DVD-Audio Authoring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All.

First of all, my apologies if this has been covered somewhere else - this is my first visit. I did try a few searches, but couldn't find anything specific to my question.

I only own a single DVD-Audio disc, although this is more down to my limited / stubborn taste in music. Said DVD-A disc contains both 6ch and 2ch 24/96 versions of the album, which when played back with Creative DVD-Audio Player, can be selected by using the 'Alternative Track' option.

I was wondering if it is possible to author a disc like this myself? I have recently purchased a 24bit FLAC version of Tubular Bells, which I am legally permitted to burn to DVD-Audio. This has both 5.1 and stereo mixes. I am willing to burn seperate DVDs if required, but the total data only amounts to 3.9Gb, so would fit on a single DVD-R. It's simply a matter of convenience, such as when I'm on the move and listen through headphones (my portable DVD player supports full DVD-Audio playback, not just DTS / AC-3 from the DVD-Video specification).

I've been reading numerous recoomendations for DVD-Audio Solo. I would be grateful if someone could tell me if this would be suitable, and if not, reccomend other software.

I know my way around audio formats, so wouldn't need software to transcode for me - it is literally something that will produce a compliant DVD-Audio standard disc.

Cheers

Gaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 235
You can also just put the FLAC files on a DVD-ROM and play them that way. Assuming your player supports FLAC.
But don't assume that 3.9GB of FLAC files will fit on a DVD once de-compressed to some other format.

5.1 audio requires MLP compression to be useable on a DVD-A disc.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

My portable DVD player is actually fairly old - a Panasonic DVD-LX 9. It supports MP3 / WMA (but not WMA Pro or WMA Lossless) and HighMAT. This is fine for CD quality music, and I have created several HighMAT discs to use with the player.

If I want to playback high resolution music, I will need to use the DVD Audio format.

Also (and apologies for not being more specific about this in my first post), the 3.9Gb are the converted FLAC files (2.4Gb of FLAC = 3.9Gb DVD-A). It's just a case of authoring, not transcoding.

Cheers

Gaz
post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Stereo high res music does not require DVD-A format, plain DVD-V supports PCM audio up to 24/192. For 5.1 24/96 audio, MLP compression and DVD-A formatting is required.

I'm not familiar with any DVD-A authoring tools that offer MLP compression support, but any one that does will serve your purpose. From what I can see, DVD-Audio Solo does not offer MLP compression and is limited to uncompressed PCM output.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 AM
sa

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Stereo high res music does not require DVD-A format, plain DVD-V supports PCM audio up to 24/192. For 5.1 24/96 audio, MLP compression and DVD-A formatting is required.

Actually, DVD-V supports stereo PCM up to 24/96. If you want 24/192 you need DVD-AUDIO and MLP.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Actually, DVD-V supports stereo PCM up to 24/96. If you want 24/192 you need DVD-AUDIO and MLP.

Incorrect, 24/192 stereo can and has been done in DVD-V.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page