Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVR-2809CI
Oppo DV-983H

Currently using HDMI audio, verified input configurations per Denon and Oppo manuals.

When I play some DTS source discs the DTS indicator lights on the Oppo and on the Denon both DTS and Dig lights com, the input and output speaker config changes as appropriate and the Denon display announces DTS SURROUND. Examples are: Diskwasher Home Theater Setup disc - silver edition and Digital Video Essentials.

However, I just purchased the remixed version of the Emerson Lake & Palmer album, which has a DVD Audio disc with DTS 5.1 Digital Surround mixes. When I select those tracks the DTS symbol on the Oppo lights up. But on the Denon the speaker config diagrams change appropriately, but I only get the "Dig" indicator and the display only says MULTI CH DIRECT.

As far as I can tell from the Oppo menus the Oppo "sees" the audio on the discs the same way, but for some reason the Denon is not responding the same way.

The multi-channel mixes sound good, but I can't tell if the Denon is giving me the proper decoding.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It appears the Oppo is doing the decoding on that disc and sending PCM rather than the DTS bitstream. Is it really a DVD-Audio disc, which is a high resolution format not unlike TrueHD? The DVD-Audio tracks are separate from the DTS ones that are included on the DVD Video portion of the disc for use on equipment that cannot decode DVD-Audio.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

It is really a DVD-A disc, starts with a splash screen that says "Sony Audio." The audio setup menu gives me three choices:
Advanced Resolution Surround
Advanced Resolution Stereo
DTS 5.1 Digital Surround

The track list for the Adv Resolution Surround and DTS 5.1 are the same. According to the reviews of the album these are the same surround remixes, just in different formats.

I'm thinking that you may be correct. The Oppo is sending the highest surround quality to the receiver, regardless of which selection I make in the menu. But it indicates that it's "seeing" a DTS signal -- I wonder if it would be decoding and transmitting as PCM, when it could just pass through the DTS signal. It does it with the other DTS sources. Maybe it's the way the disc is structured? They are the same songs, same mixes.

BTW, when I play this on a different system on a DVD player that can't play the high resolution surround mixes the audio setup onscreen menu only gives the 5.1 DTS option and all the lights and indicators show DTS on the receiver.

Still not quite making sense yet. Probably just time to enjoy the mixes.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What happens if you select Advanced Resolution Stereo? Do you get a two channel output?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes -- I see two channels on the input side of the Denon display and the text of the display says: "DVD Stereo" as I would expect.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

That suggests the Oppo is sending the high res tracks, not the DTS version. I'd guess that the player is doing the decoding and sending PCM to the Denon.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That suggests the Oppo is sending the high res tracks, not the DTS version. I'd guess that the player is doing the decoding and sending PCM to the Denon.

Just to add: His Denon will not accept/decode MLP audio so the decoding MUST be done in the Oppo and sent as LPCM. Also to the OP: Why would you want to play the lossy DTS track when you have a HD high resolution DVD-A track available?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Also to the OP: Why would you want to play the lossy DTS track when you have a HD high resolution DVD-A track available?

Exactly what I was thinking too when I read this thread. Well it doesn't hurt to verify/satisfy yourself they are the same mix, or the high res sounds 'better'. biggrin.gif

Since there's only a 2ch high res track but no 2ch lossy dts track, the fact that the player is decoding the former does not prove it's also decoding the MCH high res track instead of dts.

If the high res. track has a higher sample rate than dts, then the Denon can show you which one it is.

If you insist on listening to the dts, then you can always go back to using SPDIF.

I still think it's something basic, like player's setting that's causing it, or player's idiosyncrasy (try the disc on another universal player...), one of those things. I never heard of a disc that changes or dictates how a player output audio (PCM or bitstream).

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page