Magenta - Seven 5.1 Dolby Digital - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I picked this special two disc edition from Amazon UK and it is a fabulous delight! Great musicianship and heavily influenced by Yes and the Gabriel-era Genesis,but tastefully so and still original. Even though the mix is just dolby digital, it sounded quite good. It is a shame that a higher resolution lossless format isn't available, but it is what it is. And this one is a keeper. I couldn't tell if any other of the Magenta releases were similarly remixed, but it didn't appear so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I picked this special two disc edition from Amazon UK and it is a fabulous delight! Great musicianship and heavily influenced by Yes and the Gabriel-era Genesis,but tastefully so and still original. Even though the mix is just dolby digital, it sounded quite good. It is a shame that a higher resolution lossless format isn't available, but it is what it is. And this one is a keeper. I couldn't tell if any other of the Magenta releases were similarly remixed, but it didn't appear so.

+1, you summed it up. I ordered this disc on your recommendation and I really like it, good music. It has an excellent immersive surround mix and though not his-rez (that would have been great) it has decent enough clarity/dynamics to be enjoyable.

Thanks
post #3 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I did a bit of listening on youtube, and you're right. They're pretty good. A mix of Yes and Renaissance with some nice melodies. Thanks for the tip!

http://youtu.be/ShJ94M1Ew18
post #4 of 15 Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Import CD's has a 2 disc set of Metamorphosis listed coming out 6/25. According to Amazon UK, the DVD also has a 5.1 mix. BTW, Import CD's has a 10% off sale on everything until 6/17.

Edit: Amazon UK also lists a NTSC DVD-V and DVD-A of this album. I don't know if the new release is lossy or not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Metamorphosis-Collection-Magenta/dp/B001TYFTGG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__2
post #5 of 15 Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Import CD's has a 2 disc set of Metamorphosis listed coming out 6/25. According to Amazon UK, the DVD also has a 5.1 mix. BTW, Import CD's has a 10% off sale on everything until 6/17.

Edit: Amazon UK also lists a NTSC DVD-V and DVD-A of this album. I don't know if the new release is lossy or not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Metamorphosis-Collection-Magenta/dp/B001TYFTGG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__2

I’m not certain if this is the same disc but I ordered it from their site about a week ago for 20.73 shipped. There is no mention of it being lossless or being a pre-order.

http://www.magentashopfront.com/page2.htm .
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There's also a title Chameleon listed at the Magenta site as having a 2-disc edition with a 5.1 mix. Looking forward to hearing these!
post #7 of 15 Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

There's also a title Chameleon listed at the Magenta site as having a 2-disc edition with a 5.1 mix. Looking forward to hearing these!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
Nil

Thanks for the heads up. Have ordered Metamorphosis from Import CDs. May follow up with Chameleon - 20.73 is a good price - if Metamorphosis is as much of a revelation as Seven was.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Have ordered Metamorphosis from Import CDs. May follow up with Chameleon - 20.73 is a good price - if Metamorphosis is as much of a revelation as Seven was.

Is that the price with the 10% discount?
post #10 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM

I received the 20.73 price for 7 from Magenta's site. Chameleon is the same price. I don't know what Import CD price is with the discount.

http://www.magentashopfront.com/page2.htm
post #11 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Nil

$21.43 to California (incld shipping and tax) with the 10% discount. Not much of a difference smile.gif
post #12 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$21.43 to California (incld shipping and tax) with the 10% discount. Not much of a difference smile.gif

Wow. I'm surprised they gave a discount for a pre-order. Stores usually don't. I'll have to get the Hawkwind 3 disc set that SW did the surround on. It's coming out on Tuesday.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Received Metamorphosis today and only listened to it once. My very early impression is it is very good. Their musical influences on this album are less pronounced, although it has good material and musicianship. Like “7” the 5.1 mix is immersive and the first thing I noticed is, it sounded less compressed. I checked the AVR and the display read it was playing in DD 24/48, not lossless, but much better. Good to hear progressive rock being freshened up (Steven Wilson wink.gif).
post #14 of 15 Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Magenta has a new CD+DVD, The 27 Club, announced for the UK, including a 5.1 mix!
post #15 of 15 Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Magenta has a new CD+DVD, The 27 Club, announced for the UK, including a 5.1 mix!
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page