Magical Mystery Tour in 5.1! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Holy cow, we're finally going to get some Beatles in surround!

There's a MMT deluxe box due in October that will contain a BD in DTS-HD lossless!

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/

Even better news is that as well as standard releases on DVD and Blu-ray, a special, boxed deluxe edition will also be available with the following contents:

• Set housed in a 10″x10″ box
• Both DVD and Blu-ray included
• 60-page book with background information, photographs and documentation from the production,
• A faithful reproduction of the mono double 7″ vinyl EP of the film’s six new Beatles songs, originally issued in the UK to complement the film’s 1967 release!
This sounds superb, and the set is currently retailing for £59.99 on Apple’s online store.

Pre-order Deluxe Box from amazon.com here (US)

The film has been fully restored by Paul Rutan Jr. of Eque Inc., the same company that handled the much acclaimed restoration of Yellow Submarine. The soundtrack has been remixed into 5.1 surround! This work was done at Abbey Road Studios by Giles Martin and Sam Okell. This means DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 for the Blu-ray!

Pre order is already up on Amazon. It's not cheap, but not terrible. Close to the price of a SHM-SACD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RTE066/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008RTE066&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Pre order is already up on Amazon. It's not cheap, but not terrible. Close to the price of a SHM-SACD.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RTE066/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008RTE066&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-20
Pre-ordered the Blu-ray.
The Deluxe is a BIT more than an SHM-SACD though.
Sorry to get all technical, but we've already had a tease of The Beatles in Hi-Res surround with the DVD-A of Love and the blu-ray of Yellow Submarine.
Still this will be excellent for the music alone. I saw MMT at college about 90 years ago and whle some parts are funny, for the most part it's not very good aside from the music.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #3 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When they say "faithful reproduction" do they mean they used the original master lacquers to create new stampers, or used the new 24/48 mastered versions or went back to the 24/192 archives and created new 24/192 masters?

Hmm, would like the deluxe but the stand alone Blu-ray looks pretty sweet too.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm unfamiliar with this film. Is the audio track basically the regular album played over the top of the video, or were the songs performed differently for the film? Trying to figure out if playing without video would be the same as having the audio album in 5.1

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #5 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 11
If they have a music only 5.1 song track, fine, but I will not sit through that movie on a regular basis just to hear the soundtrack. Much too painful from my memory, lol.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I am game I will get the Blue Ray.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM

I was notified that the DVD shipped yesterday but that the eta is 10/15. Six days from NC to NJ? That truck driver must be on a Magical Mystery Tour of his own.rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The audio on this is fantastic, truly remarkable.

PCM 24/96 2.0
dts-ma 24/96 5.1

Lovely jubbly. Magical Mystery Tour, Fool on the Hill, Your Mother Should Know, I Am The Walrus, Blue Jays Way, all sound just magnificent.

The film still sucks, but wow the audio is incredible. Wish they'd included an isolated score for this. I got the deluxe version from Amazon Canada for $48, very nice package with a cool book containing loads of pictures of memorabilia from the tour.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

The audio on this is fantastic, truly remarkable.
PCM 24/96 2.0
dts-ma 24/96 5.1
Lovely jubbly. Magical Mystery Tour, Fool on the Hill, Your Mother Should Know, I Am The Walrus, Blue Jays Way, all sound just magnificent.
The film still sucks, but wow the audio is incredible. Wish they'd included an isolated score for this. I got the deluxe version from Amazon Canada for $48, very nice package with a cool book containing loads of pictures of memorabilia from the tour.

Good to know the AQ is top notch. I actually forgot this was out, time to use the Amazon gift card I just got! biggrin.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Great audio in 24/96 PCM stereo or better, DTS-MA 5.1 lossless on Blu-Ray. Know the big thing is Beatles on new stereo vinyl. But 24/96 stereo or 24/96 5.1 on Blu-Ray is also the way to go too. There were some cool "bits" in the film too.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The first thing you will notice is more bass on the blue ray and the surround ain't bad but the movie is for fans but then again I am but it was bought for the audio.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

The first thing you will notice is more bass on the blue ray and the surround ain't bad but the movie is for fans but then again I am but it was bought for the audio.

I actually enjoyed the whole thing. I guess people were expecting another Hard Day's Night or Help! when this originally came out, instead of what it is. There are some humorous bits in it and you got to love it when I Am The Walrus starts playing in glorious 5.1!

biggrin.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 17
Soo glad I just ran across this thread! I just ordered the blu-ray version!

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page