Steven Wilson band - The raven that refused to sing (and other stories) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 153 Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Yeah, I caught the PT concert here in Atlanta back in '09 (IIRC), and it was so damn loud, my pants flapped around my ankles. I was prepared and had ear-plugs, so no hearing loss from that session. Using my RTA iPhone App, it showed steady >100dB levels and peaks over 118dB! eek.gif

But I much rather hear his recording in my HT, much cleaner sound as well.

yea thats just ridiculous. i kept thinking, 'if they just turned it down to a reasonable level, this would be such a better experience.' I'm going to see sting in a few months so i'll bring my plugs in case of similar sonic assault. they need to fire their sound guy if he's so frigg'n deaf that he's gotta put it to those levels. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 153 Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Agreed. Worst acoustics ever. And if the guy on the mixing board is the same one for the PT concerts, then he lost his hearing a long while back. Even the Warfield, which can be a very good venue for balanced acoustics, was unlistenable with this guy mixing the sound. The Fillmore was drowned out in bass, but the Warfield painfully shattered my eardrums under his control. What was surprising was how stunning the soundboard recording for one of the unlistenable Fillmore PT concerts was. But that's not what I heard from the floor. I recall a more balanced PT concert at the Regency, but that was a rare one where the acoustics were just right. I'm going to pass this one much as I would have liked to catch this tour.
The Warfield show a couple of years ago...I was in the balcony about 15 rows back and dead center. It was the closest I've heard PT to their hi-rez recordings with the added dynamics of live performance. The previous year, I'd seen them from the main floor and moved around. The bass still overwhelmed, but the further back the better the sound. Anyway, I have no problem with loud, but I want a performance as good or better than what I hear at home. The best bands provide that...or they used to. I saw the Genesis reunion tour...one of the best live performance bands I'd ever heard in multiple venues...and I was still disappointed at the San Jose Shark Tank.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #93 of 153 Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I wont' go to another Fillmore show. The room is nearly a cube. I've been to a couple and you can't hear anything. Bass overwhelms. The PT show I saw there a few years ago, had my ears ringing for a week. The Warfield is much better, excellent from the balcony. I've skipped all the SW shows at the Fillmore. I just don't trust they can sound good.

Agreed. Worst acoustics ever. And if the guy on the mixing board is the same one for the PT concerts, then he lost his hearing a long while back. Even the Warfield, which can be a very good venue for balanced acoustics, was unlistenable with this guy mixing the sound. The Fillmore was drowned out in bass, but the Warfield painfully shattered my eardrums under his control. What was surprising was how stunning the soundboard recording for one of the unlistenable Fillmore PT concerts was. But that's not what I heard from the floor. I recall a more balanced PT concert at the Regency, but that was a rare one where the acoustics were just right. I'm going to pass this one much as I would have liked to catch this tour.

Over the weekend I saw The She's/Little Hurricane/The Stone Foxes at the Fillmore. Not great acoustically as that's just the nature of the building, but wasn't too bad, not as bad as I feared after reading your comments; only thought briefly about popping in the earplugs I'd brought. Bass wasn't overwhelming, think the overall sound level was a bit high though. We'll see tomorrow...

post #94 of 153 Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, it was loud. Too loud, I couldn't make it through the whole show. The performance itself was fine but someone's deaf or they think it sounds better at this level but I don't see how, I was bothered by the unpleasant distortion (at least I perceived as such and think it was from being turned up to 11 smile.gif ). It wasn't just the bass, altho I thought there was some bottoming out going on, but also the top end was breaking up a bit. Maybe it's just my aging ears but usually loud isn't an issue. I tried various places, the lobby, bar, each corner, having originally stood pretty much in the middle where it was full blast, but either too little or too much, no happy medium for me.

