how to create multichannel flac files from SACD ISO - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have many SACD ISO files. I use Foobar to convert them to FLAC files and then stream the high-res FLAC files to my OPPO BDP-105 from an ethernet network drive.

Problem is, Foobar only creates stereo FLAC files from my SACD ISOs (even if the SACD has a multichannel layer).

I know my OPPO will play multichannel FLAC files with discrete multichannel sound via the ethernet drive because I have multichannel FLAC files that I got online, and the OPPO plays them from my network drive (ethernet connection), and they are definitely coming through in discrete 5.0 or 5.1.

How do I turn my SACDs (ISO files) into multichannel FLAC files rather than just stereo?? (Assuming the SACD source is multichannel which most of mine are, hence my frustration that I can only stream them in stereo)

Can Foobar do it, or do I need some software that's more robust?

Much appreciated if someone cam walk me through this in simple terms. I'm a novice at all this. Thanks! And someone please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
An SACD with both stereo and 5.1 content should have 2 separate sets of files - one for stereo and one for 5.1.
post #3 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Problem not solved though. Please be patient with me. I dont know much about this. Here's what this looks like on my end. I have the SACD ISO plugin for Foobar. So I double click a singular iso file, foobar opens it up and displays all the individual tracks from the SACD album (from what had been a single image file of the entire disc). Foobar can then play all the individjal tracks from the SACD.

Now, stick with me.

I dont use Foobar to play my music. Rather than using a USB DAC, I just stream FLAC files from an ethernet drive to a network player (OPPO. DP-105) connected to my home theater system.

I essentially just use Foobar to convert the SACD ISOs to FLAC, then FLAC files go on network and stream to home theater system.

But Foobar only converts to stereo FLAC.

How can I make multichannel FLAC???

Can someone please walk me through it?
post #4 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
You have to start with a multichannel file. An SACD (DSD layer) contains separate files for each track. One of those files is in stereo and one is in 5.1 - for each track. So if the album contains 15 songs, there should be 30 files.
You don't state how you got the "SACD ISO" in the first place. Is it possible you simply ripped the CD layer of the disc?
post #5 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you rdgrimes. Good question about how I got the iso file. I downloaded it from the internet. Here's the interesting part though: if I burn the iso file to a blank DVD, and load it into the disc tray of my OPPO, the OPPO will play it as if it were a SACD-R disc, and it recognizes the multichannel layer, and plays the multichannel layer in 5.1. So the origonal iso file clearly contains the 5.1 channel tracks. This isnt a matter of my iso files not containing the multichanne information. They do. But for some reason Foobar doesnt see them or at least wont convert to multichannel FLAC tracks (or maybe it will. But I just dont know how). Feel like we are getting somewhat closer to a solution. Are you following me? Is there some other software maybe that would open these SACD iso files and convert to multichannel FLAC files as opposed to just stereo?
post #6 of 45 Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is helpful, but my Oppo won't play SACD-Rs anymore, they eliminated that in the last firmware update. But it does play DSS and DSF files from either a USB or directly from my computer via the network. So I have no need of converting them to FLAC, but if you extract the individual tracks from your SACD ISO, you may be able to convert them to FLAC somehow -- I haven't tried that but it must be possible (and you can choose to extract the multichannel files, not the stereo ones). You can use sacd_extract to do this (https://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/list).
post #7 of 45 Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
post #8 of 45 Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am able to create multi-channel FLAC files using Sonore ISO2DVD to extract the DSF files from the iso and then dbPoweramp to convert the DSF to Flac specifying 6 channel encoding.

They sound great and the process is quick and easy.
Desert Pilot likes this.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnyder View Post
I have many SACD ISO files. I use Foobar to convert them to FLAC files and then stream the high-res FLAC files to my OPPO BDP-105 from an ethernet network drive.

Problem is, Foobar only creates stereo FLAC files from my SACD ISOs (even if the SACD has a multichannel layer).

