, that will play HD audio FLAC files ripped from Blu-ray discs.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Why not build a real HTPC with help from your fellow AVS's here:
http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers
It will do everything you want including support for all HD audio formats which personally if you have any decent sound system I think you would want to take advantage of.
Check it out especially assasian and renethx's guides.

I want to but what is holding me back is the price of HTPC cases. They are very expensive for what you get. I can buy an ATX tower case for $30, a decent HTPC case is $100. I just can't justify that.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

I want to but what is holding me back is the price of HTPC cases. They are very expensive for what you get. I can buy an ATX tower case for $30, a decent HTPC case is $100. I just can't justify that.

I don't know we're you can put your htpc, but if you can put it out of sight just build it in a regular atx or micro atx case and call it a day, the only reason to use an actual htpc case is for looks really, assasins guide has some nice examples of some cases under $50.00 just a thought as my htpc is hidden in an equip closet. Some of the nmedia pc cases can be had for around 50
post #8 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

I don't know we're you can put your htpc, but if you can put it out of sight just build it in a regular atx or micro atx case and call it a day, the only reason to use an actual htpc case is for looks really, assasins guide has some nice examples of some cases under $50.00 just a thought as my htpc is hidden in an equip closet. Some of the nmedia pc cases can be had for around 50

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I can only put it inside my media cabinet (we have an infant) and the media cabinet only allows for up to 12" high. I really just need to find a htpc that's for sale used.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
To answer your original question. Yes, in my opinion, HD Audio from an HTPC is awesome. Aside from improved quality (which many folks here like to debate), HD audio provides 5.1 multichannel music. I rip everything to my HTPC (CD, DVD-A, and now Blu Ray). Plus, more and more record companies are making Hi-Rez SACD music available for download (a complete SACD is generally around 3 gig). Then I use FOOBAR 2000 (free) to playback all my ripped music. The program allows me to organize the music I want to hear (including HD multichannel) in to playlists which eliminates the need to constantly swap music discs in my player.

To me, HTPC is a misnomer. It is just a PC. Find any PC that will fit in to your cabinet. What you really need inside the computer is a relatively new Video Card (mine is a Sapphire Tech 6870 model (AMD)). The video card should have an HDMI plug to attach a HDMI cable to your receiver. The AMD Catalyst software for the video card will include an audio driver. Select this driver in Windows playback manager as your audio output. Set your receiver to MULTICHANNEL IN and you are good to go.

It is as simple as that...

Good luck
Marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #10 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I can only put it inside my media cabinet (we have an infant) and the media cabinet only allows for up to 12" high. I really just need to find a htpc that's for sale used.

My HTPC is only 4" tall, but you don't need one for your purposes. You can use a low cost streamer such as a Dune Player, Popcorn Hour or Netgear NTV550.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Liked: 14
Thanks for the positive comment on the HD-Audio projects that AIX Records has been putting out. We've been cranking out new Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D releases over the past 6 months. While I do believe that downloads (a la iTrax.com) are the future, many people are content with optical media. Blu-rays are easy to use and pretty universal. I'm not so sure about Audio Only BD discs...we include HD-Video on all of ours. But the sound is great...and even better (and REAL HD-Audio) if the tracks were recorded originally for HD.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 PM

If you want to enjoy the HD audio,I think it is worth to do that, some device can not support HD Audio,and you should upgrade your device or buy a new software which can support HD video and blu-ray files,you can have a try!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page