• 1 Post By yanknuck
  • 1 Post By BAMAVADER

post #1 of 29 Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 486
I just came across this thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum discussing the upcoming release of Roger Waters Amused to Death on SACD. Hopefully it will be in 5.1 as James Guthrie who did the Pink Floyd DSOTM and WYWH SACDs is doing this one as well. I for one will look forward to the release of this SACD smile.gif!

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/analogue-productions-reissue-roger-waters-amused-death

Analogue Productions will soon reissue on double LP and SACD Roger Waters' epic, didactic Amused to Death, first released in 1992 in a very limited double LP edition. Anyone looking to purchase an original of the very limited first release could not have been amused by the going price of $300+ last time I checked.

The reissue, cut from the master tapes, will be overseen by engineer James Guthrie who was there for the original release. Hopefully the reissue will reprise the Q Sound processing that puts instruments next door, behind you, across the street, etc.

To state the obvious: Waters preoccupations in the lyrics are the most obvious adolescent musings stated with a super heavy lyrical hand, but the music and production counter well the blunt trauma wordplay and the sound is wicked pissa!

Bill
Djoel and unavol like this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ahhh, this would be wonderful if released in 5.1. Looking at the Analogue Productions website and catalog, I did a search for SACD, and every title on the first page of results was a MCH SACD. So my hopes are very high that AtD will be 5.1. (Unlike the recent Yes CTTE re-release on SACD that is 2-ch).

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Ahhh, this would be wonderful if released in 5.1. Looking at the Analogue Productions website and catalog, I did a search for SACD, and every title on the first page of results was a MCH SACD. So my hopes are very high that AtD will be 5.1. (Unlike the recent Yes CTTE re-release on SACD that is 2-ch).

shinksma

I really believe that the Amused to Death SACD will be in 5.1 and of course stereo. I'm not 100% positive but I do not believe any of the SACDs that were released by Audio Fidelity are multichannel. So I believe that is why the CTTE SACD (from Audio Fidelity) is stereo only.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I really believe that the Amused to Death SACD will be in 5.1 and of course stereo. I'm not 100% positive but I do not believe any of the SACDs that were released by Audio Fidelity are multichannel. So I believe that is why the CTTE SACD (from Audio Fidelity) is stereo only.

Bill

I'm still debating on whether or not to get the Rush Counterparts SACD, because it is only two channel or just get a copy of the Remaster for $10 and call it a day.

Cliff
post #5 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I really believe that the Amused to Death SACD will be in 5.1 and of course stereo.

I hope you are right, but I suspect it will end up being 2-ch only. Just cannot imagine there is a big enough market for this re-release to justify efforts to remix in surround. Regardless, I will get it. Only RW solo disc worth owning IMO.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #6 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I like all his solo disc's.....I hope this will be in 5.1 and stereo too. I have both cd versions and the sound quality is already outstanding for cd.......so I hope the sacd will be better. This is one of my favorite albums of all time.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I am also hoping that the genie-voice will be corrected in Three Wishes - apparently the original vinyl release had the correct deep "awesome" mix, but the CD somehow got something wrong and it does not have the same impact [citation need]. At least, that sticks in my mind as something Roger was a bit unhappy about with the original CD release.

Anyone have a link to back up my fuzzy memory? My Google-fu found nothing useful.

shinksma

post #8 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
It looks like it will be stereo only with a projected release date in October.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/89110/Roger_Waters-Amused_To_Death-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
post #9 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

It looks like it will be stereo only with a projected release date in October.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/89110/Roger_Waters-Amused_To_Death-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Good find! Thats too bad it won't be 5.1 but I'm on it either way. I don't ever recall seeing a title with a possible release date that far out.

Here is an interesting excerpt from Acoustic Sounds listing:

Amused To Death was originally mixed using QSound, a virtual surround sound, enhancing the spatial feel of the music along with the various sound effects sprinkled throughout the album. The Analogue Productions' reissue will faithfully preserve this three-dimensional experience.

Bill

post #10 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Analogue Productions won't spend a penny to finance ANY multi-channel anything.

I love Chad Kasem for what he is doing but he is a 2-channel bigot.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #11 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Analogue Productions won't spend a penny to finance ANY multi-channel anything.

I love Chad Kasem for what he is doing but he is a 2-channel bigot.

What about the Nat King Cole SACDs? Most of the NKC SACDs have stereo, 3 CH MCH and mono layers. I would say it that cost quite a bit to produce the NKC SACDs. Also Pink Floyd's WYWH SACD is 5.1 and is an APO SACD as well. Although I'm not sure if APO paid the production costs for the WYWH SACD.

