Supertramp Live in Paris 79 Blu-Ray 5.1 Surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-08-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
To be released Aug 27. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supertramp-Live-Paris-79-Blu-ray/

Supertramp s Breakfast In America was the biggest selling album in the world in 1979. It spawned several hit singles and went on to win two Grammy Awards and sell in excess of 20 million copies. Following the album s release Supertramp embarked on a 10 month world tour which arrived in Paris at the end of November. This show from the Pavillon de Paris was both filmed and recorded. The audio went on to form the basis of the 1980 live album Paris but the film was never released. Now for the first time, transferred and restored to full HD from the original 16mm film, this footage is available to Supertramp's legion of fans worldwide. The sound has been remixed by Peter Henderson and Supertramp s original sound engineer Russel Pope from the original multi-tracks and is presented in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. This is a legendary show by a legendary band performing at their absolute peak and is a must for any Supertramp fan. TRACKLIST 1) French Touch (intro) 2) School 3) Bloody Well Right 4) The Logical Song 5) Goodbye Stranger 6) Breakfast In America 7) Hide In Your Shell 8) Asylum 9) Even In The Quietest Moments 10) Give A Little Bit 11) Dreamer 12) Rudy 13) Take The Long Way Home 14) Another Man s Woman 15) Child Of Vision 16) Fool s Overture 17) Two Of Us 18) Crime Of The Century 19) From Now On (credits)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-08-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 397
I'm not as big of a Supertramp fan as I used to be but that song listing looks excellent smile.gif! Rudy is one of my favorite songs off of Crime of the Century. So it is great to see it included. I might have to check out the BR when it becomes available.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Supertramp produced wonderful sounding albums that would be fantastic in 5.1 hi res. I'm ordering the BD and the DVD (Move the 5.1 DTS DVD tracks to a DVD-A disc so I can play without menus).
post #4 of 28 Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Amazon.com doesn't list it and Amazon.co.uk says it's Region B which may be an issue for some people.

larry

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Paris-79-Blu-ray-Supertramp/dp/B008B3MZNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1344527655&sr=1-1

I tried the link in post #1 and it didn't work.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 28 Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Great news! This is an excellent concert.

It's supposedly underwent a HD overhaul from the original 16mm. I did a quick Google search and there is some confusion about the region. It's listed as all region NTSC or region B. OTOH, I can't see it not being Region A at some point. Supertramp may have been more popular in the US than even the UK, at least according to an interview I saw with the band.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are also a handful of additional songs in 5.1 for which the original film was unusable, but the audio tapes were fine.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #7 of 28 Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Region free bluray on its way to me from Amazon UK. Will not be released to North America - perhaps due to simmering legal problems?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #8 of 28 Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Region free bluray on its way to me from Amazon UK. Will not be released to North America - perhaps due to simmering legal problems?

ca1ore - I'm following your lead - just ordered it from Amazon UK.

FIGHT COMPRESSION
post #9 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 AM

Liked: 11
Ditto - thanks for the heads up.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
me four biggrin.gif

post #11 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM

Liked: 15
I saw Supertramp in Los Angles on their "Famous Last Words" tour. What struck me was how good they sounded- the Paris album is exactly what they
sounded like, even the order of the songs was near identical, so that album was a fave of mine. The concert ended with "Crime of the Century" with an
image of space projected above them as they played the instrumental. The camera followed a yellow rope in space as the band played until it ended at the bar door that is on the album cover. At that point, a large pair of scissors came out and snipped the rope.
I hope that is in the Paris concert!
post #12 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will not be released to North America - perhaps due to simmering legal problems?

Where did you get this info from?
post #13 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM

Five-o

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #14 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ya think? Check out Roger's Facebook page or read below;

Many of you have asked me about the status of the Paris DVD, so I wanted to write to you directly with the latest news. Unfortunately many laws, both legal and moral, were broken and the Paris DVD is now about to be put out using illegal and unethical methods. It is now in the hands of attorneys to resolve the legal dispute between the publishing company and the labels. I don’t know which side will win, yet what I’ve learned in the music business, it’s usually whichever attorneys have the most funding, not necessarily the ones who are in the right.