post #95 of 153 Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yep, it was loud. Too loud, I couldn't make it through the whole show. The performance itself was fine but someone's deaf or they think it sounds better at this level but I don't see how, I was bothered by the unpleasant distortion (at least I perceived as such and think it was from being turned up to 11 smile.gif ). It wasn't just the bass, altho I thought there was some bottoming out going on, but also the top end was breaking up a bit. Maybe it's just my aging ears but usually loud isn't an issue. I tried various places, the lobby, bar, each corner, having originally stood pretty much in the middle where it was full blast, but either too little or too much, no happy medium for me.
Funny, a friend of mine offered me tickets for the show...true to form I refused. Sounds like your show was exactly like the last PT show I saw there. I had earplugs, but using them or not didn't make anything sound better. It just was damaging without them.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #96 of 153 Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 AM

Liked: 17
I just wanted to put it out there that I am selling my Deluxe Edition book. If you're in the market for one of these, be sure to check out mine over on eBay. It's not a plain, ordinary copy so don't get sticker shock.

Sony KDL46XBR2, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A Collection, SACD Collection | Future: Panasonic VIERA TX65AX900 or Toshiba's 65L9400U 4K Ultra HD TV
post #97 of 153 Old 07-20-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

I just wanted to put it out there that I am selling my Deluxe Edition book. If you're in the market for one of these, be sure to check out mine over on eBay. It's not a plain, ordinary copy so don't get sticker shock.

I checked out your ebay listing. I'm surprised you are selling it after all the effort you went through to get the autographs. No offense but I think many artists will not autograph their albums and such as quite often these items end up on ebay.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #98 of 153 Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:

I checked out your ebay listing. I'm surprised you are selling it after all the effort you went through to get the autographs. No offense but I think many artists will not autograph their albums and such as quite often these items end up on ebay.

Bill

When I went to the Steven Wilson show in SF believe they had a place to buy such from them....but I could be mistaken, I'm not interested in signatures except on checks. smile.gif

post #99 of 153 Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill

Aside from a bit of sweat standing outdoors and some nervous moments, it was really more about opportunity and determination than trouble in getting the autographs. No offense taken, but seriously, why would an artist care about whether I kept the book to until the day I die or whether I sell it to another one of their fans? IMO, most celebrities who have concerns about their autographs care only to limit the number they put out in the market so the value of collectible merchandise remains high.

Sony KDL46XBR2, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A Collection, SACD Collection | Future: Panasonic VIERA TX65AX900 or Toshiba's 65L9400U 4K Ultra HD TV
post #100 of 153 Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill

When I went to the Steven Wilson show in SF believe they had a place to buy such from them....but I could be mistaken, I'm not interested in signatures except on checks. smile.gif

You are seriously mistaken. Steven never sold a fully autographed Raven deluxe edition at any show. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were sold out weeks before the North Amercian leg of the tour ever began. But even it were true, the fact is, I am the only one selling one on eBay at the present time. And by "one", I mean a copy signed by the entire band plus Chad Wackerman (which he signed shortly after his very first live performance with the band [after an only 4-5 hour rehearsal]). For that reason, there is no other deluxe edition identical to this one. There are few other things a Wilson/Tree fan can own that can get them any closer to these truly extraordinary musicians. The fact you're not interested in signatures is your business but there are hundred more like me who acquire and collect them just for wanting to own a piece of entertainment history.

post #101 of 153 Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill

You are seriously mistaken. Steven never sold a fully autographed Raven deluxe edition at any show. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were sold out weeks before the North Amercian leg of the tour ever began. But even it were true, the fact is, I am the only one selling one on eBay at the present time. And by "one", I mean a copy signed by the entire band plus Chad Wackerman (which he signed shortly after his very first live performance with the band [after an only 4-5 hour rehearsal]). For that reason, there is no other deluxe edition identical to this one. There are few other things a Wilson/Tree fan can own that can get them any closer to these truly extraordinary musicians. The fact you're not interested in signatures is your business but there are hundred more like me who acquire and collect them just for wanting to own a piece of entertainment history.

Yeah, whatever, good luck in your sales efforts for the signatures. There were some expensive items in their booth and seemed those were with signatures for those who will pay for such for some reason.....

post #102 of 153 Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The fact you're not interested in signatures is your business but there are hundred more like me who acquire and collect them just for wanting to own a piece of entertainment history.

