Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 115 Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Anyone looking to pick up the Thick as a Brick Anniversary Edition CD/DVD set it is available from popmarket for $24.99.

Bill
davidbarrickman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Anyone looking to pick up the Thick as a Brick Anniversary Edition CD/DVD set it is available from popmarket for $24.99.

Bill
I jumped on the deal, but of course my box came with the FAULTY disc. frown.gif And EMI has been merged into Warner so now I'm trying to track down SOMEONE who can find out if there is a replacement available in their stocks
post #93 of 115 Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

I jumped on the deal, but of course my box came with the FAULTY disc. frown.gif And EMI has been merged into Warner so now I'm trying to track down SOMEONE who can find out if there is a replacement available in their stocks

Faulty disc?

Mine is on its way - is there something I need to look for?

post #94 of 115 Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Faulty disc?

Mine is on its way - is there something I need to look for?
Yes, if you do a little searching on the web, apparently the DTS surround sound version on the DVD has glitches as well as a problematic transfer. There was a fixed version of the DVD issued soon after release that corrected both of these issues along with apologies from the band and promises that all future versions of the set would include the fixed version of the DVD, but apparently that's not the case with the Popmarket stock. It is obvious that the fixed version of the disc has a small horizontal line on the right side of the label imprinted on the DVD under the "duration",etc. text.

If you don't care to play the 5.1 channel version of the album, then no worries, but if you care then you'll want to get it replaced. I'm pursuing a few different avenues to find out if I can get a fix (which is now problematic because EMI, which released this set has been bought out by Universal Music which seems to have no idea about the issue).
post #95 of 115 Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, if you do a little searching on the web, apparently the DTS surround sound version on the DVD has glitches as well as a problematic transfer. There was a fixed version of the DVD issued soon after release that corrected both of these issues along with apologies from the band and promises that all future versions of the set would include the fixed version of the DVD, but apparently that's not the case with the Popmarket stock. It is obvious that the fixed version of the disc has a small horizontal line on the right side of the label imprinted on the DVD under the "duration",etc. text.

If you don't care to play the 5.1 channel version of the album, then no worries, but if you care then you'll want to get it replaced. I'm pursuing a few different avenues to find out if I can get a fix (which is now problematic because EMI, which released this set has been bought out by Universal Music which seems to have no idea about the issue).

I bought it for the 5.1 mix, sigh.

What did PopMarket have to say?

post #96 of 115 Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's too bad frown.gif. If you have no luck with Warner then contact Popmarket to get a refund.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #97 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is obvious that the fixed version of the disc has a small horizontal line on the right side of the label imprinted on the DVD under the "duration",etc. text.

**** - mine just arrived and no line mad.gif

Do all "fixed" versions have this line?

post #98 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just had a quick listen - and the three glitches are there mad.gif

post #99 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Just had a quicl listen - and the three glitches are there mad.gif
Apparently it's worse than just the 3 glitches -- the mastering was flawed as well -- apparently the multichannel mix was "remastered" after Steve Wilson did his thing, which resulted in some brickwalling. The "fixed" version removes this "remaster" and brickwalling effect. frown.gif

I tried contacting EMI but no luck as they have since been bought up by a larger label.

I'd be satisfied if someone would just burn me a copy of the fixed version -- I mean I have the packaging and have bought it....

Anyone out there want to be kind to me? (PM if you can help)
post #100 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I posted the Popmarket link over at SHF and have since eaten some humble pie about this. Did the corrected version ever come out in the anniversary edition or did the record company just do one pressing and send the corrected version out to whoever contacted them about it? The pessimist in me thinks they never fixed it in the first place.
post #101 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I posted the Popmarket link over at SHF and have since eaten some humble pie about this. Did the corrected version ever come out in the anniversary edition or did the record company just do one pressing and send the corrected version out to whoever contacted them about it? The pessimist in me thinks they never fixed it in the first place.

Don't feel bad as I posted the Popmarket link here. How could we know that the sets Popmarket was selling were the bad DVD? I'm sure they will let anyone return the set if it is not the corrected DVD.

Bill

post #102 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I've since found out that this Thick As A Brick set is now deleted from the catalog, so I'm assuming they're just dumping whatever stock they have leftover through Popmart...and probably have no clue that there's anything wrong with the discs. The company that bought up EMI claims no knowedge. I've tried. Also tried through Jethro Tull's store and they said they have no more copies of the repaired disc and don't ever expect anymore since the item is gone from the catalog. frown.gif
post #103 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Apparently it's worse than just the 3 glitches -- the mastering was flawed as well -- apparently the multichannel mix was "remastered" after Steve Wilson did his thing, which resulted in some brickwalling. The "fixed" version removes this "remaster" and brickwalling effect. frown.gif

I tried contacting EMI but no luck as they have since been bought up by a larger label.

I'd be satisfied if someone would just burn me a copy of the fixed version -- I mean I have the packaging and have bought it....

Anyone out there want to be kind to me? (PM if you can help)

You're correct, it's more than the 3 glitches, the overall sound quality is improved.
post #104 of 115 Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't feel bad as I posted the Popmarket link here. How could we know that the sets Popmarket was selling were the bad DVD? I'm sure they will let anyone return the set if it is not the corrected DVD.

