Help a newbie start a DVD-A collection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
BHW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently picked up an Acura that will play DVD-A discs. I've never found any need to buy them in the past, when they were more readily available. And now they seem hard to find. Well, except for "Love" by the Beatles. That one was easy, and cheap. I saw the thread about the Skynrd 3 piece set, will try to grab that one too.

My question is, what other CDs tossed in a DVD-A like the Beatles and Skynrd? Any that are relatively easy to find? I"m primarily interested in rock, classic rock, metal, blues, jazz.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you have a hankering for Rush, you can get the Moving Pictures CD/DVD-A set, as well as the Sector box sets, which contain CD and DVD-A versions of Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings, and Signals. Although, of all of these, I have to say Moving Pictures must have the best quality surround mix of all of them (although the upcoming Super Deluxe reissue of 2112 may top that, though from what I hear that one has a Blu-ray Disc, and probably not a DVD-A; time will tell what it has). Each of these should be available in most record stores and online, particularly the Sector sets.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the acoustics and audio system in a car isn't going to be able to resolve any benefits from high-res audio. Surround music may be pleasing, but this can be obtained from any DVD. So, you can take any surround audio track, decode it and burn your own DVD-A discs using one of the available softwares that do this. No need to spend lots of $ on DVD-A discs when you can spend a little on software.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Try the King Crimson cd/dvd-a box sets. Also, you might like the Talking Heads sets or dual discs.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
BHW

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the Rush Cds.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM

Find the Donald Fagen DVD-Audio discs if you like that Steely Dan type music. These sound fantastic in the Acura, and despite what some may argue, the HiRez in the car can definately be heard. Crank up a tune like "Snowbound" from Kamakiriad in HiRez 5.1 in that Acura and you will not believe your ears. Then play the CD. You will smile. smile.gif (and never play the CD in there again!)

[Early Adopter]
post #7 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
BHW

I took RDGrimes post with a grain of salt...to put it politely. I can play these on my system in the house too, but rarely felt the need. I spend more time in the car than in my living room. smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 View Post

Find the Donald Fagen DVD-Audio discs if you like that Steely Dan type music. These sound fantastic in the Acura, and despite what some may argue, the HiRez in the car can definately be heard. Crank up a tune like "Snowbound" from Kamakiriad in HiRez 5.1 in that Acura and you will not believe your ears. Then play the CD. You will smile. smile.gif (and never play the CD in there again!)

All of Fagen's solo albums are great, and the first three have DVD-A surround releases (Make sure that you get DVD-A and not the MVI box set - the MVI set is DVD video format and wont play in the car). Steely Dan's Gaucho also has a surround mix on DVD-A.

Completely unrelated, Blue Man Group's Audio is a fun disc, and really shows off the surround capabilities of the car. I test drove a TL ages ago, and that's the disc the dealer used to demo the sound system.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

I took RDGrimes post with a grain of salt...to put it politely. I can play these on my system in the house too, but rarely felt the need. I spend more time in the car than in my living room. smile.gif

I do too. To me, the car is the perfect spot for surround listening, as your fixed in one spot, you have easy control of the music, and lots of dedicated time for listening. Avoid all 'Silverline' DVD-A's. You'll see them on eBay at the bottom of a price sort search. Although there are a few good ones, the majority are fake surround, poorly made, and sound worse than a CD. Stick with the labels you recognize (WB group, UMG, Capitol, Arista, etc) and you'll be fine. They all are not as pristine as the SteelyDan/Fagan discs, but many are.

As with all music, it's a crap shoot. But well worth the search (if you can keep the costs reasonable)

[Early Adopter]
post #10 of 14 Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
BHW

The Roger Waters, Wall Live in Berlin sounds pretty good in 5.1 in the Acura.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the MDX, and the better DVD-A's sound fantastic. And I say this as an owner of a very expensive surround system in my main listening room.

Fortunately I built most of my DVD-A collection well before I bought the Acura (2010 Advance model), back when DVD-A's were readily available and very reasonably priced. I could recommend a bunch to you, but from what I've seen most are selling for big bucks as they are getting rare.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
BHW

Actually found the Skynyrd CD/DVD combo at WallyWorld tonight. Not bad for $12!
post #13 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the acoustics and audio system in a car isn't going to be able to resolve any benefits from high-res audio. Surround music may be pleasing, but this can be obtained from any DVD. So, you can take any surround audio track, decode it and burn your own DVD-A discs using one of the available softwares that do this. No need to spend lots of $ on DVD-A discs when you can spend a little on software.

+1... even if one believes that somehow dvd-a provides superior sq, it would be complelely lost in the noise floor of a car... wink.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
BHW, I got my Lynard CD from Walmart in Wake Forest also. I also had an Acura, an RL, but traded it in for a Ford F150 I needed. Sound was very nice in the Acura ,

Enjoy!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page