I know my OPPO will play multichannel FLAC files with discrete multichannel sound via the ethernet drive because I have multichannel FLAC files that I got online, and the OPPO plays them from my network drive (ethernet connection), and they are definitely coming through in discrete 5.0 or 5.1.

How do I turn my SACDs (ISO files) into multichannel FLAC files rather than just stereo?? (Assuming the SACD source is multichannel which most of mine are, hence my frustration that I can only stream them in stereo)

Can Foobar do it, or do I need some software that's more robust?

Much appreciated if someone cam walk me through this in simple terms. I'm a novice at all this. Thanks! And someone please help!
Just to be clear - you already have the SACD ISOs from some source, and just wish to extract the content.

One way is to use ISO2DSD. It is a pc/mac/linux companion tool to the SACD-RIPPER that is commonly used on PS3s to rip SACD ISOs
GUI versions for various operating systems can be found here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129913.0

If you want to then convert the DSD tracks to flac, there are several tools. One that has not been mentioned (if you run Linux or a mac) is a "sister" tool to the one noted above. It has the same elementary GUI front end.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129912.0

I have been using these two tools, in concert with a "modified" PS3 for creating the ISOs, to convert my entire SACD library to flac.
I have also used the same two tools to convert SACD ISOs that were purchased on-line from Pentatone.
Djoel likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #10 of 45 Old 01-11-2015, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Foobar preferences for the SACD decoder need to be set to MCH. Simple.

ISOs normally contain both stereo and multichannel tracks. You just need to tell Foobar (which defaults to stereo) you want MCH.
post #11 of 45 Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post
Foobar preferences for the SACD decoder need to be set to MCH. Simple.

ISOs normally contain both stereo and multichannel tracks. You just need to tell Foobar (which defaults to stereo) you want MCH.
How do you change it to MCH?
post #12 of 45 Old 02-20-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman234 View Post
How do you change it to MCH?
There is no preference to change in Foobar. If an album has 12 songs, generally tracks 1-12 will be the stereo ones and 13-24 will be the multichannel ones. if you right click on one of the tracks, click properties and then choose the properties tab, you will see a value called channels and it will be either 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 depending on how many were in the mix for that track.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
There is no preference to change in Foobar. If an album has 12 songs, generally tracks 1-12 will be the stereo ones and 13-24 will be the multichannel ones. if you right click on one of the tracks, click properties and then choose the properties tab, you will see a value called channels and it will be either 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 depending on how many were in the mix for that track.
Is there a way to isolate each channel separately?
post #14 of 45 Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way to isolate each channel separately?
To what end?
post #15 of 45 Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
To what end?
So say I have the 5.1 mix open in Foobar, how could I listen to each of the tracks separately?
post #16 of 45 Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So say I have the 5.1 mix open in Foobar, how could I listen to each of the tracks separately?
Are you confusing tracks with channels? I am not sure what you are asking.
post #17 of 45 Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Are you confusing tracks with channels? I am not sure what you are asking.
Sorry I did mean channels. I don't have much knowledge on the subject, but basically I understand that in a 5.1 mix there are different channels that correspond to the different speakers in the surround setup. Is there a way to isolate each one of these channels?
post #18 of 45 Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I did mean channels. I don't have much knowledge on the subject, but basically I understand that in a 5.1 mix there are different channels that correspond to the different speakers in the surround setup. Is there a way to isolate each one of these channels?
The only way that I know to do that within Foobar is if you use an ASIO driver to play your audio. If you do, you can go into preferences, output, ASIO, and remap your channels. Mapping all of them to none except for the one that you want to play will do what you are asking.
post #19 of 45 Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
The only way that I know to do that within Foobar is if you use an ASIO driver to play your audio. If you do, you can go into preferences, output, ASIO, and remap your channels. Mapping all of them to none except for the one that you want to play will do what you are asking.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go later.
post #20 of 45 Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go later.
Anyway besides an old PlayStation 3 on doing the opposite?
i.e. SACD disc to .iso
post #21 of 45 Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
i.e. SACD disc to .iso
no

