Originally Posted by toddt007
Huh??? How is it "stellar sonically" if it requires a "great system" and "listener attention"??? That disc sounds expensive and boring!
Stellar sonically means the following to me:
Basic recording and reproduction
- Has excellent dynamic range (big difference between soft and loud portions)
- Really clean recording with no excessive EQ or compression
- Well mixed, as a multichannel recording, is the soundstage well presented
- Are surrounds used well
- does the soundfield extend beyond the speakers
- Interesting and engaging composition (which is why prog rock is my fave, followed by classical)
- Deep layering of sounds
- Wilson composes and records extensively layered sounds and with his use of broad dynamic range, you need a revealing system to hear it all
Listener attention is required to hear the richness of compositions and recordings in classical and prog rock genres. Not so much for crap like top-40
I'm sure it's boring to some, but many of of us on AVS care deeply about good systems and treasure great recordings to enjoy them with.