Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 211 Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Any problems with The GRRR BD and Oppo players can be cleared up by clearing out the persistent storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 211 Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nirvana-In-Utero-Blu-ray/88498/#Overview

Just straight up stereo, no MCH mix. Meh..I'll pass.

Sources: Oppo DV-980HD (sacd/dvd-a playback), LG BD-570 blu-ray player
Speakers: Rega RS5's, Rega R1's, Rega RS-VOX
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
post #93 of 211 Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Unfortunately only a few of these discs are MCH.
post #94 of 211 Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
'a few' maybe optimistic!
post #95 of 211 Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Sea Change, A Night at the Opera, and The History of Melody Nelson. That's three which I think qualifies as a few lol, especially when the claim is that they hope to get a 1000 out by years end. Though which year is still up in the air.
post #96 of 211 Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know if the 5.1 discs also have a stereo layer?
post #97 of 211 Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I would assume there would be stereo layer.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #98 of 211 Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have Melody Nelson which is a 5.1 disc and I believe there is a stereo mix but I will check it out when i get home from work.
post #99 of 211 Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

I checked out my Melody Nelson disc and there is a stereo layer in addition to the 5.1 mix. But that is the only disc I have with a 5.1 mix.
post #100 of 211 Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11
I just got my Music Direct catalog and noticed these. Are there any other discs besides Histoire de Melody Nelson which is in MCH?
post #101 of 211 Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I would assume there would be stereo layer.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I checked out my Melody Nelson disc and there is a stereo layer in addition to the 5.1 mix. But that is the only disc I have with a 5.1 mix.

Thanks guys. I was going to get the MFSL of Sea Change, but I'll wait for the HFPA. I can't pass up a 5.1 mix!
post #102 of 211 Old 11-17-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks guys. I was going to get the MFSL of Sea Change, but I'll wait for the HFPA. I can't pass up a 5.1 mix!

The Sea Change MFSL CD is regarded as the best digital stereo version. I have a copy of the MFSL CD coming and I'm looking forward to giving it a good listen. If you are more interested in 5.1 then the HFPA would be the best choice. If the Sea Change HFPA has similar 5.1 SQ to the SACD/DVD-A then it will be well worth buying.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #103 of 211 Old 11-17-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sea Change MFSL CD is regarded as the best digital stereo version. I have a copy of the MFSL CD coming and I'm looking forward to giving it a good listen. If you are more interested in 5.1 then the HFPA would be the best choice. If the Sea Change HFPA has similar 5.1 SQ to the SACD/DVD-A then it will be well worth buying.

Bill

Thanks. From what I've read, the HFPA's are using the same mixes as the existing albums so it should be the same- hopefully.
post #104 of 211 Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Well I am taking the plunge and ordered Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero. This is my favorite band and I have heard the Redbook CDs literally 1000s of times so I am very curious to see how much better the HFPA mixes are. I will report back once I receive them and give them a good listen.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #105 of 211 Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

Quote:

Got two Pure Audio discs this past weekend from Amazon UK, both by Serge Gainsbourg, Histoire de Melody Nelson and Aux armes et caetera. Both discs have full track listings by name, you don't have to refer to the jewel case like with GRRR. Melody comes with a 2.0 and a 5.1 mix both in PCM or DTS Master Audio. There are 9 bonus tracks of alternate mixes but unfortunately they are only in 2.0. I listened to it in 5.1 DTS. There was nice separation between guitars and drums across the front with Gainsbourg's half sung half spoken vocals anchored in the center channel. The rears are used sparingly for the first two tracks, mainly for synthesizers, but the mix becomes more immersive with each track and by the end everything is working at once. Quite nice. Aux armes is Gainsbourg's reggae album and is presented only in 2.0 but it is impressive. Several times I thought I heard sound coming from behind me. Of the two discs this one IMO sounded the best. I can't say that it sounds like you are in the studio with the musicians like the blurb says. On melody it does seem as though Gainsbourg is sitting across the room from you. I would recommend both discs to anyone that is a Gainsbourg fan[/quote

Gainsbourg what an artist :) too bad he is gone

post #106 of 211 Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Well I am taking the plunge and ordered Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero. This is my favorite band and I have heard the Redbook CDs literally 1000s of times so I am very curious to see how much better the HFPA mixes are. I will report back once I receive them and give them a good listen.