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #22 of 45 Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks
post #23 of 45 Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
i.e. SACD disc to .iso
You can send them to someone that has a playstation 3 set up to do that...
post #24 of 45 Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Sony should set up a DSD download store, this could be an "answer" to a lot of people who can't/ won't rip their own SACD's and it would be cheap for Sony to do it. Of course it should be way cheaper than the discs at least if they wanted to make this a big success.Lots of OOP could be resurrected as well.
Djoel likes this.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #25 of 45 Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Sony should set up a DSD download store, this could be an "answer" to a lot of people who can't/ won't rip their own SACD's and it would be cheap for Sony to do it. Of course it should be way cheaper than the discs at least if they wanted to make this a big success.Lots of OOP could be resurrected as well.
SACD was invented to *prevent* people from ripping the albums. It didn't work (never does), but that was the point. So Sony will never make them easily available. Which means they'll be a niche product, if not actually going extinct. I do have high hope for High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray, but the labels may still manage to screw that up.

Too bad the major labels haven't figured out that if they made full res downloads available directly they could make a lot of money. ("Full res" meaning 44.1/16 for CD's or higher res if available.) The only release I have ever seen that came close to this was Bryan Adams' Reckless high res release which has FLAC files already on the disk so you don't need to rip anything -- just copy. Very nice.

Mike
post #26 of 45 Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Interesting thread, subscribed!

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears SSP: XMC-1 Amplification: XPA-5 G2 Display: Samsung PN64D7000 Source: Oppo 103, HTPC 16TB Jriver 19, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2 Power:Panamax M5300-PM
post #27 of 45 Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
SACD was invented to *prevent* people from ripping the albums. It didn't work (never does), but that was the point. So Sony will never make them easily available. Which means they'll be a niche product, if not actually going extinct. I do have high hope for High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray, but the labels may still manage to screw that up.
Sort of. For the last couple of years or so, Sony has had a couple of DSD-capable network players on the market for the high end. At introduction, they planned to introduce their own on-line DSD store to support these products. In the end, they decided not to put up their own store for DSD downloads - but instead chose to make the Sony back catalog in DSD available through Acoustic Sounds. They have a huge back catalog and a long way to go before it is all out there, but "never" is apparently a pretty short time.
thehun likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #28 of 45 Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Sort of. For the last couple of years or so, Sony has had a couple of DSD-capable network players on the market for the high end. At introduction, they planned to introduce their own on-line DSD store to support these products. In the end, they decided not to put up their own store for DSD downloads - but instead chose to make the Sony back catalog in DSD available through Acoustic Sounds. They have a huge back catalog and a long way to go before it is all out there, but "never" is apparently a pretty short time.
Yeah I thought there was an outlet already, and I thought Sony is doing it in Japan, but I could be wrong about that. Sony is going through an all encompassing reorganization to turn profit, yet they ignore this. DSD capable DAC's are all the rage these days with people who use their computer for music file playback.

The Hun
post #29 of 45 Old 02-26-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
SACD was invented to *prevent* people from ripping the albums. It didn't work (never does), but that was the point. So Sony will never make them easily available. Which means they'll be a niche product, if not actually going extinct.
When you visit the Sony High-Resolution web site you'll find that they list various 'services' to legitimately buy and download Sony DSD audio files

The Acoustic Sounds store has got hundreds of DSD albums available for legitimate download...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 02-26-2015 at 01:52 PM.
post #30 of 45 Old 02-26-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
When you visit the Sony High-Resolution web site you'll find that they list various 'services' to legitimately buy and download Sony DSD audio files

The Acoustic Sounds store has got hundreds of DSD albums available for legitimate download...
Thanks for that it is certainly a start.....

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page