What Eagle Rock and John, Bob and Dougie (who are calling themselves “the Supertramp Partnership”) are trying to do is to take away our songwriters rights. Legally, a label needs songwriters’ and publisher’s approval to put this type of product out and instead they are twisting some kind of legal loophole trying to say they don’t need the required licenses. Songwriters are given legal rights and yet in the industry, they are getting ripped off in all kinds of ways and if this goes through, it is going to make things even more difficult for songwriters. What they are trying to do in claiming they can take away the songwriters and publishing rights could make it possible for other labels to do this to other songwriters in the future.

An attorney friend of mine who has been in the music industry 40 years who is also a publisher and has worked a lot with the Beatles catalog said he has never heard of anyone doing this in the music business - for a label to try to put out a DVD without the publishing company and songwriter’s approval. This whole issue is much bigger than this one DVD. They are not only trying to take away rights from Rick and myself as songwriters, they are affecting the rights of songwriters all over the world with what they are trying to do.

Back in the spring and summer of 2011, I was working with the band and Eagle in a spirit of cooperation to release the Paris DVD. I spent many, many hours reviewing and giving artistic feedback and edits – and this was only at the very beginning of putting together the DVD. There were many things I compromised on, yet we told them I would give my songwriters approval and other rights that I have as a founding member of Supertramp as long as they incorporated the minimal things I asked for – and that they agreed to in writing and then I heard nothing else about it.

Last summer we were told that the DVD was shelved because of whatever quality issues Rick had with it, he did not approve of the release. And we were told Eagle would not release the DVD until they got approval from the publishing company, who represent the songwriters - so I thought the project was dead. Then a few weeks ago I found out the band guys had been working on the DVD all this time secretly behind my back, completely violating the spirit of cooperation I had been in with them up until then.

The only reason I even received a copy was because a fan let me know it was coming out and I asked Eagle to send me one, which I received just a few days ago - after it has already been shipped to distributors. I was shocked receiving the DVD completely manufactured and shrink wrapped before I’d even seen it! There is a whole montage of pictures, bonus materials and liner notes which I have never seen and have never been given the opportunity to comment on. They are putting out a product that is supposed to be representing all five of us, and it’s not. It is only representing the three of them.

Bob, John and Dougie are representing themselves to Eagle as the ‘Supertramp partnership’ and the contract is just between the three of them and Eagle. Whether you are a Rick fan or a Roger fan or both, I feel all fans would agree that it’s not right for the three non-songwriters to control the Supertramp catalog, claiming I have no artistic voice, no input, no say at all in the creation of any Supertramp products, and yet they want to use my performances, my image and likeness and my songs.

To have received this DVD all packaged at the very last minute feels very out of integrity. They have not kept their agreements and have not honored my artistic, creative, technical or editorial inputs at all. For example, I wanted the songs to have correct writer’s credit and for it to be delineated who wrote which songs. And instead they have gone so far as to completely bury who the songwriters are from the public. There is no credit being given to the songwriters or the publishers on the packaging or the film yet credit is being given to the merchandisers, the trucking company and who dressed up in a monkey suit. They don’t list the songwriters at all, giving the illusion to the public that Supertramp wrote the songs, which is not true at all. And they know how important it has been to me as a songwriter to have my songs delineated. That is the only thing that I had to help me continue on with my career beyond Supertramp.

I know the three of them are going to say they are doing it for the fans, but that is not what is really going on. If they were really thinking about the fans, they would know that fans would want me to have input on the DVD. This isn’t about the fans or about the music. This DVD is about a power play, it’s about money, control, envy and underhanded music business tactics and I want nothing to do with it.

For me I truly was getting involved because so many of you have said you wanted a DVD from one of the concerts when I was with the band. And I hope you can understand that while I always wanted something like this out there, I cannot approve of a product that is created with this kind of manipulation and deceit because I believe that the energy and where you come from when you create something is very important.

The other reason I wanted to work on the DVD was to ensure that all five members could share their experiences from that tour, and I wanted to make sure it would be the best quality product possible. Unfortunately, I also cannot endorse the DVD because of its technical shortcomings, editorial inaccuracies and poor quality.

So I don’t want any fans out there to be fooled, and for anyone who decides to buy the DVD, I wanted you to know this DVD was created out of very questionable legal maneuvering. The band that you see playing on the DVD has not existed for 30 years. Now it’s all about business and the business part of music can be ruthless and backstabbing, just as any other business can be. That is one of the reasons I left LA and wanted to get out of the music business all those years ago. It’s not how I want to live my life and it’s not why I do music.

