High Fidelity Pure Audio - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
post #271 of 296 Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Why no surround? I wouldn't worry about the dialnorm though, you just raise the MV by 4db, and presto. Better yet choose the uncompressed PCM as I would since I don't bother with those redundant tracks. YMMV.
Surround on these HFPAs is certainly hit and miss. COTC gets the same treatment as Breakfast In America, no 5.1. Interesting that SA-CD.net is still showing Black Sabbath's "13" on BD has a 5.1 track, when according to disappointed buyers it does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 296 Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Supertramp - Breakfast In America

Audio streams
2Ch PCM stream encoded at 96kHz/24-bit
2Ch DTS-HD MA stream encoded at 96kHz/24-bit
2Ch Dolby TrueHD stream encoded at 96kHz/16-bit!

Video stream
As you can see below, the size of video stream is much smaller (percentage-wise) than previous HFPA disc's. But it's still much bigger than it needs to be!

When the audio and video streams are 'de-muxed' from within the .m2ts container (which has a large over-head), this is what you see: -

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 01-09-2015 at 05:23 AM.
post #273 of 296 Old 01-11-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Whatever the stream size is, I'm not crazy about COTC. I guess I'm used to the built in subwoofer of the MFSL vinyl. This sounds okay but there is something lacking IMO. I've listened a couple of times but still can't put my finger on it. Maybe the CD is the way to go on this one. Or maybe I need to break out the single malt!
post #274 of 296 Old 07-05-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems like our friends over at Universal Music have got some new HFPA releases coming. And are now offering 'HD Downloads': -

http://store.universalmusic.com/udis...Blu-Ray-Audio/

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #275 of 296 Old 07-05-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Seems like our friends over at Universal Music have got some new HFPA releases coming. And are now offering 'HD Downloads': -

http://store.universalmusic.com/udis...Blu-Ray-Audio/

Cheers
Thanks for the link. A lot of vinyl there too.
post #276 of 296 Old 07-05-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just an FYI: the best prices I've seen for these are usually on amazon through marketplace sellers.

I have Beck Sea Change, Who's Quadrophenia (both very good) and Marley's Legend (outstanding). I only go for these for a good surround mix; imo they are way over-priced for the stereo only versions.

I think the 5.1's are also a bit over-priced, considering how much more you get from many other BR-A's, which includes extras, sometimes quite a bit of them- and have the added expense of creating the 5.1 mix, whereas these HFPA's so far have only offered existing 5.1 mixes. But for around $20, they're still a good deal for a good 5.1 mix.
acebreathe likes this.
post #277 of 296 Old 07-05-2015, 02:02 PM

Anyone have Rush's A Farewell To Kings on HFPA and wouldn't mind giving their impressions? Thanks....
Bill
post #278 of 296 Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'd really like to get the Black Sabbath '13 HFPA but I understand the Blu-Ray is just as brick walled as the CD.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #279 of 296 Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Anyone have Rush's A Farewell To Kings on HFPA and wouldn't mind giving their impressions? Thanks....
Bill
Both the Blu-ray and the DVD-A appear to be the same. ie: Mixed by Richard Chycki at Mixland, Ontario. Mastered by Andy VanDette at Materdisk, NY. And supervised by Jeff Fura.

Cheers

post #280 of 296 Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I'd really like to get the Black Sabbath '13 HFPA but I understand the Blu-Ray is just as brick walled as the CD.

Stay away from that dog. It has fleas.
post #281 of 296 Old 07-06-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Both the Blu-ray and the DVD-A appear to be the same. ie: Mixed by Richard Chycki at Mixland, Ontario. Mastered by Andy VanDette at Materdisk, NY. And supervised by Jeff Fura.

