Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick Anniversary Edition - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 115 Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what the package for the Anniversary Edition of Thick as a Brick contains? All I have seen is a 2 disc CD/DVD combo pack, that indicates the DVD is audio. Is it surround sound version?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
There will be a vinyl release and a CD/DVD release. They are imports but I assume they will be released here eventually.

As per Amazon. The 40th Anniversary Edition features a new 5.1 stereo mix, mixed by Steven Wilson, plus a DVD containing DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix, high quality stereos 96/24 (new mix and 1972 flat transfer), the original newspaper over 40 pages, an article by Classic Rock s Dom Lawson, rare photos from photographers Didi Zill and Robert Ellis, recording and touring mementos and much more, all contained in 104 page 7 ½ x 5 ½ hardback book.

As you can see, there will be no lossless 5.1, but at lest you have the option of surround without buying the whole box set, like Aqualung.

91_HMb_Pu_nc_L_AA1500.jpg

91mc54_DM7_L_AA1500.jpg

Thanks to the Hoffman guys for the pics.
post #3 of 115 Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

There will be a vinyl release and a CD/DVD release. They are imports but I assume they will be released here eventually.
As per Amazon. The 40th Anniversary Edition features a new 5.1 stereo mix, mixed by Steven Wilson, plus a DVD containing DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix, high quality stereos 96/24 (new mix and 1972 flat transfer), the original newspaper over 40 pages, an article by Classic Rock s Dom Lawson, rare photos from photographers Didi Zill and Robert Ellis, recording and touring mementos and much more, all contained in 104 page 7 ½ x 5 ½ hardback book.
As you can see, there will be no lossless 5.1, but at lest you have the option of surround without buying the whole box set, like Aqualung.
91_HMb_Pu_nc_L_AA1500.jpg
91mc54_DM7_L_AA1500.jpg
Thanks to the Hoffman guys for the pics.
Why couldn't this at least have been on BluRay offering Dolby TruHD and/or DTS-HD MA? This is one of my favorite albums of all time and I've been waiting years for it to be properly remastered.frown.gif
post #4 of 115 Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

As per Amazon. The 40th Anniversary Edition features a new 5.1 stereo mix,

Huh? Yes I realize Amazon is often incorrect in their descriptions, but this one takes the cake.
post #5 of 115 Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 439
You base this on what? Please.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #6 of 115 Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
no such thing as a " 5.1 stereo mix"
post #7 of 115 Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post

no such thing as a " 5.1 stereo mix"

Technically, there is!

"Stereophonic sound or, more commonly, stereo, is a method of sound reproduction that creates an illusion of directionality and audible perspective. This is usually achieved by using two or more independent audio channels through a configuration of two or more loudspeakers in such a way as to create the impression of sound heard from various directions, as in natural hearing.[1] Thus the term "stereophonic" applies to so-called "quadraphonic" and "surround-sound" systems as well as the more common 2-channel, 2-speaker systems. It is often contrasted with monophonic, or "mono" sound, where audio is in the form of one channel, often centered in the sound field (analogous to a visual field). Stereo sound is now common in entertainment systems such as broadcast radio and TV, recorded music and the cinema."
post #8 of 115 Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Amazon.co.uk just sent an email notification that the cd/DVD book set was dispatched. Looking forward to it. Btw Larks Tongues in Aspic cd/DVD set was dispatched on Oct 16 but still did not show up mad.gif
post #9 of 115 Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just put my order in for this. Wasn't thrilled about the price, but sure is a better price than what the Aqualung 5.1 is going for. Should be interesting. I sure do hope they re-release just the 5.1 version of Aqualung without the other stuff sometime soon.
post #10 of 115 Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Listened to the 24/96 new stereo mix a couple of times. Amazing quality. The box is beautiful. The newspaper is fun to read, and the color pics are great.
post #11 of 115 Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Have you listened to the 5.1 mix? Any truth to the comment on the Amazon US site that: "There is a production defect with the 5.1 DVD. At times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" there is audio defect that is heard"?
post #12 of 115 Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Have you listened to the 5.1 mix? Any truth to the comment on the Amazon US site that: "There is a production defect with the 5.1 DVD. At times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" there is audio defect that is heard"?

