Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am currently experimenting with creating music in 5.1

I have recently created a 5.1 mix on my pc, and I'm trying to play it on an Onkyo receiver. I have created both an AC3 file and DD wav file. I am trying to figure out the best way to play this file on the receiver WITHOUT connected the PC directly to the receiver (big, bulky server case + receiver setup = makes this impractical).

I can play the AC3 file on my pc, the wav file, as expected, is just static. I have tried both files being moved to a USB, but the receiver will not play either. I have tested the USB on a bluray player, same issue. I have tried burning the 5.1 wav file to CD and playing through the bluray player, but it only plays static, the same as if I were to play the wav file on my PC. I have considered burning a DVD, but it seems most software would require video, and I'm not convinced wasting a DVD on a 5 min. audio track is the best option.

TL/DR: What is the best way to play my 5.1 audio file through the receiver?

Thanks for you Help!

/bt

**I'm sure there are multiple forums out there, discussing the pros and cons of surround sound music production, so its redundant and unhelpful to discuss that here**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm, I want to experiment with this.

What software are you using to create/convert this audio or can you post an example file?

I have DLNA setup between my computers and my AV center.

Sony Blueray, with USB/dlna, also have a ps3 with dlna, and I have a roku with a usb port I can test out.
I'm also wondering if a nonstandard setup would work such as a DVD-Audio disk but burned to a CD or possible a small 3.5inch DVD disk.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have been considering this as an option as well. I had this setup at one point in time, but due to high IP traffic, it was better just to go through usb. Time to reconsider! This might be the best solution, as it's just too much to burn any disc every time, to test a song. Test, Fail, Fix, Repeat! < Just want to speed up this process

As far as software, i was using ableton live to create the music. The conversion to 5.1, I can't remember the program later. I'm at work. I've literally had the software for less than 1 hour, when I tested it : ) so I can't remember what it's called. Extremely simple interface. Drag and drop 2 channel wav files, and literally select which channels go to which speakers.

Although I have many DAW's, Ableton was just too easy to throw something together just to test with. I had to use Sony Sound Forge to merge two 'effects' tracks into a single "Surround L/R" wav file, and to convert a 2 channel "LFE" to mono. But this discussion is probably best left for another thread. TNX Javi!
post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Remember you can just leave the regular L/R low frequency content as is since LFE is just an additional channel.

most home audio recievers will take content below a configured cross over point from all channels and send it to the SUB in addition to the LFE channel content.

I believe the LFE channel is technically a full range channel but you want to stay below the 80Hz range since you can start to detect where bass is coming from about above that range. Some people can tell more than others.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

The (crappy) software I (got for free) am using is Sonic Foundry: Soft Encode. Extremely simple interface, which is always good, but it will only allow you to import 6 channels. So when I tried to pull in my 'LFE' track, that was 2 channel, there were more than 6 total channels. I am about to test out some software by a company called Cirlinca that is relatively inexpensive.

So this seems to resolve my issue. Almost all DVD/Bluray burning software does not support SACD/DVD-Audio/Bluray Audio formats. You have to special software, like the above mentioned Cirlinca for 'Authoring' Mixes and creating a DVD\Bluray Audio Disc.

Javi, you said, "you want to stay below the 80Hz range since you can start to detect where bass is coming from..." Not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean that it starts to become obvious which speaker the lower freqs. are coming from?

Thanks again Javi
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Yes that is exactly correct.

It is a very highly contested topic around these parts but the directionality (i invented a word) becomes more apparent the higher in frequency you go.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_effects
I say stay below 80Hz for LFE but that is just me.

also the LFE channel is just a single channel so if you have stereo content for your use, just mix the 2 channels, not sure if that means anything or not, may have just misunderstood one of your comments.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page