AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Surround Music Formats (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/)
-   -   Steely Dan Two Against Nature DVD (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/1444116-steely-dan-two-against-nature-dvd.html)

Theresa 12-08-2012 04:06 AM

The DTS track on this SD DVD is quite good. Of course it's not up to BD standards but enjoyable none the less.

William 12-08-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

The DTS track on this SD DVD is quite good. Of course it's not up to BD standards but enjoyable none the less.
You can buy Two Against Nature in DVD-A which IS up to BD standards.wink.gif

Theresa 12-08-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

You can buy Two Against Nature in DVD-A which IS up to BD standards.wink.gif

Yes, I have the 96/24 version, downloaded from HDTracks I think.
I'm listening to the DVD with my Senn HD600 headphones right now. The audio isn't the same quality as the HD version but is still entertaining.

Bill Mac 12-08-2012 01:06 PM

I have the Two Against Nature and the Everything Must Go DVD-A and both sound excellent in 5.1 Hi-Rez smile.gif.

Bill

BGLeduc 12-08-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have the Two Against Nature and the Everything Must Go DVD-A and both sound excellent in 5.1 Hi-Rez smile.gif.
Bill

"Godwhacker" has some sort of weird interaction with my set-up.

When that track comes on, the volume just seems to go louder and louder. I can't seem to figure it out. :-)

Brian

Bill Mac 12-08-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

"Godwhacker" has some sort of weird interaction with my set-up.
When that track comes on, the volume just seems to go louder and louder. I can't seem to figure it out. :-)
Brian

Brian

That does seem odd confused.gif. I'll check that tune as soon as I get a chance although it might have to be on Monday.

Bill

BGLeduc 12-08-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Brian
That does seem odd confused.gif. I'll check that tune as soon as I get a chance although it might have to be on Monday.
Bill

You did see the smiley there, right Bill? It looks like this... :-)

Perhaps my humor was a bit too subtle, but when that tune comes on, I seem unable to stop myself from cranking it. Your referring to it actually motivated me to give it a spin this afternoon.....yup, same problem. :-)

That is one killer sounding DVD-A.

Brian

Bill Mac 12-08-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

You did see the smiley there, right Bill? It looks like this... :-)
Perhaps my humor was a bit to subtle, but when that tune comes on, I seem unable to stop myself from cranking it. Your referring to it actually motivated me to give it a spin this afternoon.....yup, same problem. :-)
That is one killer sounding DVD-A.
Brian

Brian,

Yep, I missed that smile.gif. I'm on like 4 hours sleep in the last two days so I'm not really with it. I have the house to myself on Monday so both of these DVD-As will be given a spin. I'll see if I run into the same "sudden volume increase" issue as well wink.gif.

Bill

Bill Mac 12-10-2012 07:26 AM

Well I'm currently listening to the Two Against Nature DVD-A and unfortunately it has the "sudden volume increase" issue wink.gif. I started at -15dB and it jumped to -7.5 all on its own eek.gif! Next up is the Everything Must Go DVD-A and I'll have to see if this disc has the same issue. By the way the SQ on this DVD-A is excellent and well worth adding to ones music collection. I have heard the Ricky Martin SACD has the reverse effect where the volume turns down completely and then ones system shuts down all on its own biggrin.gif. I personally have no experience with this SACD but Dan or Steve might wink.gif.

Bill

BGLeduc 12-10-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well I'm currently listening to the Two Against Nature DVD-A and unfortunately it has the "sudden volume increase" issue wink.gif. I started at -15dB and it jumped to -7.5 all on its own eek.gif! Next up is the Everything Must Go DVD-A and I'll have to see if this disc has the same issue. By the way the SQ on this DVD-A is excellent and well worth adding to ones music collection. I have heard the Ricky Martin SACD has the reverse effect where the volume turns down completely and then ones system shuts down all on its own biggrin.gif. I personally have no experience with this SACD but Dan or Steve might wink.gif.
Bill

I have also observed the same problem with Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" SACD (good luck finding a copy of that).

While certainly not in the same league sonically as anything from SD, hearing the guitars spread around the room has given new life to music that I thought I had heard one too many times. A pity that they never got around to doing "Rocks" in MC.

Brian

holt7153 12-10-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I personally have no experience with this SACD but Dan or Steve might wink.gif.

Yeah, I know I'm a little behind on my review of this gem. It's still new and sealed and would hate for it to lose its value biggrin.gif. Maybe next Sunday after a 49er victory wink.gif.

Bill Mac 12-10-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Yeah, I know I'm a little behind on my review of this gem. It's still new and sealed and would hate for it to lose its value biggrin.gif. Maybe next Sunday after a 49er victory wink.gif.

Steve,

You are the man wink.gif! Maybe we should do a side bet on the 49ers vs. Pats game. The loser not only has to buy SACD but has to listen to it every day for a month eek.gifbiggrin.gif.

