Blu Ray audio extractor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just thought you all would want to know that DVD Audio extractor (Computer Application Studio) now has a beta release of its program which will extract multi channel audio from a BD. Go here and click on "DO YOU HAVE PLAN TO ADD SUPPORT TO BLU RAY DISC"

DVDAE FAQ

I tried it on a disc in my computer disc drive. Worked perfect. I could not get it to work on discs saved to my hard drive.

Thanks...

marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post

Just thought you all would want to know that DVD Audio extractor (Computer Application Studio) now has a beta release of its program which will extract multi channel audio from a BD. Go here and click on "DO YOU HAVE PLAN TO ADD SUPPORT TO BLU RAY DISC"
DVDAE FAQ
I tried it on a disc in my computer disc drive. Worked perfect. I could not get it to work on discs saved to my hard drive.
Thanks...
marcus

Excellent! I've used DVD Audio Extractor ever since they added support for DVD-A so this is a welcome addition. I tested the beta release on an ISO ripped from an audio BD using DVDFab and then mounted using Virtual Clone Drive, and it worked perfectly. Note that the instructions say you have to remove BD encryption first so that may have been the problem for your saved files. DVDFab or AnyDVD HD can be used to remove the encryption.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Scolumbo...

Thank you. That was my mistake. I needed to select the ISO file off the Virtual Clone Drive (I was trying to navigate the program to the folder). It works perfect now for both off disc or the ISO file. I am using any dvd.

Thanks again.

Marcus

post #4 of 36 Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

This tool has been around for ages that can extract any audio from a BD title (usually movie) but it doesn't really matter.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

In conjunction with AnyDVD it's pretty easy to get the audio off the disc, normalise it, convert if you want etc.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post

DVDAE FAQ

Thanks...

marcus
Good news! I've used some free tools to extract audio on a few concert BDs and none of the free tools I found would extract individual songs as files, just one big file for the whole track. I never had enough ambition to use an audio editor tool break the big file into individual files. Too much work!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6 of 36 Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried some of the other programs with no success. This program (the blu ray version of DVD Audio extractor (Computer Application Studio)) is superb. I am ripping 5.1 HiRez tracks to my computer with no glitches. Persoanlly, I rip to WAV files and add the meta data afterwards. Every single "bit" of music data is there for your enjoyment. Damn I have been waiting for this.

Marcus
Watsy1958 likes this.

post #7 of 36 Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
cool, I used DVDAE and love it.

Can this new Bluray version extract to multichannel FLAC?
That is - decode the DTS-HD MA or DolbyTrueHD and output FLAC?

Can it take the endecoded DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD and put those bitstreams into something fooBar200 can stream over HDMI to a processor?

That would be killer.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Can this new Bluray version extract to multichannel FLAC? Yes
That is - decode the DTS-HD MA or DolbyTrueHD and output FLAC? Yes
Can it take the endecoded DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD and put those bitstreams into something fooBar200 can stream over HDMI to a processor? Yes
That would be killer.Yes wink.gif
post #9 of 36 Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

I have encountered DTS, LPCM, True HD, and AC3 files on the BD discs I have ripped so far. All are properly ripped (in my case) to WAV files. The rez is 48Khz for everything I have done. Bit depth is 24 although that might just be the BD ripper saving them in that depth. Foobar handles these (and FLAC) files perfectly.

Marcus

post #10 of 36 Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks scolumbo and Desert Pilot, that's exactly what I wanted to hear cool.gif

Now I can spin a playlist of Steve Wilson Grace for Drowning and Storm Corrosion using TrueHD bitstreams.

I find that the bitstream being decoded in my preamp results in absolutely stunning soundstage, the elimination of any jitter or conversion worries is a huge positive for that approach.

BTW- I'm still waiting on a Pre-pro that will natively decode multi-channelFLAC with 24/96 payloads. My pre will do 24/96 FLAC, but only stereo.
post #11 of 36 Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

sweet, v7.0 was released today and it includes BR decoding for all existing owners, yeah! cool.gif

The new demux stream to dts, truhd , etc. is a great feature. I have several discs with DVD-V formats that include mch mixes, and I'd rather keep them in the packetized format to bitstream to my processor.
Stuff like the Gentle Giant remixes that include the original quad mixes as DTS streams on the DVD-V disc can now be saved and played back with no loss of fidelity.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Can this new Bluray version extract to multichannel FLAC?
That is - decode the DTS-HD MA or DolbyTrueHD and output FLAC?

Can it take the endecoded DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD and put those bitstreams into something fooBar200 can stream over HDMI to a processor?

That would be killer.