This is one of the reasons that I’m happier now than I ever have been touring the way I’m touring – not caught up in the music industry and all the ugly parts of the business. No record label owns me, no publisher owns me, no managers own me, no agents own me. I can stay true to myself and tour when I want, how I want. I can play to 3000 or 85,000 or anywhere in between – I’m ok not playing huge arenas anymore, it’s about playing music to help make people happy, it doesn’t matter what size the audience is.

I became a musician when I was 12. It’s what I love to do and it’s what I’m good at. And I will continue for as long as I can travelling around the world doing concerts. For me, one of the most important things as an artist is to play music for the art, for the magic that’s possible with music to help lift people’s spirits, help open their hearts to receive some healing and relief from all the troubles in this world.

I want to keep this Paris DVD issue separate from what I’ve been striving for all these years as an artist, my reasons for touring and playing music. I know many of you wanted to know my thoughts about the Paris DVD, so that is why I’m just sending this to the fan sites and you’re welcome to leave any comments there on the sites.

For something more positive and uplifting, you can visit my Facebook or website guestbook and read some really amazing and touching stories from fans around the world. I so appreciate you all and am fully aware that if it wasn’t for you loving the music or my songs I wouldn’t be out here performing like this. Reading your stories and experiences from the shows is my inspiration.

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #15 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Where did you get this info from?

See post #14. Doesn't mean that is the reason, necessarily, after all RH never relased Open the Door in NA (and there were no legal problems there presumably), but seems like a good bet. I think if you want a copy, get it sooner rather than later.

post #16 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

Ya think? Check out Roger's Facebook page or read below;

Now I feel bad for having ordered it redface.gif

post #17 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Not me, I'm grabbing one now! biggrin.gif
post #18 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 397
After reading Roger Hodgson's open letter it reminded me somewhat of the whole Pink Floyd situation.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #19 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Who knows where the truth lies with these guys. A buddy of mine based in the UK has it already, and says that the songwriting credits indeed do not appear on the set anywhere - so that is a pretty bush league move, no question. He has not said anything about the sound or video quality - and I'm not sure I'd put much stock in his opinion on that front anyway - so we'll see. I think most people who buy this set are going to know that RH and RD were the primary writers (and singers).

post #20 of 28 Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Got mine, and glad i did. Great sound although the default is stereo the DTS master HD 5.1 is great, i hope all of the band members get a slice of the pie but grab this before it goes OOP.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

Got mine, and glad i did. Great sound although the default is stereo the DTS master HD 5.1 is great, i hope all of the band members get a slice of the pie but grab this before it goes OOP.

Ordered the region free blu-ray from Amazon UK.

Have a feeling this will not be around for long.
post #22 of 28 Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Got mine today - thoroughly enjoying it. Frankly, if something like this is not deemed to be of high enough quality to be released by its creators - then nothing live ever will be (or, at least, not without a mass of overdubs).

post #23 of 28 Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 PM

For those in the U.S. who ordered this off of amazon.com UK, how long did it take to get it and who delivered it?
I ordered my about two weeks ago, standard shipping, estimated delivery date was 9/5 and yeah, still don't have my disc:(
post #24 of 28 Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Where do you live?
These have to go through Customs and then your zippy USPS.
Not uncommon to be later than the estimate plus the Labor Day weekend.
I haven't got mine yet but it has shipped and it will get here.
I live on the West Coast so I'm used to at least 10 business days, at least.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #25 of 28 Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

For those in the U.S. who ordered this off of amazon.com UK, how long did it take to get it and who delivered it?
I ordered my about two weeks ago, standard shipping, estimated delivery date was 9/5 and yeah, still don't have my disc:(

Just received mine today from the UK - so it took 1 week 4 days since ordering.
It came in the mail

FIGHT COMPRESSION
post #26 of 28 Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner144 View Post

Just received mine today from the UK - so it took 1 week 4 days since ordering.
It came in the mail

You were so right- it came today- 1 week and four days from time I ordered!
post #27 of 28 Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 AM

Mine came yesterday, too, (east coast) and it was almost a week later than it should have been. Something else I ordered from them shipped the same time and came last week.

post #28 of 28 Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM

I received my copy yesterday here on the west coast. The Blu-Ray is fantastic. The 5.1 sounds crystal clear with superb separation. The video portion is clear also. I think it is remarkable that they can engineer a classic concert like Supertramp Live in Paris that originally was taped in 1979 and make it look and sound like it was made yesterday. Got to love technology!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page