Bill

holt7153 12-10-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Steve,
You are the man wink.gif! Maybe we should do a side bet on the 49ers vs. Pats game. The loser not only has to buy SACD but has to listen to it every day for a month eek.gifbiggrin.gif.
Bill

That kind of torture isn't even allowed at Guantanamo eek.gif.

ti-triodes 12-17-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well I'm currently listening to the Two Against Nature DVD-A and unfortunately it has the "sudden volume increase" issue wink.gif. I started at -15dB and it jumped to -7.5 all on its own eek.gif! Next up is the Everything Must Go DVD-A and I'll have to see if this disc has the same issue. By the way the SQ on this DVD-A is excellent and well worth adding to ones music collection. I have heard the Ricky Martin SACD has the reverse effect where the volume turns down completely and then ones system shuts down all on its own biggrin.gif. I personally have no experience with this SACD but Dan or Steve might wink.gif.
Bill



Bill

Do you remember on which song this happened? I just listened to both DVD-A's and don't remember a volume change. OTOH, at the time I was obsessing on how much I disliked the sound on Everything Must Go compared to Two Against Nature.

Bill Mac 12-17-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Bill
Do you remember on which song this happened? I just listened to both DVD-A's and don't remember a volume change. OTOH, at the time I was obsessing on how much I disliked the sound on Everything Must Go compared to Two Against Nature.

Actually it was a Brian (BGLeduc) that started that and he was only kidding. He was referring to the fact that when Godwhacker was playing the volume jumped up all of the sudden. I thought he was serious at first as well but he wasn't smile.gif.

Bill

himey 12-18-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Bill
Do you remember on which song this happened? I just listened to both DVD-A's and don't remember a volume change. OTOH, at the time I was obsessing on how much I disliked the sound on Everything Must Go compared to Two Against Nature.

In what way?

ti-triodes 12-19-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

In what way?


I thought the sound of EMG sounded dull compared to 2VN, at least on the DVD-A's. I played them both in the same sitting and was surprised, considering the legendary sound quality of both The Dan and Fagen's albums. OTOH, I had a couple of Frozen Margaritas that night and maybe my ears were getting a little dull by that time. biggrin.gif

Bill Mac 12-19-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I thought the sound of EMG sounded dull compared to 2VN, at least on the DVD-A's. I played them both in the same sitting and was surprised, considering the legendary sound quality of both The Dan and Fagen's albums. OTOH, I had a couple of Frozen Margaritas that night and maybe my ears were getting a little dull by that time. biggrin.gif

I'll have to compare these two DVD-As to see if I find the same issue. But it will have to be without the frozen Margaritas wink.gif.

Bill

holt7153 12-19-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

But it will have to be without the frozen Margaritas wink.gif

I knew it-you're an "on the rocks" guy like me smile.gif.

Bill Mac 12-19-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I knew it-you're an "on the rocks" guy like me smile.gif.

Actually the only drinks I do "on the rocks" are non-alcoholic wink.gif. It has greatly improved my driving skills and has reduced the blue lights in my rearview mirror which "back in the day" was becoming a common occurence biggrin.gif.

Bill

ti-triodes 12-19-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Actually the only drinks I do "on the rocks" are non-alcoholic wink.gif. It has greatly improved my driving skills and has reduced the blue lights in my rearview mirror which "back in the day" was becoming a common occurence biggrin.gif.
Bill



LOL. I hear you. That's why I try to keep the drinking at home. We usually do a Friday night movie night with another couple. After they leave and the wife staggers off to bed, it's time to turn up the subwoofer! biggrin.gif

holt7153 12-19-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

It has greatly improved my driving skills and has reduced the blue lights in my rearview mirror which "back in the day" was becoming a common occurence biggrin.gif. Bill

I hear that-especially since the "officer I had to drive I was too drunk to walk" excuse rarely works anymore smile.gif

himey 12-20-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I thought the sound of EMG sounded dull compared to 2VN, at least on the DVD-A's. I played them both in the same sitting and was surprised, considering the legendary sound quality of both The Dan and Fagen's albums. OTOH, I had a couple of Frozen Margaritas that night and maybe my ears were getting a little dull by that time. biggrin.gif

Which one did you listen to after the Frozen Margaritas? That one will sound better!biggrin.gif

ti-triodes 12-21-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Which one did you listen to after the Frozen Margaritas? That one will sound better!biggrin.gif



After the Margaritas, I didn't care which one I was listening to! biggrin.gif

Zen Traveler 08-16-2014 04:22 PM

I think the DVD-A of this album is awesome, as well as all of Steely Dan/Donald Fagen disks I own...I wasn't a fan in the 2-channel era but REALLY like them in the Multichannel format....I remember the first time I heard "Cousin Dupree" and thinking eewwww and then the ending cracked me up. :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.