With 96kHz DTS-MA you will only end up with 48kHz FLAC (or if you 'demux' then 48kHz dts (ma). I asked their support about this and found out that 96kHz DTS-MA comes with a 48kHz core stream and one or more extended streams, and that only the 48kHz core stream is recognized by DVD-Audio Extractor. Since I had been already using a much earlier unregistered version for dvd extractions, don't have a lot of 96kkHz music bluray and there are still alternatives if I want to extract those, I went ahead and purchased this new version of DVD Audio Extractor - I really like the interface, how it works etc...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that their suppport is really good. I had submitted a very detailed ticket with steps, MediaInfo results of the resulting files etc... and received a reply with a short but nicely-detailed answer that very same evening! I was very impressed.
post #13 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona 
EDIT: I forgot to mention that their suppport is really good. I had submitted a very detailed ticket with steps, MediaInfo results of the resulting files etc... and received a reply with a short but nicely-detailed answer that very same evening! I was very impressed.

I agree. When purchased it a couple years ago or so I had some questions and some suggestions and got replies within hours.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #14 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I purchased an osx license the other day.
post #15 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks scolumbo and Desert Pilot, that's exactly what I wanted to hear cool.gif
Now I can spin a playlist of Steve Wilson Grace for Drowning and Storm Corrosion using TrueHD bitstreams.
I find that the bitstream being decoded in my preamp results in absolutely stunning soundstage, the elimination of any jitter or conversion worries is a huge positive for that approach.
BTW- I'm still waiting on a Pre-pro that will natively decode multi-channelFLAC with 24/96 payloads. My pre will do 24/96 FLAC, but only stereo.

Why bother? Just get an inexpensive streamer that will convert the flac to raw pcm then bitstream it to your processer. Streamers like that are very inexpensive ($100 - $300) and can handle 192khz/24bit/8channel via HDMI with no issues.
post #16 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

With 96kHz DTS-MA you will only end up with 48kHz FLAC (or if you 'demux' then 48kHz dts (ma). I asked their support about this and found out that 96kHz DTS-MA comes with a 48kHz core stream and one or more extended streams, and that only the 48kHz core stream is recognized by DVD-Audio Extractor. Since I had been already using a much earlier unregistered version for dvd extractions, don't have a lot of 96kkHz music bluray and there are still alternatives if I want to extract those, I went ahead and purchased this new version of DVD Audio Extractor - I really like the interface, how it works etc...

Can you elaborate on this? I have several 96kHz DTS-HD MA BD's, although most are 48kHZ. I wasn't aware there are different streams, other than a 1.5 mbps DTS core embedded into the DTS-HD MA stream. Is the bitrate the same for both the 48kHz stream vs. the 96kHz extended stream?

I've used eac3to for FLAC conversion from BD's, so I suppose I can use it for 96kHz BD's, although the sample rate is not always included in the description of the BD.

edit: I tested this using the Tom Petty Live Anthology BD which is 24/96 DTS-HD MA and when DVDAE extracted the FLAC file, MediaInfo shows it as only 48kHz. hmmm....
post #17 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ I see in DTS' 2006 whitepaper that it says,

The DTS-HD Audio stream is organized into five substreams, a core substream and four extension substreams. The core substream represents a single audio asset and each extension substream contains up to eight audio assets.The audio assets within the extension substreams can be mixed and combined to create a number of different audiopresentations. Not all of the audio assets in the DTS-HD extension substream have to be active at the same time. Different audio presentations are defined by the stream metadata, which activates specific assets.

I assumed that when DVDAE support told me --"For 96kHz DTS (or DTS-MA) stream, it comes with a 48kHz core stream and one or more extended streams. Only the 48kHz core stream is recognized by our software" -- that it meant that their decoder actually decodes the core (lossy) and the substream that together decodes to 48kHz lossless (with there being another substream that could have been used to decode to 96kHz lossless). But maybe I assumed too much and that it means what they said, which would imply that only the lossy core is decoded (e.g., when decoding and converting DTS-MA to FLAC or WAV it is only decodes the lossy core component and then converts to FLAC/WAV). If so then this is not good and I could see the potential of there being lossy audio masquerading as lossless FLAC getting out there and I wouldn't want to use this for any of my DTS-MA material. If this turns out to be true, then I still am glad I have this software but will use something else for DTS-MA material.

For the Live Anthology BD, if you demux you'll see the lossless and lossy streams in the resulting dts file at the expected sample rate reported by MediaInfo. But if instead of the demux option you convert to WAV or FLAC you'll see 48kHz. I don't know, now I am thinking that it is only decoding the lossy core of DTS-MA. I'll reopen my ticket with them, hopefully today, with this question.
post #18 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

What's interesting is the bitrate for the track I extracted as a test was 4.263 mbps which would exceed the 1.5 mbps that the lossy DTS core is limited to (or so I thought).

edit: One more note about the extraction. Although DVDAE identifies the stream as DTS 96kHz, when you manually select the sample rate for the output instead of using 'Same as input', the drop down box only goes to a maximum of 48kHz.
post #19 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

What's interesting is the bitrate for the track I extracted as a test was 4.263 mbps which would exceed the 1.5 mbps that the lossy DTS core is limited to (or so I thought).

edit: One more note about the extraction. Although DVDAE identifies the stream as DTS 96kHz, when you manually select the sample rate for the output instead of using 'Same as input', the drop down box only goes to a maximum of 48kHz.

