how to create multichannel flac files from SACD ISO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have many SACD ISO files. I use Foobar to convert them to FLAC files and then stream the high-res FLAC files to my OPPO BDP-105 from an ethernet network drive.

Problem is, Foobar only creates stereo FLAC files from my SACD ISOs (even if the SACD has a multichannel layer).

I know my OPPO will play multichannel FLAC files with discrete multichannel sound via the ethernet drive because I have multichannel FLAC files that I got online, and the OPPO plays them from my network drive (ethernet connection), and they are definitely coming through in discrete 5.0 or 5.1.

How do I turn my SACDs (ISO files) into multichannel FLAC files rather than just stereo?? (Assuming the SACD source is multichannel which most of mine are, hence my frustration that I can only stream them in stereo)

Can Foobar do it, or do I need some software that's more robust?

Much appreciated if someone cam walk me through this in simple terms. I'm a novice at all this. Thanks! And someone please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
An SACD with both stereo and 5.1 content should have 2 separate sets of files - one for stereo and one for 5.1.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Problem not solved though. Please be patient with me. I dont know much about this. Here's what this looks like on my end. I have the SACD ISO plugin for Foobar. So I double click a singular iso file, foobar opens it up and displays all the individual tracks from the SACD album (from what had been a single image file of the entire disc). Foobar can then play all the individjal tracks from the SACD.

Now, stick with me.

I dont use Foobar to play my music. Rather than using a USB DAC, I just stream FLAC files from an ethernet drive to a network player (OPPO. DP-105) connected to my home theater system.

I essentially just use Foobar to convert the SACD ISOs to FLAC, then FLAC files go on network and stream to home theater system.

But Foobar only converts to stereo FLAC.

How can I make multichannel FLAC???

Can someone please walk me through it?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
You have to start with a multichannel file. An SACD (DSD layer) contains separate files for each track. One of those files is in stereo and one is in 5.1 - for each track. So if the album contains 15 songs, there should be 30 files.
You don't state how you got the "SACD ISO" in the first place. Is it possible you simply ripped the CD layer of the disc?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you rdgrimes. Good question about how I got the iso file. I downloaded it from the internet. Here's the interesting part though: if I burn the iso file to a blank DVD, and load it into the disc tray of my OPPO, the OPPO will play it as if it were a SACD-R disc, and it recognizes the multichannel layer, and plays the multichannel layer in 5.1. So the origonal iso file clearly contains the 5.1 channel tracks. This isnt a matter of my iso files not containing the multichanne information. They do. But for some reason Foobar doesnt see them or at least wont convert to multichannel FLAC tracks (or maybe it will. But I just dont know how). Feel like we are getting somewhat closer to a solution. Are you following me? Is there some other software maybe that would open these SACD iso files and convert to multichannel FLAC files as opposed to just stereo?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is helpful, but my Oppo won't play SACD-Rs anymore, they eliminated that in the last firmware update. But it does play DSS and DSF files from either a USB or directly from my computer via the network. So I have no need of converting them to FLAC, but if you extract the individual tracks from your SACD ISO, you may be able to convert them to FLAC somehow -- I haven't tried that but it must be possible (and you can choose to extract the multichannel files, not the stereo ones). You can use sacd_extract to do this (https://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/list).
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page