Steven Wilson band - The raven that refused to sing (and other stories) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #151 of 168 Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So what is Steven stepping on up on stage to change the sound of his guitar? Here is a really interesting video of an interview just posted by TC Electronic in which he demonstrates his G-System effects and sounds pedal board. If you watch closely, he reveals the sound of a "new song". Cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 168 Old 02-22-2014, 03:51 AM

New album coming this year. http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/the-raven-anniversary-update-from-steven-wilson/
post #153 of 168 Old 02-22-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I may have overlooked this on the web site but Is the flac download multichannel?
post #154 of 168 Old 10-05-2014, 03:47 AM

My prediction above was a bit premature. Steven has announced that his new yet untitled album will be arriving in February 2015. It will feature all the same musicians from The Raven but much less of Theo. Steven says in the YouTube video below that there will be less jazz and 70's influences but that the sound will span most of his career. There are some good sound bytes including one of a "pop" influenced song that might be on the new album.

thehun likes this.
post #155 of 168 Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
My prediction above was a bit premature. Steven has announced that his new yet untitled album will be arriving in February 2015. It will feature all the same musicians from The Raven but much less of Theo. Steven says in the YouTube video below that there will be less jazz and 70's influences but that the sound will span most of his career. There are some good sound bytes including one of a "pop" influenced song that might be on the new album.

http://youtu.be/dlHxl5Q3pIA
^^^^

Thanks for posting this, really exciting!
post #156 of 168 Old 10-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

http://youtu.be/dlHxl5Q3pIA
Thanks very much for this information. I had no idea Guthrie Govan and Steven Wilson were/are working together, and the thought of such a collaboration has me looking forward to this upcoming release even more.
post #157 of 168 Old 10-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexomega View Post
Thanks very much for this information. I had no idea Guthrie Govan and Steven Wilson were/are working together, and the thought of such a collaboration has me looking forward to this upcoming release even more.
Can't tell from your post whether you have "The Raven That Refused to Sing" or not - but if you don't and you are a Govan fan, it is a must-have. Especially the extended legato (with a sustainiac) solo on "Drive Home."
marcuslaw and hexomega like this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #158 of 168 Old 10-06-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sounds like Steven has been listening to Yes.
post #159 of 168 Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Can't tell from your post whether you have "The Raven That Refused to Sing" or not - but if you don't and you are a Govan fan, it is a must-have. Especially the extended legato (with a sustainiac) solo on "Drive Home."
I am a Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree fan primarily, but was recently introduced to Govan by a guitar-playing friend and was blown away by his "Erotic Cakes" album (Waves, Fives, Sevens, and Slidey Boy being favorites...). "The Raven..." in both CD and Blu-Ray form is in my Amazon shopping cart with Edge of Tomorrow as I write this. Thank you as well for the information!
post #160 of 168 Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
I am a Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree fan primarily, but was recently introduced to Govan by a guitar-playing friend and was blown away by his "Erotic Cakes" album (Waves, Fives, Sevens, and Slidey Boy being favorites...). "The Raven..." in both CD and Blu-Ray form is in my Amazon shopping cart with Edge of Tomorrow as I write this. Thank you as well for the information!
I haven't heard "Erotic Cakes" but I have The Aristocrats S/T disc, which is a little out there but pretty cool. Here's a one of my favorites from that disc.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #161 of 168 Old 10-07-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Return the Blu-ray. I am a strong proponent for the Deluxe Edition in order to achieve the complete experience. It's long OOP but there are still several for sale over at that auction site. Now for the shameless plug: PM me if you're interested in one signed by the entire band + Alan Parsons (truly a one-of-a-kind). It is not for sale over at that site.

P.S. AP's signature added on the left inside cover after attached signature pic was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7218.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	298546   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW signing.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	298554   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW & marcuslaw.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	298562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raven 1.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	298570  
post #162 of 168 Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I haven't heard "Erotic Cakes" but I have The Aristocrats S/T disc, which is a little out there but pretty cool. Here's a one of my favorites from that disc.
The Aristocrats is an excellent suggestion for a Guthrie Govan fan. They also have an excellent DVD out name Bong,We’ll Do It Live (mixed by Steven Wilson). You will get to see Govan play remarkable guitar.

Last edited by Media Hostage; 10-07-2014 at 04:21 AM.
post #163 of 168 Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Hostage View Post
The Aristocrats is an excellent suggestion for a Guthrie Govan fan. They also have an excellent DVD out name Bong,We’ll Do It Live (mixed by Steven Wilson). You will get to see Govan play remarkable guitar.
I was fortunate to see them live on SW's last tour. I really enjoyed that show.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #164 of 168 Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Wow that was a real treat!
post #165 of 168 Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLXpEt42W-8
"Culture Clash" is insanely good...but sadly not in surround nor is SW involved, so I suppose it is a tad off-topic....sigh.
holt7153 likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #166 of 168 Old 10-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
"Culture Clash" is insanely good...but sadly not in surround nor is SW involved, so I suppose it is a tad off-topic....sigh.

Yes, +1, insanely good!

It is my understanding soon they are going to debut new material live, then go into the studio and record it. Sorry, last off topic comment…..
holt7153 likes this.
post #167 of 168 Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLXpEt42W-8
Nice, it sounds a lot like Al Di Meola in his early years, which is a good thing IMO.
holt7153 likes this.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #168 of 168 Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Raven on multichannel Blu-ray is my go-to disc for surround format demos. It's easily the best sounding 5.1 audio I own.

Makes me look forward to what SW does with Songs from the Big Chair (Nov 11)!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page