Need help with DTS decoding issue... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ok... finally bit the bullet & replaced my 13 year old JVC 36" CRT in the living room. Replaced it with a 70" Vizio. Also replaced my old Toshiba DVD player with a Panasonic DMP-BD875 blu-ray player. The Panasonic has only HDMI and analog outputs. My surround system is powered by a Technics SA-AX7 receiver with the SH-AC500D processor... no HDMI inputs. Since the blu-ray player has only HDMI and analog outputs, I had no direct connection to my surround processor... so I ran the HDMI out to the Vizio, then ran an optical/toslink cable from the Vizio to my surround processor. The blu-ray player is set up to downmix dolby digital True HD to dolby digital, and DTS-HD to DTS. I get full digital surround on dolby-encoded movies, but no DTS. I'm surprised at how many movies are DTS-HD only. Watching Avatar, the only way I could get digital surround was to watch the "family friendly" version.

I see two possible solutions...

Solution #1: return the Panasonic blu-ray & get something else that has an HDMI, AND an optical or coax digital output that I can run directly to my surround processor

Solution #2: replace my receiver/processor with an updated theater receiver... something along the lines of a Sony STR-DN1030

would welcome any input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Get a new receiver.

The Hun
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Without a doubt go with Solution #2. I'm not familiar with Sony AVRs but I would also suggest looking at Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha AVRs.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yep. Replacing the receiver is a no-brainer. Trying to use a modern TV as a receiver by sending your source signals there and then trying to distribute them elsewhere, like to a receiver for audio, is a recipe for giving yourself headaches every time you fire up the system. Spend the $300-400 and get a modern AVR and send all your source signals there first.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
well... the problem's been solved for the time being. Took back the Panny blu-ray & got a Sony with both optical and coax digital outputs. Surprised me that the tv will pass a dolby digital encoded material, but not a DTS. Still looking to upgrade the receiver... missed out on the sale for the Sony STR-DN1030. Onkyo's tempting, tho have read lots of problems with the 616. Marantz is also tempting, tho haven't looked into it that thoroughly yet. Thanks all, for the input.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page