Anyone hearing big differences between DTS-HD MA and TrueHD and regular Dolby 5.1? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Well, with nearly all Blu-rays, there's only one English language track and it's lossless. So, you'll rarely have to make a choice to get the best available audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold333 View Post

To be honest your answer goes over my head I'm afraid, I'm not very technical.

I just have a tendency now for when I have a choice in watching a movie to select the True HD option because of that experience. Anyhow it's not like those extra mbps are empty.
I'm not saying that 640 kbps DD sounds the same a TrueHD, but the differences are smaller than you report, and that there are other possible factors involved.

If you have the BD with TrueHD, it carries a companion DD track, probably 640 kbps. And if you connect the player using the S/PDIF output (optical or coax), that is what you will hear. It can be compared with the lossless via the HDMI. Then at least there is a higher chance that you are comparing apples to apples, rather than using VLC.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I didn't want room acoustics or a separate amplifier / decoder to influence what I was hearing.

I just send both soundfiles straight into in-ear low hz earbuds using a pc and could really hear the difference. To me the difference was even more pronounced than between say an mp3 at 128kbps and 256 kbps, but it was the same sort of difference, just more sound information in one compare to the other but I guess mileage may vary obviously.
post #34 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold333 View Post

Well I didn't want room acoustics or a separate amplifier / decoder to influence what I was hearing.
Why would you need to use different amps/decoders? Any A/V decoder that handles TrueHD also handles DD -- just switch between S/PDIF and HDMI. And many such decoders have a headphone output so that could be used instead of speakers. If the decoder has no HP output, then the line outputs can feed an external headphone amp.
Quote:
I just send both soundfiles straight into in-ear low hz earbuds using a pc and could really hear the difference. To me the difference was even more pronounced than between say an mp3 at 128kbps and 256 kbps, but it was the same sort of difference, just more sound information in one compare to the other but I guess mileage may vary obviously.
I have no reason to doubt you hear a difference. I am suggesting that the difference is not solely due to the codecs, and therefore cannot be ascribed to the codecs. The VLC decoder is an unknown quantity, uncertified for either TrueHD or DD.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page