PLiiz Channel level and demo scenes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just put up and wired my two front height speakers.
I ran the audessy setup which gave me these results.

FL: -7db
FHL: -5db
C: -7.5db
FR: -7db
FHR: -5db

After playing around with a few scenes I couldn't really notice the two height speakers.

I just wondered what channel levels everyone who has front height spekers uses?
How much louder than the regular LCR Speakers?

Also what are some good scenes to help me notice the extra channels?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 787
When I ran heights in my set up the effect was subtle. However when I turned them off it was noticeable that they were missing, my front sound stage collapsed for lack of a better word...not that it was bad without them just not as "big" sounding. When they were on I mostly couldn't tell that they were on, and I often times had to double and triple check that they were indeed active.

I've read posts on these forums stating that the heights are only good for sound effects that should be coming from above you, and while it did add to certain scenes with overhead sound, they also created a large sound stage and music scores, sound effects overall were both enhanced by the heights...not just overhead directional effects. But if I didnt tell you they were on you probably wouldnt guess that they were on until I turned them off.

You can try out action/sci-fi blu-rays. Transformers and Star Trek 2009 both come to mind.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #3 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply?
Do you know how loud your heights are?

Do my settings look right? or should i make them a little louder?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Does anyone use Height speakers for multichannel music?

I just purchased an AVR-4311ci and am trying Height Speakers, but after auditioning some favorites, don't think I like it as much as Direct Mode...That said, I think I also like the way my older Denon AVR-4806 converted this material to 7.1 using the rears than I do any setting on this new AVR.

I'll give it a few days, but...
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicRGH View Post

Thanks for the reply?
Do you know how loud your heights are?

Do my settings look right? or should i make them a little louder?
No one can look at your levels and make any meaningful diagnoses. Also asking for others levels will offer no insight into your best settings since there are too many variables. Your best bet is just to up 1db and listen then repeat until YOU are satisfied.

I had a pair of heights (since removed) and in music there was little to no effect. What little there was also was a negative to me (sometimes sounded disconnected/disjointed or less "tight") IMO. The only time I notice much (positive) effect was watching a move. Some effects like rain or an overhead plane would sound a little higher (although it may have been partial placebo). In voice panning the hight would sometimes change making for an unnatural effect.

IMO the effects were so subtle and at times negative that I removed and use the amp/speakers for other duty.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

...I had a pair of heights (since removed) and in music there was little to no effect. What little there was also was a negative to me (sometimes sounded disconnected/disjointed or less "tight") IMO. The only time I notice much (positive) effect was watching a move. Some effects like rain or an overhead plane would sound a little higher (although it may have been partial placebo). In voice panning the hight would sometimes change making for an unnatural effect.

IMO the effects were so subtle and at times negative that I removed and use the amp/speakers for other duty.

Thanks for responding and I somewhat thread-jacked to keep it On-Topic for the forum. smile.gif I've watched several movies over the last week and so far am coming to the same conclusion.

I also listened to two of my 'Go to' Multichannel Music tracks last night and found that the Talking Heads remix of Burning Down the House (Speaking in Tongues) sounded good using the Height Channel but Dire Straits, Ride Across the River (Brother in Arms) sounded way too chaotic when the crickets start chirping and sounded unnatural...Interesting.

{Note: The latter song really fills my room without using the Heights and actually seems like they are engaged, when they weren't.}

Anyone else?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 AM

Liked: 17
I have Pioneer BS22's hooked up and hanging near the top of the screen, I play around quite a bit with them, and for music, usually leave them off, except for extended theater setting, which really provides more punch playing rock, at the expense of spatiallity ( did I just make up a word?). When on, in Dolby or THX modes, the front sound stage really seems to flatten out parallel to the big screen. My question would be angle for these speakers. I have them pointed downward several degrees. May have to play with that. Perhaps 90 degrees to the ceiling would help.

Why go out to a movie theater?
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page