AVS Forum banner

$12 5.1 Lynyrd Skynyrd DVD-Audio Wally World Exclusive

8K views 90 replies 37 participants last post by  JD NC 
#1 ·
Get yourselves over to Walmart of all places for a new triple disc Lynyrd Skynyrd compilation for $12. Elliot Scheiner remixed ten classic Lynyrd Skynyrd tracks for a new Walmart exclusive “Southern Surroundings” http://www.walmart.com/ip/21289895

Disc one is a another CD of the usual hits. My old CDs will sound better.

DVD #1 is a video disc A live 35 minute 1975 television studio concert from the BBC’s Old Grey Whistle Test. Very good stuff with lossless PCM stereo sound!

DVD #2 is a DVD-Audio disc with lossless DVD-Audio and lossy DTS 5.1 remixes of ten classic Skynyrd tracks;

Saturday Night Special

Gimme Three Steps

Swamp Music

Gimme Back My Bullets

Ballad Of Curtis Lowe

You Got That Right

That Smell

All I Can Do Is Write About It

Simple Man

Free Bird

For more reading check out the following discussions over at the Quadrophonic Quad and Steve Hoffman forums.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16437-Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Hits-Package-with-Elliott-Scheiner-5-1-Mix-on-DVDA!

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=293332

I ordered my copy online and will post comments ASAP.

Cheers, Michael

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60_60#post_22429126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22428430

It wouldn't play on some machines, though they were in the minority. I was just curious if anyone here had any problems. I've gotten so many multi disc sets lately I haven't had a chance to listen to everything in stereo and MCH.

Nice problem to have- huh? Really, there's been a real spike in surround offerings- I'm feeling very grateful right now. SW did hid magic on the 2 ELP sets- and at give or take $15 a set, with DVD-a !!! quite an unexpected treat and great value (compare to opportunistic, milk em for all they got recent deluxe sets), but then this Skynyrd set is a steal at $12! I had never seen the Old Grey Whistle Test disc, so that's a real bonus (even though the sound is less than stellar, still quite the historical document). But I would have expected to pay more than the asking price for the dvd-a alone- great mix, awesome sound. A real jewel.

My surround jones has been completely satisfied for a while- and at such reasonable rates. Just wondering why this can't be done with more classic archives. I know many multi's have been lost, but there's still a lot of sublime music waiting to be given its ultimate presentation. If they can profitably put out high-value sets like Skynyrd and ELP- with dvd-a's- then there's hope in the surround camp yet. If Sony can release a dvd-a, perhaps there's some sign of intelligence in the recording industry- just enough to realize they can make a nice little bit on our niche market to help tide them over until their inevitable demise.

Here's hoping these sets sell like hotcakes- it sure was hard to find southern surroundings, but well worth the wait. Highly recommended for anyone still fence-sitting; get em while they last.
I think what is going on here is the labels had been sitting on these surround mixes for years, and figured to get them out on the market before physical media for music is completely dead. That's why these releases seem like such good values, the surround mixes are basically sunk costs at this time and the labels would rather make a few dollars off them now than nothing in the future.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22447407

I think what is going on here is the labels had been sitting on these surround mixes for years, and figured to get them out on the market before physical media for music is completely dead. That's why these releases seem like such good values, the surround mixes are basically sunk costs at this time and the labels would rather make a few dollars off them now than nothing in the future.

What are you saying, they're rushing these things out before the people who still buy physical media die off?

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22447407

That could be true but in the case of the Skynyrd DVD-A the surround mix was done recently by Elliott Scheiner. A number of the latest 5.1 releases have been done by Steve Wilson as well. So it appears to me that many of the recent 5.1 mixes are new and not ones that were in the vaults.

Bill

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/50_50#post_22453384

That could be true but in the case of the Skynyrd DVD-A the surround mix was done recently by Elliott Scheiner. A number of the latest 5.1 releases have been done by Steve Wilson as well. So it appears to me that many of the recent 5.1 mixes are new and not ones that were in the vaults.

Bill

All I have to say is thank the gods that SW is one of the very few that is actually turning out new surround music, in addition to all his other projects remixing surround releases from older material.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22453438

All I have to say is thank the gods that SW is one of the very few that is actually turning out new surround music, in addition to all his other projects remixing surround releases from older material.

And............He is a relatively young guy. Bodes well for the future.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22428430

It wouldn't play on some machines, though they were in the minority. I was just curious if anyone here had any problems. I've gotten so many multi disc sets lately I haven't had a chance to listen to everything in stereo and MCH.

The hi-res layer won't play on my Pioneer 610. The lossy 5.1 plays fine.

I have the same issue with the Rush Sector DVD-As with this player. Older DVD-As play fine.

#84 ·
I finally got around to listening to the surround mix of this album. I did have a problem playing it when I tried accessing it on screen. Clicking on surround only brought up the stereo mix. When I used my remote (Oppo 95/ Denon 4308) the surround played fine. Maybe this is the problem people were having?

I made a joke about Free Bird earlier in the thread but I have to admit this is easily the best I've ever heard it. I've never been able to distinguish the individual guitars like this before. Elliot did an excellent job. Gonna have to start listening to it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22468810

I have the same issue with the Rush Sector DVD-As with this player. Older DVD-As play fine.

AFAIK, either the lossy menu or lossless menu comes up, not both, depending on the player. I only get the lossless menu on my Oppo.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/50_50#post_22468810

Boo. Just picked up this disc recently, and was about to finally pull the trigger on the 610 so I could hear the high res surround mix. I guess it's back to saving up for the Oppo.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22541386

Boo. Just picked up this disc recently, and was about to finally pull the trigger on the 610 so I could hear the high res surround mix. I guess it's back to saving up for the Oppo.

FWIW, a poster on the Blu-Ray forums says the Skynyrd disc plays fine on his 610, so YMMV.

#87 ·

Quote:

That might be the case with some releases, but the 2 ELP dvd-a's were obviously just re-done. And they were very reasonably priced. Still, I hope you're right and that the studios will release all the surround mixes they have before the "death of the disc." So many quad mixes that are just waiting in the vaults... get 'em out!

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/60#post_22468810

I just checked disc 3 DVD-A/V on my Pioneer DV 610AV and the multichannel layer plays fine. The AVR info states Multi Channel In, PCM, 96 kHz, 3/2/.1.

When I tried the stereo layer, it too played fine - PCM, 96 kHz, 2/0/.0.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven  /t/1423924/12-5-1-lynyrd-skynyrd-dvd-audio-wally-world-exclusive/30#post_22335558

I just picked up the 3 disc set at the Wake Forest, NC Walmart. They had six on the shelf. I won't get a chance to listen to the DVD set until Saturday. Great deal.

WalMart in Wake Forest NC had two copies of this left today. They have only 1 now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.