Once again no offense but you are selling the autographed Deluxe Edition box set. So if you were interested in owning "a piece of entertainment history" why are you selling it? As far as I have read artists in general avoid autographing their music because often times it ends up on ebay. In other words many people are not interested in owning "a piece of entertainment history" but making a few bucks.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #103 of 153 Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe he just means owning a piece of entertainment history for a short period of time, maybe even if that means buying it from someone else that may have obtained the signatures on the merchandise (whether bought or begged for). That others might want to pay him a premium for merchandise with such signatures is just a side benefit rolleyes.gif

post #104 of 153 Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The fact you're not interested in signatures is your business but there are hundred more like me who acquire and collect them just for wanting to own a piece of entertainment history.

Once again no offense but you are selling the autographed Deluxe Edition box set. So if you were interested in owning "a piece of entertainment history" why are you selling it? As far as I have read artists in general avoid autographing their music because often times it ends up on ebay. In other words many people are not interested in owning "a piece of entertainment history" but making a few bucks.

Bill

You can't be serious. Just like the V.I.P. packages many bands now offer where you can be pictured with and have autographs taken by its musicians backstage before the show, I was selling it TO MAKE MONEY. The thing I called "a piece of entertainment history" is COMMERCE? Ever heard of it? Just because I desired to sell doesn't change the phrase given it. Seriously, did you just crawl out of a bomb shelter after 50 years? Now, you two can go on ranting about my endeavors to profit from this book, but I'm through with this conversation. I will end it, however, by notifying you that I had a change of heart (not on account of anything you wrote) and decided not to sell it for now. Of course, you never know when I might change my mind back. wink.gif

post #105 of 153 Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can't be serious. Just like the V.I.P. packages many bands now offer where you can be pictured with and have autographs taken by its musicians backstage before the show, I was selling it TO MAKE MONEY. The thing I called "a piece of entertainment history" is COMMERCE? Ever heard of it? Just because I desired to sell doesn't change the phrase given it. Seriously, did you just crawl out of a bomb shelter after 50 years? Now, you two can go on ranting about my endeavors to profit from this book, but I'm through with this conversation. I will end it, however, by notifying you that I had a change of heart (not on account of anything you wrote) and decided not to sell it for now. Of course, you never know when I might change my mind back. wink.gif

No I didn't just crawl out of bomb shelter after 50 years biggrin.gif. But I certainly know the difference between getting autographs for no cost and those that pay huge money for V.I.P. packages wink.gif. So your example doesn't hold a drop of water as the artist or charity is getting some form of compensation for those autographs. Yes, I'm well aware of what COMMERCE is smile.gif. When someone gets autographs such as you did the artist doesn't get a penny. To be honest I have no problem at all if you sell the Deluxe box set for whatever you can get for it. But when you say you got the autographs to "own a piece of entertainment history" then put the box set on ebay one kind of wonders wink.gif.

Bill

post #106 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Anybody else thinking this translates into "nobody bought it?"
post #107 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Quote:

Anybody else thinking this translates into "nobody bought it?"

Why would they? I pulled the book a day after listing it. What is your problem Jimmy?

post #108 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Why would they? I pulled the book a day after listing it. What is your problem Jimmy?

I just dislike profiteers; people like you are the reason most OOP dvd-a's and sacd's are so ridiculously priced. And people who use forums like these to hawk their over-priced memorabilia (I've seen you post about your "sale" on at least 2 other forums). Oh yeah- dislike smart asses who use my name derogatorily too- rather childish imo.
post #109 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just dislike profiteers; people like you are the reasons most OOP dvd-a's and sacd's are so ridiculously priced. And people who use forums like these to hawk their over-priced memorabilia (I've seen you post about your "sale" on at least 2 other forums). Oh yeah- dislike smart asses who use my name derogatorily too- rather childish imo.

