Dvd-Audio and Pioneer DV-610av - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Pioneer DV-610av to play the Beatles' Love DVD-Audio. It sounds terrible! In fact, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the CD version of the album. The volume is half as loud and the treble, mids and lows all sound bland.

Is this normal for a DVD-Audio disk playing in 2-channel? Could it be the player itself or the disk? I'm new to the format, and i may be returning the unit, so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 18
flipperman, dvd audio is multichannel so you have to connect your player using the six analog inputs of your of your receiver or HDMI input otherwise you won't be getting all the channels of that particular DVDA.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i listen to the 5.1 audio track and it sounds great. It really depends on your complete setup and how you have it connected.
What receiver do you have, does your receiver decode SACD/DVD-A through hdmi, are you using the multichannel input on the receiver?

post #4 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 PM

Liked: 17
You have to run the HOME MENU on the player to check all the settings. Use the manual to guide you through the choices. If you bought the player second hand and the manual is missing, run a Google search for it and download it.
Next, when you insert the disc, choose the advanced resolution stereo track in the disc menu (I suppose you listen in stereo as you mention it in your original post). I have a DV-600AV and both stereo and multichannel DVD-Audio playback are amazingly clear and dynamic.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! i'll give it a try. smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 PM

Liked: 17
You should especially pay attention to the Downmix settings in the Home Menu of the player. I have the Beatles DVD-A and although I always listen to it in the 5.1 MLP format, I find it sounds extremely good. I will try the advanced stereo track as well to check.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp2600 View Post

You should especially pay attention to the Downmix settings in the Home Menu of the player. I have the Beatles DVD-A and although I always listen to it in the 5.1 MLP format, I find it sounds extremely good. I will try the advanced stereo track as well to check.

Not sure if the DVD-A has its own stereo mix. My copy came with a CD and DVD-A disc, but my DVD-A version only has the multichannel mix. I could see how a stereo downmix of the surround mix could sound weird since there's so much going on in all 5 channels.

FWIW, I've played the DVD-A in surround on the same Pioneer player and it sounds great.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 15
Yeah, Love @96/24 is superb on this player.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone. I discovered the fix on my own. On my player, there is a an option under the audio set-up menu called "virtual 5.1". It's a bit of a misnomer, because what the player actually does is convert the output from 5.1 to 2-channel audio. I guess Pioneer thought it was clearly implied that, if you're not using 5.1, then you have a 2-channel set-up.

thanks again for all the thoughts. On, and yes, the LOVE DVD-A sounds GREAT! Part of the reason is because it's in 24/96, but the CD version sounds great, too. I've read that this is because Giles and George Martin used the original unmixed tapes (i.e., the original bass track by itself, the drum track by itself, etc.), rather than the mixed master. Because of the limits of the 4-track system they used in the 60's, the master tape was essentially a 3rd or 4th generation copy of each unmixed track, with all the associated loss in quality. Listen to the re-mixed Yellow Submarine CD released in 1999-2000, and compare it with the 2009 remasters. At least on my system, Yellow Submarine, like LOVE, sounds vibrant and explosive. I hope, someday, they release all the Beatles albums remixed without the copy of a copy of a copy loss of the remasters. cheers
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page