Can you guys help me with setting up my new system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just gotten this semi old system, and I tried to set it up, but apparently I'm doing something totally wrong.

Can anybody help me with explaning which cables goes where and how to make it all work?

I have tried to take some pictures that shows all the inputs and outputs. I have 1 subwoofer, 4 of the small speakers and 1 central speaker bar + the amp seen in the middle. I also have a whole bunch of cables.

I really hope you guys can help me!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
It's in the manual http://manuals.kenwood.novenaweb.info/languages/EN/support/manuals/KRF-V7-6-5010.pdf page 11

You'll need an rca cable to connect your powered subwoofer, usually to the left (look for a manual for it to see your connection options, but usually for a single cable you would use the left/lfe input on the sub from the avr's sub pre-out). You'll need sufficient gauge speaker wires for connecting the avr to the speakers for the distance involved; Roger Russell's info on speaker wires http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much, it was very helpful!

I have now set it up, and as I said, I knew some of them weren't working. But now it seems all of them are blown or whatever it's called, and scratches ALOT or doesn't work at all.

I tried to connect the amp to my mothers speakers that should work fine, and they scratched too.

Do you think that it's me connecting it wrong, the speakers or the amps thats broken?

Tyvm
post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
What do you mean by scratches? The speakers emit only a scratchy or static sound, no music/sound? What source for music/sound are you using?

post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasFrost View Post

Thank you very much, it was very helpful!

I have now set it up, and as I said, I knew some of them weren't working. But now it seems all of them are blown or whatever it's called, and scratches ALOT or doesn't work at all.

I tried to connect the amp to my mothers speakers that should work fine, and they scratched too.

Do you think that it's me connecting it wrong, the speakers or the amps thats broken?

Tyvm

Sounds like the amp is blown, if you hooked everything correctly and the amp is set correctly. Read the manual! The best thing to do is simplify. Hook it up in stereo, with no sub. If there's a radio, try that first. If that works, add a player. Then start adding speakers. Add the sub last. Check the polarity of everything and make sure your wires and connectors aren't cracked or shorting.

It really is a process of elimination in reverse.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

1 of them are totally dead and the other 4 scratches + sound. I tried the speakers on my moms amp too and they sounded the same on hers, so I guess they are dead.

Ok that video thing doesn't work cause I made it private... here's the link: http://youtu.be/iZH5dJ28BN4
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

1 of them are totally dead and the other 4 scratches + sound. I tried the speakers on my moms amp too and they sounded the same on hers, so I guess they are dead.

Ok that video thing doesn't work cause I made it private... here's the link: http://youtu.be/iZH5dJ28BN4

Since you tried the amp with your mother's speakers and you got noise, the problem is the amp. Sounds like it needs service.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

But now I also tried the speakers with my moms amp, and they are still ****. Maybe all of it is just some broken crap? biggrin.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

But now I also tried the speakers with my moms amp, and they are still ****. Maybe all of it is just some broken crap? biggrin.gif

I think the previous poster misunderstood. If your mom's amp drives other speakers fine but not yours, then your speakers are faulty. If you want to check your amp, hook up your mom's speakers (or any that you know are working) and see what happens.

BTW, if you are in the market for new speakers, I just saw that amazon has a 5.1 KEF system coming up on a lightning deal in 3 hours- might wanna check that out. KEF are very highly regarded, though might be too pricey (don't know what your budget might be, nor which system they'll be putting up). But if you will be looking for speakers, definitely worth a look.

EDIT: Just read back and saw that you already tried your receiver with your mom's speakers and that didn't work either. It sounds like maybe they are all defective, though you might want to get someone with more experience to double-check your findings before giving up on these.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page