Is 7.1 overkill for a 10 x 11 room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to say I already have a 5.1 setup in the room but haven't had a chance to use it or test it out. Will adding 2 additional surrounds "congest" the room with too much directional sound? I have a Cambridge Minx setup (all "Min20" speakers) so speakers and stands are very small, physically speaking.I heard sound is less directional since these speakers use BMR drivers and sound is more spacious/transparent than a traditional speaker.

Problem I have is whether it will enhance the experience more so?

Also, if I had 2 more speakers will the overall, collective volume of sound being outputted be louder than with my current setup, or will it be the same dB?

Last question, if I watch a 5.1 DVD, and let's say I have 7.1... Will my AVR (7.2 capable) automatically "upmix" the audio file on the disc and some how let sound come out from all 7 speakers?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 20
Dolby Pro Logic IIx on AVRs will play your 2 surrounds from 5.1 DVDs across the 4 surrounds on 7.1 speakers
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihadis View Post

Dolby Pro Logic IIx on AVRs will play your 2 surrounds from 5.1 DVDs across the 4 surrounds on 7.1 speakers

Would this effect be realistic and will there be an "echo" since it's not natural?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Would this effect be realistic and will there be an "echo" since it's not natural?
No echo, since there is no delay or reverb added. PLIIx upmixing works by taking sounds that would have normally phantom imaged behind you and steering them to the speakers behind you. The remaining sounds stay at your sides.

For a 7.1-speaker layout to be effective, you should be sitting at least a few feet from the back wall. Otherwise there will be no meaningful separation between your side speakers and rear speakers, defeating the point of a 7.1 set-up. If your seating is at or near the back wall, then stick with your current 5.1 layout.

Sanjay
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, does the "echo" effect only happen when using Dolby Digital PLIIx on stereo music (e.g. lossless files, CDs)?

My current setup has me in smack dab middle of the room, with the 2 rears diagonal from my back right and left ears (so not a few feet beside my left & right sides). Is this correct for 5.1? You want sound coming from behind/diagonal from your back head, correct?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:

Okay, does the "echo" effect only happen when using Dolby Digital PLIIx on stereo music (e.g. lossless files, CDs)?
No echo, since there is no delay or reverb added.
Quote:

My current setup has me in smack dab middle of the room, with the 2 rears diagonal from my back right and left ears (so not a few feet beside my left & right sides). Is this correct for 5.1? You want sound coming from behind/diagonal from your back head, correct?
Yes, that will work fine, giving you a good compromise between the side and rear speaker angles of a 7.1 layout.

Sanjay
post #7 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page