Profiteer? Forgive me for wanting to make money! Who can blame me for wanting to make a profit off a copy of this sold out Deluxe Edition autographed by Steven's entire band?!?! And in that vein, why shouldn't I engage in a little external marketing? If you don't like it, ignore it. Heck, last I looked this forum didn't exclude fans "hawking" their copies to others who might want it! Also, how is selling my book similar to others selling out-of-print near defunct media like SACD or DVD-A? If you own a copy of Fleetwood Mac Rumors on DVD-A and are interested in earning a profit in order to, say, upgrade your speaker wiring, are you going to sell it for what you paid retail 10 years ago?!? I'm mean give me a break!

post #110 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Who can blame me for wanting to make a profit off a copy of this sold out Deluxe Edition autographed by Steven's entire band?!?!

Your first post in this thread was a bump to announce your eBay listing, but this is an album discussion and not Craigslist.

Has the band lifted their restraining order yet? biggrin.gif

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #111 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just dislike profiteers; people like you are the reasons most OOP dvd-a's and sacd's are so ridiculously priced. And people who use forums like these to hawk their over-priced memorabilia (I've seen you post about your "sale" on at least 2 other forums). Oh yeah- dislike smart asses who use my name derogatorily too- rather childish imo.

Profiteer? Forgive me for wanting to make money! Who can blame me for wanting to make a profit off a copy of this sold out Deluxe Edition autographed by Steven's entire band?!?! And in that vein, why shouldn't I engage in a little external marketing? If you don't like it, ignore it. Heck, last I looked this forum didn't exclude fans "hawking" their copies to others who might want it! Also, how is selling my book similar to others selling out-of-print near defunct media like SACD or DVD-A? If you own a copy of Fleetwood Mac Rumors on DVD-A and are interested in earning a profit in order to, say, upgrade your speaker wiring, are you going to sell it for what you paid retail 10 years ago?!? I'm mean give me a break!

You can make money, but do it elsewhere. There are specific places for selling goods on the forums...the classifieds. Maybe a relevant post about something you happen to have in the classifieds would be tolerable, but just to come here with this alone is not acceptable. You are simply annoying. Hopefully you will spend your profits on something as stupid as magic speaker wire....

post #112 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Quote:

Who can blame me for wanting to make a profit off a copy of this sold out Deluxe Edition autographed by Steven's entire band?!?!

Your first post in this thread was a bump to announce your eBay listing, but this is an album discussion and not Craigslist.

Has the band lifted their restraining order yet? biggrin.gif

I posted a link to my eBay listing for the Deluxe Edition of THE ALBUM (and a damn unique one at that) in a thread about the album. One link . . . that is until a couple members decided that a uncommon foray by me into selling music memorabilia was an all out offense against some unspoken code of conduct. Seriously people, why can't you all just get over it. Let's move on. Oh, for the record, I voluntarily removed the listing after one day. But don't worry, it will be back . . . and even better than ever. wink.gif

post #113 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Heck, last I looked this forum didn't exclude fans "hawking" their copies to others who might want it!

You are wrong. If you wish to advertise to sell any item or component it should be done in the classifieds section. To have access to the classifieds I believe one has to be a member of the AVS Club. This thread and sub forum are not for selling music or components. If you think that is incorrect contact one of the Mods.
Quote:

Seriously people, why can't you all just get over it. Let's move on.

I think everyone would be glad "get over it" and "move on". But you keep bringing the subject back up. Maybe it is you that should "get over it" wink.gif.

Bill

post #114 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You can make money, but do it elsewhere. There are specific places for selling goods on the forums...the classifieds. Maybe a relevant post about something you happen to have in the classifieds would be tolerable, but just to come here with this alone is not acceptable. You are simply annoying. Hopefully you will spend your profits on something as stupid as magic speaker wire....

Now I respect the first part of your opinion, but the only thing annoying in this thread is the fact that several members can't seem to ignore a post that perhaps doesn't benefit them. No, I will not spend the profit on speaker wire. That was an analogy. If you really must know, I had intended to use it towards purchasing the forthcoming XMC-1 Pre/Pro. Anyone else want to pile on and extend this painful discussion further or perhaps one of you profiteering critics actually has something to say about The Raven That Refused To Sing?

post #115 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heck, last I looked this forum didn't exclude fans "hawking" their copies to others who might want it!