Yeah in my support ticket I noted that about the drop down box, which they are saying is due to the 48kHz limitation of their DTS decoder. Going by their terminology of "core extension", I would think that we are only getting the lossy DTS portion from their decoder. But as you noted about that bit rate maybe we are getting lossless, but only up to 48kHz (or maybe this has something to do with the bit depth that was selected? Or the fact that the 1.5 limitation is the bitrate of the compressed undecoded DTS stream, which could be different once decoded then losslessly encoded to FLAC, I just don't know).

I've reopened my support ticket and asked if the fact that their deoocder only uses the core extension means that only the lossy DTS portion of DTS-MA is extracted and converted? And if so, then when lossless DTS-MA is converted to FLAC/WAV is the result lossy audio in a lossless container? I'll report back with what I find out.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for following up with them. I'll be interested to hear their response.

As a test, I also tried extracting from a 96kHz PCM source, the PF WYWH BD, and I did get a 96kHz FLAC file.
post #21 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I have heard back from their support and the core stream they referred to before is indeed the lossy one. So at this time their DTS decoder only decodes the lossy core. They mentioned they are looking forward to adding full DTS-MA support in the future..

So everyone please be aware that if you use this to extract the DTS-MA from a bluray and convert to FLAC/WAV instead of lossless audio you have lossy audio in a lossless container. (This only applies to DTS-MA)
post #22 of 36 Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^Thanks. I would hope they add this information to their website. I guess it's back to using eac3to for DTS-HD MA.
post #23 of 36 Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Why bother? Just get an inexpensive streamer that will convert the flac to raw pcm then bitstream it to your processer. Streamers like that are very inexpensive ($100 - $300) and can handle 192khz/24bit/8channel via HDMI with no issues.

The benefit is that because the packetized format is decoded in the same unit as the DACs, they can be slaved to the same master clock, thus eliminating any jitter.

I've tested ripped DVD-A's vs the same DVD-A in my DenonLink equipped player (slaves the player to the processors clock) and the DenonLink wins (by a slight margin). so On my $100K system, I opt for greatest accuracy wink.gif

But, I do use my HTPC as my streamer (over HDMI) on a very regular basis; convenience is a great thing. But now that TrueHD streams are available to be, I'll be leveraging those as much as possible.
post #24 of 36 Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM

I found another program that can extract audio, video and subtitle streams from Blu-ray disc. It is Blu-ray Disc Asset Extractor and can be downloaded from www.jdxsoftware.org. It took me about 40 minutes to extract a two hour long movie. Hope it helps.
post #25 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Late to the party, me.

DTS-HD MA lossless is not possible from bluray but Dolby True HD and PCM are possible at this time with the current version of DVD Audio Extractor (once decrypted)? I was pretty excited until I read all the way through the posts.

Thanks.
post #26 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Late to the party, me.

DTS-HD MA lossless is not possible from bluray but Dolby True HD and PCM are possible at this time with the current version of DVD Audio Extractor (once decrypted)? I was pretty excited until I read all the way through the posts.

Thanks.

Yes but DTS-HDMA Core still sounds very good. Shows up as 1.5Mb/s on playback and many discs have PCM or Dolby TrueHD anyway.

I've been using DVD Audio Extractor to make some 5.1 DVD-Audio discs from BD concerts, just insert disc and hit 'play', no menus required.

Also using DVD Fab to rip BD concerts to individual chapter/files and copied to a USB hard disc for easy jukebox style navigation and playback at hires tracks without the hassle of changing discs and selecting sound/menu options (slow). That has worked really well on 'party nights' where I can easily play lots of favourites and take random requests etc. Changing a disc to play one song is such a pain even with 'fast' BD players. I'm using an Oppo BDP95 as the playback device.
post #27 of 36 Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Late to the party, me.

Thanks.

HDBRStream Extractor with the Arcsoft DTS-HD decoder will allow you to extract the DTS-HD MA stream from an m2ts container.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Liked: 12
Homer, What about?
http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-ripper.htm

Is that the one your using?
It says:

"Audio Only" option
rip Blu-ray to all audio formats such as MP3, MP4, M4A, WMA, WAV, AC3 and DTS.
post #29 of 36 Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

Homer, What about?
http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-ripper.htm

Is that the one your using?
It says:

"Audio Only" option
rip Blu-ray to all audio formats such as MP3, MP4, M4A, WMA, WAV, AC3 and DTS.
The audio-only option will reduce the bit depth from 16 to 24. The sampling rate remains unchanged. THis is probably because the program does not included a licensed DTS decoder.

E.g. 48/24 DTS-HD MA soundtrack will result in a wav file that is 48/16. Doesn't seem to be any way to change this in the options.
post #30 of 36 Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Doesn't do BD+
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page