Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick Anniversary Edition - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 108 Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Anyone looking to pick up the Thick as a Brick Anniversary Edition CD/DVD set it is available from popmarket for $24.99.

Bill
davidbarrickman likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 108 Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scott_bernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC, US
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Anyone looking to pick up the Thick as a Brick Anniversary Edition CD/DVD set it is available from popmarket for $24.99.

Bill
I jumped on the deal, but of course my box came with the FAULTY disc. frown.gif And EMI has been merged into Warner so now I'm trying to track down SOMEONE who can find out if there is a replacement available in their stocks
scott_bernstein is offline  
post #93 of 108 Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

I jumped on the deal, but of course my box came with the FAULTY disc. frown.gif And EMI has been merged into Warner so now I'm trying to track down SOMEONE who can find out if there is a replacement available in their stocks

Faulty disc?

Mine is on its way - is there something I need to look for?

rick240 is offline  
post #94 of 108 Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scott_bernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC, US
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Faulty disc?

Mine is on its way - is there something I need to look for?
Yes, if you do a little searching on the web, apparently the DTS surround sound version on the DVD has glitches as well as a problematic transfer. There was a fixed version of the DVD issued soon after release that corrected both of these issues along with apologies from the band and promises that all future versions of the set would include the fixed version of the DVD, but apparently that's not the case with the Popmarket stock. It is obvious that the fixed version of the disc has a small horizontal line on the right side of the label imprinted on the DVD under the "duration",etc. text.

If you don't care to play the 5.1 channel version of the album, then no worries, but if you care then you'll want to get it replaced. I'm pursuing a few different avenues to find out if I can get a fix (which is now problematic because EMI, which released this set has been bought out by Universal Music which seems to have no idea about the issue).
scott_bernstein is offline  
post #95 of 108 Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Yes, if you do a little searching on the web, apparently the DTS surround sound version on the DVD has glitches as well as a problematic transfer. There was a fixed version of the DVD issued soon after release that corrected both of these issues along with apologies from the band and promises that all future versions of the set would include the fixed version of the DVD, but apparently that's not the case with the Popmarket stock. It is obvious that the fixed version of the disc has a small horizontal line on the right side of the label imprinted on the DVD under the "duration",etc. text.

If you don't care to play the 5.1 channel version of the album, then no worries, but if you care then you'll want to get it replaced. I'm pursuing a few different avenues to find out if I can get a fix (which is now problematic because EMI, which released this set has been bought out by Universal Music which seems to have no idea about the issue).

I bought it for the 5.1 mix, sigh.

What did PopMarket have to say?

rick240 is offline  
post #96 of 108 Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

I jumped on the deal, but of course my box came with the FAULTY disc. frown.gif And EMI has been merged into Warner so now I'm trying to track down SOMEONE who can find out if there is a replacement available in their stocks

That's too bad frown.gif. If you have no luck with Warner then contact Popmarket to get a refund.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #97 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

It is obvious that the fixed version of the disc has a small horizontal line on the right side of the label imprinted on the DVD under the "duration",etc. text.

**** - mine just arrived and no line mad.gif

Do all "fixed" versions have this line?

rick240 is offline  
post #98 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

**** - mine just arrived and no line mad.gif

Do all "fixed" versions have this line?

Just had a quick listen - and the three glitches are there mad.gif

rick240 is offline  
post #99 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scott_bernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC, US
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

**** - mine just arrived and no line mad.gif

Do all "fixed" versions have this line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Just had a quicl listen - and the three glitches are there mad.gif
Apparently it's worse than just the 3 glitches -- the mastering was flawed as well -- apparently the multichannel mix was "remastered" after Steve Wilson did his thing, which resulted in some brickwalling. The "fixed" version removes this "remaster" and brickwalling effect. frown.gif

I tried contacting EMI but no luck as they have since been bought up by a larger label.

I'd be satisfied if someone would just burn me a copy of the fixed version -- I mean I have the packaging and have bought it....

Anyone out there want to be kind to me? (PM if you can help)
scott_bernstein is offline  
post #100 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I posted the Popmarket link over at SHF and have since eaten some humble pie about this. Did the corrected version ever come out in the anniversary edition or did the record company just do one pressing and send the corrected version out to whoever contacted them about it? The pessimist in me thinks they never fixed it in the first place.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #101 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I posted the Popmarket link over at SHF and have since eaten some humble pie about this. Did the corrected version ever come out in the anniversary edition or did the record company just do one pressing and send the corrected version out to whoever contacted them about it? The pessimist in me thinks they never fixed it in the first place.

Don't feel bad as I posted the Popmarket link here. How could we know that the sets Popmarket was selling were the bad DVD? I'm sure they will let anyone return the set if it is not the corrected DVD.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #102 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scott_bernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC, US
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've since found out that this Thick As A Brick set is now deleted from the catalog, so I'm assuming they're just dumping whatever stock they have leftover through Popmart...and probably have no clue that there's anything wrong with the discs. The company that bought up EMI claims no knowedge. I've tried. Also tried through Jethro Tull's store and they said they have no more copies of the repaired disc and don't ever expect anymore since the item is gone from the catalog. frown.gif
scott_bernstein is offline  
post #103 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post


Apparently it's worse than just the 3 glitches -- the mastering was flawed as well -- apparently the multichannel mix was "remastered" after Steve Wilson did his thing, which resulted in some brickwalling. The "fixed" version removes this "remaster" and brickwalling effect. frown.gif

I tried contacting EMI but no luck as they have since been bought up by a larger label.

I'd be satisfied if someone would just burn me a copy of the fixed version -- I mean I have the packaging and have bought it....

Anyone out there want to be kind to me? (PM if you can help)

You're correct, it's more than the 3 glitches, the overall sound quality is improved.
scolumbo is offline  
post #104 of 108 Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Don't feel bad as I posted the Popmarket link here. How could we know that the sets Popmarket was selling were the bad DVD? I'm sure they will let anyone return the set if it is not the corrected DVD.

Bill

I'm still waiting to hear their policy on this, sigh

And it was even worse for me - instead of $25 and free shipping, to send to Canada they charged $35 plus $15 shipping eek.gif

rick240 is offline  
post #105 of 108 Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Don't feel bad as I posted the Popmarket link here. How could we know that the sets Popmarket was selling were the bad DVD? I'm sure they will let anyone return the set if it is not the corrected DVD.

Bill


You're right Bill. I shouldn't feel bad because a company can't be bothered to fix their product. I've been trying to remember if the corrected version ever came out in the DE and only recall it was sent out if it was requested. Of course it's probably sitting on a shelf somewhere in a warehouse. My guess it was right next to the DE they just sold on Popmarket. rolleyes.gif
ti-triodes is offline  
post #106 of 108 Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
And to make it worse, my computer CD drive won't read the 2-ch CD mad.gif

rick240 is offline  
post #107 of 108 Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
steady teddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I see I'm late to this party and was about to order the CD + DVD version from Amazon but I thought I would do a search here first.

I assume the disc set currently up on Amazon is still defective?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVSAA66/...=ITJRZXUUBCP4G
steady teddy is offline  
post #108 of 108 Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
I see I'm late to this party and was about to order the CD + DVD version from Amazon but I thought I would do a search here first.

I assume the disc set currently up on Amazon is still defective?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVSAA66/...=ITJRZXUUBCP4G


You might as well give it a try. Some people on SHF have gotten the corrected disc in the package. Unfortunately the package isn't marked on the outside so it's still a crapshoot. The record company has changed hands so the replacement is no longer available.

You can always send it back to Amazon but it's well worth it if you get the corrected disc.
ti-triodes is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off