Small LCD or LED monitor recommendations for a music only system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've recently setup a 3.1(L\C\R) music system in my living room and with my archive of DVD-A and growing collection of Blu-ray audio discs I'd really like to get a small monitor to access the menus on these discs rather than fire up my plasma when I want to listen to music. I'd also like to get one for my music\HT room for the same reason, I don't want to necessarily start my projector to listen to some music.
I'm sure I saw people mentioning the now discontinued Haier 7" LCD as a nice little unit just for this purpose.

In searching the internet I've found a lot of units like the Haier, from outright clones, to refurbed Vizio LEDs, etc.
So for those of you who have these, please share your experience.

In the old days I would just search, but the so-called "search" functionality on the new, improved AVS is worse than worthless.
TIA

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I was thinking about getting a small LCD for the same use. I found the RCA RTV86073 Portable 7" Digital HDTV that is fairly inexpensive. It only has one input for a F connector for RG6 cable though. You could try using this adapter then this adapter to utilize composite from your source.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I also have a 3.1 music only system, but for that rig I have no display whatsoever. I have an old portable DVD player that happens to have a video input, which I can connect to the composite out of my universal player. That lets me get into the menus and select the required tracks.

It's inconvenient to hook up, and it looks stupid sitting on the floor, so I don't leave it connected.

As I am sure you know, some discs do let you get to where you want to go by trying various button pushes, but not always. Last night, sans display, I managed to get to what I think is the 2 Channel 24/96 track of the new Lynyrd Skynyrd DVD-A compilation.

If possible, I propose we go back in time and kick the ass of the idiot or idiots that made DVD-A so hard to use w/o a display. :-)

Brian
post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would think it would also help to have a small display to access any source device settings you wish to change.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In searching I found a couple that look promising.
NewEgg has refurbed Vizio 7" LEDs units for $65.
Found one on Amazon that looks to be an exact clone of the Haier for $48.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Prism-Portable-Lcd-Inch/dp/B001W8WEGC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345857667&sr=1-3&keywords=7+inch+lcd+tv

In my thinking you really don't need much. A composite input is perfect.
I also came across some nice little units meant for putting in the head rest of SUV\Vans but you have ot beware of these as they're meant to be run off DC and don't have wall warts and the power cables are unterminated.
Too much hassle there, imo.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #6 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using 7" Lilliput LCD's since 2004

It's used as a display for my SACD , DVD-Audio , DVD and Blu-Ray players and
an XM tuner and Velodyne subwoofer equalizer .

I did burn one out early on connecting it to my plasma to display TV programs .
It worked for about a week and then got hot and quit - somehow just not compatible .

Its connected with a mixture of component and s-video splitters

LL

LL

FIGHT COMPRESSION
post #7 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been using a small rack-mounted monitor for years, but have found it less useful since the advent of bluray as the monitor blanks out with any menus that are not in 480. I have found a small LCD TV set (18 incher) much more useful, and frankly not all that much more expensive these days.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #8 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I've loaded several Blu-rays and had no such issue.
I very much like the small form factor.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Hmm, I've loaded several Blu-rays and had no such issue.
I very much like the small form factor.

Perhaps the small LCD I am using is simply too old. Could you divulge which one you are using, and how you make the connections (i.e. are you using composite video for example). Also, will the small LCD play the movie as well?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #10 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

See the amazon link in post 5. Nice little unit.
Just using the video(yellow) of a composite cable.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

See the amazon link in post 5. Nice little unit.
Just using the video(yellow) of a composite cable.

Milt,

The Digital Prism looks like it will work for what I need. How far away do you sit from it? I sit about 8' from where I would place it so I want to make sure I can read it easily. Is the stand fairly stable? I wonder if the remote codes are in the Harmony database? What are you using for a Bluray player?

Bill

post #12 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Prism unit is very solid. i'm using it with an Oppo-95.
Depending on the menu itself, it can be a bit too small to read from my listening position so what I've been doing is loading the disc and setting the option then.
Perhaps when I get more familiar with the different menus I could do it by recognition but really it's not a big deal to me so far.
FWIW, menus\track info are displayed for SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray and some CDs.
Other than power up and input selection, which is retained between power cycles, you use the player remote or universal remote to navigate.
If the Harmony can "learn" the Prism remote codes, you're in like Flynn.
As far as I can tell this unit is identical to the discontinued Haier LCD. Exact same form factor and fascia.
For $48 it works nice. I also have a discontinued Vizio LED\LCD that I bought from NewEgg.
Nice looking & nice remote but you can only exchange it for another Vizio, no return for $$$.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'm using a Cody 15" so I can avoid turning on my PDP when listing to music whether it be Itunes, DVD-A, SACD, etc which I purchased from Newegg for under 80 bucks or so. I use the HDMi plugs on the screen, and it's the reason I got this one. It might be a little on this big side, but it sits right underneath the larger screen, so it works without obstructing me from viewing the larger screen.

DJoel
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page