I have listened to the dts 96/24 surround mix once. There are no noticeable defects on my copy but the lossless 96/24 stereo mix provides much more clarity so I stick to the default new stereo mix when spinning the DVD. I haven't even tried the flat transfer of the old stereo mix because the new one is so good.
post #13 of 115 Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is interested in this, check your local BB. They are selling them for the same price as Amazon. My local BB had about a dozen CD/DVD sets on the shelves. I forgot to check if the vinyl set is out yet.
post #14 of 115 Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Why couldn't this at least have been on BluRay offering Dolby TruHD and/or DTS-HD MA? This is one of my favorite albums of all time and I've been waiting years for it to be properly remastered.frown.gif

agreed, a BluRay with DTS-MA would have been preferred.

Although The DTS 5.1 track is a 24/96 quality mix, it's still a lossless codec (at a high 1,5Mbps rate). On my high-end system, it sure sounds mighty fine. Not as good Steve Wilson's own BluRay recordings, but considering the age of the original and all that, it is really a treat to hear this in a 5.1 format.

I about wore out the original vinyl pressing in the 70's using a Sansui quad receiver to create four channels, so this new surround mix is a true revelation.

Jonathan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 115 Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

If anyone is interested in this, check your local BB. They are selling them for the same price as Amazon. My local BB had about a dozen CD/DVD sets on the shelves. I forgot to check if the vinyl set is out yet.

plan on checking bb out this afternoon...hope they have it

by the way ti...i've always loved that cover art for "larks tongues.."

when i moved into my first apartment ('77) i painted a 3 foot version of it on the dining room wall...

took a gallon of primer to cover it before i moved out...
post #16 of 115 Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Haven't listened to it yet, but my copy of the CD/DVD arrived in the mail today from Burning Shed.

Agree with warp2600, the box/newspaper/pics are incredible.
post #17 of 115 Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello All,
I think the 5.1 DTS mix of this album is not that great. If you compare the sound of the Steve Wilson mixed Aqualung there is no comparison! The mix is way to harsh and there are 2 glitches as reported. If you do not believe me this was taken from a SW reply in another website,
I appreciate that some of you think this release sounds better than others. However to me it is clear that something has gone wrong, as I barely recognise it as the mix I delivered. I am discussing with EMI - the glitches near the start of Part 1 on the 5.1 streams certainly need to be rectified, and this may yet prove to be a silver lining. I am sorry for this lapse in quality control. *Please* keep this info just to this forum for the time being please, as nothing is official from EMI's side, however I thought you guys should know, as I do hope things will be fixed. In the meantime if you do decide to return your copies to whevever you bought them on the basis that you aren't happy with the quality, I think that would be an entirely reasonable course of action. Thanks for your attention.

SW
post #18 of 115 Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Nil

How disappointing! One of the more important re-releases this year, and Steven Wilson's hard work is undone by Peter Mew's atrocious mastering. The same Peter Mew who apparently reversed the front and rear channels for the Ten Years After - A Space In Time 4.1 DTS 96/24 DVD release that I spent a lot of money for and received today. This sloppy mastering and poor quality control is unbelievable, considering that many people already have multiple releases of this music over the years, and have now dropped additional money in (it now appears false) hopes of receiving a superior product. Ordinarily, heads would roll at EMI, Chrysalis, and Abbey Road for such a ****-up, but it is more likely that the parties involved will get a bonus and a promotion - unless enough people return their copies and the profit margin gets affected. That said, I am hanging on to the TYA release, reversal and all, because I don't believe that Chrysalis would ever fix something that sold relatively few copies. But TAAB1 should sell a lot more copies, and EMI may pay attention to returns in this case.
post #19 of 115 Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Having listened to the surround mix a couple of times now, I would say the mix itself is decent, but the overall sound quality is harsh and overly bright. Nowhere near the quality of Aqualung (which is lossless, of course). What's worse, the audio glitches are very noticeable.

What a disappointment, this is one of my all-time favorites and I so wanted this to be great. Besides fixing the quality control issues, if it's the mastering that's to blame for the poor sound quality, EMI should give this the treatment it deserves, and re-release the surround mix with proper mastering and in a lossless format (I can dream). I'm uncertain at this point whether I will return my copy.
post #20 of 115 Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I only listened to the Surround version once, but I did notice the pops near the beginning of the song. And, although the whole albumn sounded good, I wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. Now, I'll have to decide whether I want to go through the hassle of returning it. Maybe the record company will come clean, like they did with the Rush surrounds on the Sector 1,2,3 box sets.
post #21 of 115 Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Calling a spade a spade, the 5.1 version is awful. Almost unlistenable. The glitches are pretty minor, frankly, but the phasey, distorted, overly bright cymbals beginning at about the 6 minute mark are painful. What a shame.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #22 of 115 Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news. Ian Anderson, Steve Wilson and EMI are aware of the defective DVD and will EMI will be issuing a replacement for anyone who already has a copy. Let's hope they fix everything and not just the pops. I was just about to return mine but I'll probably hold on to it now. Remember to save those receipts!