Bill

I'm still waiting to hear their policy on this, sigh

And it was even worse for me - instead of $25 and free shipping, to send to Canada they charged $35 plus $15 shipping eek.gif

post #105 of 115 Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill

You're right Bill. I shouldn't feel bad because a company can't be bothered to fix their product. I've been trying to remember if the corrected version ever came out in the DE and only recall it was sent out if it was requested. Of course it's probably sitting on a shelf somewhere in a warehouse. My guess it was right next to the DE they just sold on Popmarket. rolleyes.gif
post #106 of 115 Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

And to make it worse, my computer CD drive won't read the 2-ch CD mad.gif

post #107 of 115 Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I see I'm late to this party and was about to order the CD + DVD version from Amazon but I thought I would do a search here first.

I assume the disc set currently up on Amazon is still defective?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVSAA66/...=ITJRZXUUBCP4G
post #108 of 115 Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
I see I'm late to this party and was about to order the CD + DVD version from Amazon but I thought I would do a search here first.

I assume the disc set currently up on Amazon is still defective?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVSAA66/...=ITJRZXUUBCP4G

You might as well give it a try. Some people on SHF have gotten the corrected disc in the package. Unfortunately the package isn't marked on the outside so it's still a crapshoot. The record company has changed hands so the replacement is no longer available.

You can always send it back to Amazon but it's well worth it if you get the corrected disc.
post #109 of 115 Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Just received my copy from Amazon yesterday. I'm confused. Looking at the disc, there isn't any line under time remaining so it looks like I have an original pressing.

I listened to the both the DTS & Dolby 5.1 surround mixes and did not hear any popping noises or any other glitches. My ears aren't what they used to be but I have a quality surround system and played the disc as loud I can handle (without being intoxicated) but could not hear anything wrong. Was every single original print considered defective??

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new sep 018.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	245818  
post #110 of 115 Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just received my copy from Amazon yesterday. I'm confused. Looking at the disc, there isn't any line under time remaining so it looks like I have an original pressing.

I listened to the both the DTS & Dolby 5.1 surround mixes and did not hear any popping noises or any other glitches. My ears aren't what they used to be but I have a quality surround system and played the disc as loud I can handle (without being intoxicated) but could not hear anything wrong. Was every single original print considered defective??

Thanks

Anything without the line was the original defective copy. Maybe you shouldn't crank it up so much when you listen again. IIRC, it's around the 2+ minute mark so it's easy to find. I heard it as more of a crackle. Of course, if you're happy with it, that's cool. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.
post #111 of 115 Old 09-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Anything without the line was the original defective copy. Maybe you shouldn't crank it up so much when you listen again. IIRC, it's around the 2+ minute mark so it's easy to find. I heard it as more of a crackle. Of course, if you're happy with it, that's cool. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.
You're not steering me wrong ti-triodes, I appreciate the help.

I played it pretty loud on first listen and honestly could not hear anything during the 2-4 minute mark. I think I would have heard something on my HT system. It sounded good/normal to me. I will give it another go when I get home from work tonight and play it at a louder level (to hell with the neighbors).

I know the original versions are defective but I still cannot get confirmation on whether ALL of the original discs are indeed defective. Didn't find anything from a Google search.
post #112 of 115 Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're not steering me wrong ti-triodes, I appreciate the help.

I played it pretty loud on first listen and honestly could not hear anything during the 2-4 minute mark. I think I would have heard something on my HT system. It sounded good/normal to me. I will give it another go when I get home from work tonight and play it at a louder level (to hell with the neighbors).

I know the original versions are defective but I still cannot get confirmation on whether ALL of the original discs are indeed defective. Didn't find anything from a Google search.

I got my replacement disc when they were first released. Anything without the line was the original defective copy. Of course, they could have done another pressing since then without a line.

I didn't listen to it loudly and the problems were pretty obvious. Maybe you can give your neighbors a break.
post #113 of 115 Old 09-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Nope. Played the DTS track again last night and tried to listen very closely. At 2:32 there may have been an oh so slight blip but other than that nothing. I would not have noticed it at all if I wasn't trying to listen to it. I"m reading comments on the mix fading in and out elsewhere but I'm not hearing any of that.

Hate to keep beating this topic into the ground but I'm wondering if the defective disc is more noticeable on some disc players than it is on others? I only bring this up because I've encountered this problem several times before; One disc was incompatible on one of my disc players yet played flawlessly on another. Just saying. I'm using an Oppo BDP 105

At any rate I'm not sure what to do at this point. If the mix on the new version sounds better and Amazon has one in stock I'd like to swap mine for a new one even though mine doesn't sound that bad...I think.

Now I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Last edited by steady teddy; 09-06-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #114 of 115 Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an Oppo 95 and the audio wasn't changed much going to a 105 from everything I've read. Short of plugging a different player and giving that a try I guess it boils down to if you like it, keep it.
post #115 of 115 Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I have an Oppo 95 and the audio wasn't changed much going to a 105 from everything I've read. Short of plugging a different player and giving that a try I guess it boils down to if you like it, keep it.
I also have an Oppo BDP 83 and it sounded the same on that disc player. On second thought I think I'll just hang on to this disc I guess. I doubt I'm missing out on anything and I don't want to take the chance on exchanging it for one that really IS defective.

Thanks again
ti-triodes likes this.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page