Cheers
Quote:
Bill
You might want to look here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...INGS-DVD-A-BDA

qq is always a great reference to use for potential purchases.
post #282 of 296 Old 07-06-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
You might want to look here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...INGS-DVD-A-BDA

qq is always a great reference to use for potential purchases.
Thanks Jim, great info there! I really need to get off my duff and join up
post #283 of 296 Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jim, great info there! I really need to get off my duff and join up
Avec plaiseur, mon ami (forgive my spelling, it's been a while since French in college and I never kept after it after the courses).

FWIW, you don't need to join to check out the polls or the threads, just if you wanna post. But that community is by far the friendliest online community I've ever been part of- and the most knowledgeable in the area of all things multi-channel. And the moderator Jon Urban is a total class act, devoted to keeping it ad-free, w/o ever soliciting or accepting donations. And we get a few industry types who stop by to answer questions from time to time, such as the surround king himself, Steven Wilson. Andy Jackson, who did the surround mixes for Division Bell and Endless River- as well as his own recent solo album, has been a regular there for a while. So come join the fun- we'd love to have you.
himey likes this.
post #284 of 296 Old 07-07-2015, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually have Rush - Farewell to Kings on DVD-A. I was hoping that the Blu-ray might have brought us something different. But it doesn't

post #285 of 296 Old 07-07-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I actually have Rush - Farewell to Kings on DVD-A. I was hoping that the Blu-ray might have brought us something different. But it doesn't

Thanks SMD, to you and Jim. That seems to be the consensus on this one, don't think I'll pull the trigger at $30 CDN. I'm retiring later this year, and liquid assets for music purchases won't be quite what it has been. So, I'll find myself relying more on sites like this for good info. Another I may forgo is the new AF SACD of the Doors, at $40 up here it's something I just can't bring myself to buy.
post #286 of 296 Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Bill
Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #287 of 296 Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am new to this thread but I am a HRA audio fan having built up a collection of both SACD and DVD-A.

Looking a the Universal site I was wondering what would be the difference in AQ between this disc

http://store.universalmusic.com/udis...io/36N904FD000

and this one

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-8377-di...brid-sacd.aspx

a title I own and which sounds great.

My main issue with DVD-A (not so much with SACD) is that it's hard to actually to play a disc without having the monitor on so you can see the navigation, which for me is the projector.

I hope Pure Audio fixes that so that is plays just like a CD does.
post #288 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
I am new to this thread but I am a HRA audio fan having built up a collection of both SACD and DVD-A.

Looking a the Universal site I was wondering what would be the difference in AQ between this disc

http://store.universalmusic.com/udis...io/36N904FD000

and this one

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-8377-di...brid-sacd.aspx

a title I own and which sounds great.

My main issue with DVD-A (not so much with SACD) is that it's hard to actually to play a disc without having the monitor on so you can see the navigation, which for me is the projector.

I hope Pure Audio fixes that so that is plays just like a CD does.

You can easily rip the audio bitperfect from a DVD-Audio disk to computer files. That may make it a little more convenient for you.
post #289 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
You can easily rip the audio bitperfect from a DVD-Audio disk to computer files. That may make it a little more convenient for you.
Problem is I can rip the disk to say multi-channel FLAC and I have a Popcorn Hour media player which can play those files, I still need to have a monitor (or in this case the projector) on to be able to navigate the menus. I would much prefer to be able to pop in a disk and press play and enjoy my music with no hassle.
post #290 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
My general feeling is that we haven't yet taken advantage of the bandwidth available using a sampling rate of 96 kHz so why bother quadrupling the file size of a soundfile that sounds the same…or worse. I decided to take a look at some DXD files and see what I could see.

I was astounded at what I saw. Knowing that these were PCM files, I would have expected to see a rich area of amplitude in the 20-20 kHz range with some additional sound (the upper most partials) drifting past 25kHz to around 40-50 kHz. Anything higher than that would be visually and aurally invisible.
We will never take advantage of the bandwith available from even a 96kHz sampling rate because any sound above 20kHz (more 16 or 17kHz for most of us) is aurally invisible to humans. To perfectly encode that you need a 40kHz sampling rate, a significantly higher sampling rate is completely unnecessary. Its another 'audiophile' marketing deception designed to separate you from your cash, just like the directional, shielded, longitudinal grain OFC speaker cable you paid thousands for.