https://www.facebook.com/officialjethrotull?fref=ts

STOP PRESS: AUDIO GLITICHES ON TAAB 40th Special Edition DVD

We have been alerted to the fact that there are three small audio glitches on the 5.1 streams on the DVD part of the Thick As A Brick Special Edition CD/DVD set. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Any new stock going into stores will be amended & for fans who’ve already purchased the set we will be making available a replacement DVD disc for you. More information to follow shortly. This occurred in the very final stage of mastering prior to manufacture of the commercial run of product and was not noticed until attentive early purchasers spotted the digital errors. With our apologies.

EMI Music, Ian Anderson and Steven Wilson.
post #23 of 115 Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good news. Ian Anderson, Steve Wilson and EMI are aware of the defective DVD and will EMI will be issuing a replacement for anyone who already has a copy. Let's hope they fix everything and not just the pops. I was just about to return mine but I'll probably hold on to it now. Remember to save those receipts!
https://www.facebook.com/officialjethrotull?fref=ts
STOP PRESS: AUDIO GLITICHES ON TAAB 40th Special Edition DVD
We have been alerted to the fact that there are three small audio glitches on the 5.1 streams on the DVD part of the Thick As A Brick Special Edition CD/DVD set. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Any new stock going into stores will be amended & for fans who’ve already purchased the set we will be making available a replacement DVD disc for you. More information to follow shortly. This occurred in the very final stage of mastering prior to manufacture of the commercial run of product and was not noticed until attentive early purchasers spotted the digital errors. With our apologies.
EMI Music, Ian Anderson and Steven Wilson.
This is great, but how are we going to know when the replacement disks are in stores? And, since this recording probably isn't that big a seller for a merchant such as Best Buy, how do we know they'll bother restocking it again for a handful of enthusiasts on the AVS Forum?
post #24 of 115 Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

This is great, but how are we going to know when the replacement disks are in stores? And, since this recording probably isn't that big a seller for a merchant such as Best Buy, how do we know they'll bother restocking it again for a handful of enthusiasts on the AVS Forum?

Sorry, but no one is going to tell us anything. It's up to us to keep track of what's going on. At least IA and SW are contacting people through Facebook. Stores will probably just sell out their current stock unless there is a recall. Let's hope they do recall the rest of these turds.

For anyone who already has it, they'll probably do something where you have to send the defective disc back to them, or at least show some proof that you bought it. That's what was done with the defective Gladiator and Star Trek:TNG BD's.
post #25 of 115 Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For anyone who already has it, they'll probably do something where you have to send the defective disc back to them, or at least show some proof that you bought it. That's what was done with the defective Gladiator and Star Trek:TNG BD's.
This would assume that Best Buy gets new inventory. What a sham!
post #26 of 115 Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Recently, I got a replacement disk in the mail for something, I can't remember just now for what. I didn't ask for it. That's the way it should be done. It was something I bought from Amazon.co.uk. Chariots of Fire?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #27 of 115 Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Recently, I got a replacement disk in the mail for something, I can't remember just now for what. I didn't ask for it. That's the way it should be done. It was something I bought from Amazon.co.uk. Chariots of Fire?

Thats pretty rare in the US...maybe it is a "British" thing:D
post #28 of 115 Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Yesterday I contacted amazon.co.uk where I bought my cd/dvd set. They immediately replied that the item status at their website is "under review" so they can offer me two options: return with a refund or a replacement when it is available. I chose the latter. For the time being I am happy with the stereo mixes. If the surround mix had originally been in a lossless format, I would be more annoyed because my expectations would have been much higher. As it is only dts, I do not care much. But if there is a corrected disc availabe as a replacement in the future, I do not want to miss the opportunity so that I won't regret later.
post #29 of 115 Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
went to pick this up last week...couldn't find it

went yesterday, had my hands on it, but put it back 'cause of this thread...

i wanted it badly...damn
post #30 of 115 Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Thats pretty rare in the US...maybe it is a "British" thing:D
And the sad thing is that I can't find it to see what disc it was. frown.gif

And it was Chariots of Fire: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401793/chariots-of-fire-30th-anniversary-edition/50_50#post_22341148

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page