Bill

post #12 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Meh. Only 2CH. That's annoying, given they had a ripe opportunity to create and release a 5.1 mix.

shinksma

post #13 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bill,
Sorry I didn't see this thread you started about this, I posted in the Hi-Res thread earlier, glad to see you had already heard about this release smile.gif
David
post #14 of 29 Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 99
post #15 of 29 Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about the Nat King Cole SACDs? Most of the NKC SACDs have stereo, 3 CH MCH and mono layers. I would say it that cost quite a bit to produce the NKC SACDs. Also Pink Floyd's WYWH SACD is 5.1 and is an APO SACD as well. Although I'm not sure if APO paid the production costs for the WYWH SACD.

Bill
Hi Bill.
For WYWH as far as I read from reliable sources, AP was just the distributor for just the SACD.
I thought only a couple of the NKC were 3-channel, in any event AP has stated that their focus is on the original master tapes and re-doing them only in their native form.
Hence, the Dave Brubeck Time Out is a remaster of only the 2 channel master, they included the earlier 5.1 remix as a bonus and since it was already done.
No AP resources were spent for the 5.1.
Same for The Doors SACDs, only the 2-channel is new, the 5.1 is the same as the earlier DVD-A release.

I'm not knocking AP far from it, they're almost single-handedly keeping popular and jazz hi-rez re-issues alive but their real focus is on vinyl(duh) and 2-channel.

Now if Steven Wilson(digital mch) and Chad Kassem(analog 2-channel) could form a holy alliance it would be a lot of music lover's dream come true.
Mine for sure.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #16 of 29 Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Hi Bill.
For WYWH as far as I read from reliable sources, AP was just the distributor for just the SACD.
I thought only a couple of the NKC were 3-channel, in any event AP has stated that their focus is on the original master tapes and re-doing them only in their native form.
Hence, the Dave Brubeck Time Out is a remaster of only the 2 channel master, they included the earlier 5.1 remix as a bonus and since it was already done.
No AP resources were spent for the 5.1.
Same for The Doors SACDs, only the 2-channel is new, the 5.1 is the same as the earlier DVD-A release.

I'm not knocking AP far from it, they're almost single-handedly keeping popular and jazz hi-rez re-issues alive but their real focus is on vinyl(duh) and 2-channel.

Now if Steven Wilson(digital mch) and Chad Kassem(analog 2-channel) could form a holy alliance it would be a lot of music lover's dream come true.
Mine for sure.

Hey Milt,

I'm sure AP would like to offer MCH titles but as you point out the costs are quite steep for a small company like AP. I'm just glad that AP seems to be keeping a good flow of SACDs coming in different genres smile.gif.

Bill

post #17 of 29 Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Will definitely be buying, however I wish it wouldn't have even been announced yet the wait will now seem forever.

post #18 of 29 Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Excellent news.........this AP disc will have 5.1 (per Stereophile) and there was a listening session at Princeton in the last week or two and it sounds great. I have this on pre order at amazon.ca.........hope it comes out soon !!

http://www.stereophile.com/content/roger-waters-51-0

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/record-score-day-princeton-record-exchange
post #19 of 29 Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
The Acoustic Sounds site also lists it as 5.1. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing this one in surround. Anyone know if there will be a bluray-audio release? Thanks for the head's up on this one Bill!

There's nothing to see here.

post #20 of 29 Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd rather have Animals on SACD 5.1
ATD never really did a whole lot for me. I think I've played it less than 10 times. Maybe I need to listen again.
Modicen likes this.

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #21 of 29 Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

I'd rather have Animals on SACD 5.1
ATD never really did a whole lot for me.

Agreed...PACOH much better IMO...

<><

RTR
post #22 of 29 Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 99
We all would like Animals, but Amused To Death only requires Waters' approval. Getting anything approved by all of the interests in Pink Floyd is much more difficult.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

We all would like Animals, but Amused To Death only requires Waters' approval. Getting anything approved by all of the interests in Pink Floyd is much more difficult.

Then release Pros & Cons then...
Modicen likes this.

<><

RTR
post #24 of 29 Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

For me Animals is among the least desirable Floyd album for remaster\5.1.
Much rather have Meddle, More, The Wall, Piper.

I've never heard Amused to Death so I'm happy to have it smile.gif

post #25 of 29 Old 05-07-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 64
To anyone who's interested. Earlier this year there was an interview with Roger Waters on the BBC News channel... Some of you might find it revealing what he has to say about Amused to Death.

The point of interest commences at 22mins 12secs. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2LpfJizUk

Cheers all

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #26 of 29 Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I'd love every Floyd related album in multichannel, but I think I'd choose Amused To Death over any of them except DSOTM, WYWH, and the Wall. Jeff Beck and Roger Waters together was a phenomenal combo IMO.

There's nothing to see here.

post #27 of 29 Old 06-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

The release date is shown as September 23, 2014..........I was hoping it would be sooner. Hopefully no further delay and it finally is released.

http://analogueproductions.com/index.cfm?do=detail&Title_ID=89110
post #28 of 29 Old 09-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hmmm
My Amazon preorder still notes, "A release date has not yet been set for this title." I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up that I'll be seeing this anytime soon. Does anyone know any different?
post #29 of 29 Old 09-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anybody have a date for release? Any new info?
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page