Seriously, does nobody round here understand the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquis...original_proof
sworth likes this.
post #291 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Problem is I can rip the disk to say multi-channel FLAC and I have a Popcorn Hour media player which can play those files, I still need to have a monitor (or in this case the projector) on to be able to navigate the menus. I would much prefer to be able to pop in a disk and press play and enjoy my music with no hassle.
This is one more reason I like my Oppo BDP103, with the Android or IOS app you can actually see all the content it can stream on your phone or tablet so one wouldn't need a TV or monitor. This was the main reason I started to rip my DVD-As and Blu-Rays as well. SACD's are the only disc format I actually spin since I have no means to rip them.

The Hun
post #292 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
We will never take advantage of the bandwith available from even a 96kHz sampling rate because any sound above 20kHz (more 16 or 17kHz for most of us) is aurally invisible to humans. To perfectly encode that you need a 40kHz sampling rate, a significantly higher sampling rate is completely unnecessary. Its another 'audiophile' marketing deception designed to separate you from your cash, just like the directional, shielded, longitudinal grain OFC speaker cable you paid thousands for.

Seriously, does nobody round here understand the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquis...original_proof
Some of us do. I personally support HRA mostly because of surround, and a better chance of getting products that weren't hampered by post production. Of course there is no guarantee of that, as we all experienced it one way or another. There is nothing wrong to use 24/96 for recording and mixing, but for consumer playback they are overkill for sure. I won't even address those outrageous DSD 128/256 or DXD files as they are a complete rip offs.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 07-14-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #293 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is one more reason I like my Oppo BDP103, with the Android or IOS app you can actually see all the content it can stream on your phone or tablet so one wouldn't need a TV or monitor. This was the main reason I started to rip my DVD-As and Blu-Rays as well. SACD's are the only disc format I actually spin since I have no means to rip them.
Alas I have a BDP-80 so no Android support.

I have seen rips of SACD's around but I think it requires a modd'ed PS3 to do so it's not something easily achieved.
post #294 of 296 Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Alas I have a BDP-80 so no Android support.

I have seen rips of SACD's around but I think it requires a modd'ed PS3 to do so it's not something easily achieved.
Yes you are correct. DVD-A's are probably the easiest to rip as almost all computers nowadays have a dvd drive. Blu ray discs are fairly easy too as long as you have a blu ray drive or a portable player, and that's more than likely the reason why Sony never got around to releasing their first batch of titles that they advertised over a year ago. It's also the reason I continue to buy blu ray audio. I can rip the disc and have a very good two channel copy for my portable hi rez player.
post #295 of 296 Unread Today, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Some of us do. I personally support HRA mostly because of surround, and a better chance of getting products that weren't hampered by post production. Of course there is no guarantee of that, as we all experienced it one way or another. There is nothing wrong to use 24/96 for recording and mixing, but for consumer playback they are overkill for sure. I won't even address those outrageous DSD 128/256 or DXD files as they are a complete rip offs.
Fair enough, I fully support those people who are encouraging the use of these formats because of extra channels, less post-production mess (especially dynamic compression) and anything else that could (even conceivably) increase perceived sound quality.

But it annoys me no end when people do it just for the bigger numbers, and even more so when they understand what the numbers mean but still peddle the idea that anything above a 48KHz sample rate will make any perceived difference for consumer playback. It won't. If you think otherwise you are wrong, and you need to read up on the link in my previous post.

For recording/mixing purposes higher sample rates might be somewhat helpful, but I don't know enough about professional audio mixing to comment with any authority.
post #296 of 296 Unread Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Perhaps there are people out there that have the means to rip SACDs for you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page