You are wrong. If you wish to advertise to sell any item or component it should be done in the classifieds section. To have access to the classifieds I believe one has to be a member of the AVS Club. This thread and sub forum are not for selling music or components. If you think that is incorrect contact one of the Mods.

Bill

That might be, but all I did was post a link to an eBay listing for the album that is the subject of the thread. If doing so violated a rule, then lesson learned. It won't be repeated. But attacking my motives and disseminating disinformation (not you) isn't the best way of telling me.

post #116 of 153 Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now I respect the first part of your opinion, but the only thing annoying in this thread is the fact that several members can't seem to ignore a post that perhaps doesn't benefit them. No, I will not spend the profit on speaker wire. That was an analogy. If you really must know, I had intended to use it towards purchasing the forthcoming XMC-1 Pre/Pro. Anyone else want to pile on and extend this painful discussion further or perhaps one of you profiteering critics actually has something to say about The Raven That Refused To Sing?

Oh, trust me, you're annoying, especially defending your faux pas in promoting your "business". You have recommended such silly cable in the past, too. "I recommend Silver Serpent Anniversary Edition Audio Interconnect Cables from Better Cables. A 1/2 meter costs $29.98 + free shipping."

post #117 of 153 Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Oh, trust me, you're annoying, especially defending your faux pas in promoting your "business". You have recommended such silly cable in the past, too. "I recommend Silver Serpent Anniversary Edition Audio Interconnect Cables from Better Cables. A 1/2 meter costs $29.98 + free shipping."

Well, now you've joined the team of disinformation. First of all, that was a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive interconnect I happen to use. While I own several, I do not have anything to do with Better Cables, Inc. I also do not sell A/V gear though I might have sold a bookshelf speaker once or twice in the past. As a matter of fact, I actually do not sell very often on eBay at all and when I do, it's mostly videos. Don't you have anything better to do than troll through my old post on AVS to start up yet another unnecessary string of meaningless diatribe? I think your contributions to this boring conversation really show who's the annoying one here.

Alright, here's the first salvo to get the discussion about this album back on track. Has anyone heard of the website Any Decent Music? They have this nifty thing they call "the recent releases chart". It brings together and ranks critical reaction to new albums from more than 50 publications from around the world and is updated daily. Because it's more than 6 weeks since its release, The Raven is listed on the "longer timespan chart". Pretty cool.

post #118 of 153 Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

That's not a relatively inexpensive interconnect, it's very overpriced at $60/m. Who said anything about you having to do anything with Better Cables or selling a/v gear? It was a silly recommendation. But then you expect people to pay you for annoying the musicians....I'm on break and find you amusing....

post #119 of 153 Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM

I think I like you better amused than annoyed. I believe I bought the 6" interconnects on sale at their website for somewhere in the neighborhood of $29 a pair. Relatively speaking, it seemed like a good deal at the time for cable with silver coated conductors. To each his own I suppose.

The rest of your post is way off base and flat out wrong. What I was selling absolutely did not come from annoyed musicians. Didn't you read my detailed description on the listing? Steven held an in-store signing! He advertised his availability, to do what, SIGN! And to Steven's credit, he signed for a good 2+ hours. The line darn near wrapped around the block beginning at the doors of Daddy Cool Records where Steven stood behind a counter signing everything from CD'S to posters to bras! While he might have gotten a bit exhausted towards the end (not for me though . . . I was fourth in line), Wilson, to his credit, stayed for every last fan. So, no annoyance there. As for most of the rest of the band, let me tell you something, Theo, Adam and Guthrie were as kind as could be when approached. Heck, Adam even went back inside to get Theo out for me and when he arrived, he happily signed whatever was handed him and went on to converse with us for a good 10 minutes or so. Annoyed? No. When I approached Nick, he seemed a tad bit annoyed but politely signed my book. I think his mood had more to do with something going on inside than getting briefly stopped on this path from the bus into the rear entrance. So, paying for annoyance? No. Paying for endorsements of greatness? Y-E-S! That is what I was selling. wink.gif

post #120 of 153 Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm certainly not a Mod but wouldn't this off topic discussion be better off being discussed offline via PM?

Bill

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page