Seems Nevermind is not worth the 'upgrade' while Utero is better than CD. Interesting to get your opinion too.
post #107 of 211 Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Look at the email I've just received from Universal Music: -
Quote:
Dear Universal Music Customer,

This is an email with regards to your order for PUREAUDIO / Nick Drake / Five Leaves Left Pure Audio 2013.

We have been advised by the manufacturers that due to a technical error, the stock will not be available until 13/01/14. We will be looking to dispatch all orders on or just before that date.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this will cause.

If you have any further queries about this, then please contact our support team at support@universal-music.co.uk as replies to this email may not be monitored.

Kind Regards

Universal Music

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #108 of 211 Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Liked: 10
To me I think the format is geared towards those of us who bought the MFSL in vinyl and then in gold disc. I like the idea of the uncompressed data. Maybe get a little more dynamics out of it. I don't own any yet but after going through the Music Direct catalog I will get a few just to see. As far as price I think those here who seem to think they should be $10 aren't being realistic. What do you pay for a gold disc CD from MFSL? More than $10 that's for sure. Seems that several titles will be released 12/3 so my jump in will be soon I expect. Can't really say what to think from the reviews so far. I suspect some of them don't even have the discs and just like shouting. At least that is what I see. Will know more soon.
post #109 of 211 Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt@ca View Post

To me I think the format is geared towards those of us who bought the MFSL in vinyl and then in gold disc. I like the idea of the uncompressed data. Maybe get a little more dynamics out of it. I don't own any yet but after going through the Music Direct catalog I will get a few just to see. As far as price I think those here who seem to think they should be $10 aren't being realistic. What do you pay for a gold disc CD from MFSL? More than $10 that's for sure. Seems that several titles will be released 12/3 so my jump in will be soon I expect. Can't really say what to think from the reviews so far. I suspect some of them don't even have the discs and just like shouting. At least that is what I see. Will know more soon.

I don't own any of HFPA discs but I've read quite a number of reviews and they are mixed. So if you consider that "shouting" so be it. I feel it is important to post here on AVS of what I've read on other sites regarding the HFPA discs. If anyone wants to buy them without doing any research or reading some reviews thats fine. But I'd rather have a little knowledge about the music I'm buying especially when you are paying $20 or more per title. As far as the prices of the HFPA discs I think they are fair. But if the SQ of a specific title is no better than that of a RBCD then they are not worth the cost IMO. Whether the data is uncompressed or not the mastering of a specific title is far more important than the format used. A member over at the Steve Hoffman forum has quite a few HFPA discs and not one of them lists who did the mastering.

Bill

post #110 of 211 Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A member over at the Steve Hoffman forum has quite a few HFPA discs and not one of them lists who did the mastering.

Bill
Indeed...

Given that Universal likes to 'bang on' about the audio qualities of the HFPA disc's I was hoping there would a dedicated information area within the sleeve notes detailing how these disc's were mastered and by whom... But there's very little or nothing eek.gif

Even the information on their Pure Audio sales web site is woefully poor. They don't even specify which titles contain multi-channel surround sound...

Come on Universal... This is not very encouraging!
acebreathe likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #111 of 211 Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
I do read the individual reviews. And I will take them into account. I was excited to see Exile on Main Street but the reviews seem mostly bad. Not sure that will be one of the discs I buy. One element that hasn't been answered but questioned repeatedly here is the mastering. When MFSL did their versions both in vinyl & CD, they got the original master tapes and one of the things that impressed me with those was a clear dynamic difference between most of those vs the regular releases. This format (BRPA) originally said these were all going to be done from those same original master tapes and as we have seen, the truth of that is still debatable. If they aren't publishing who did the mastering and where (like they do with the MFSL stuff) I would think they aren't original masters. You'd think that would be one of their strong advertising pitches and they'd be pushing it to get folk to buy it. So....don't know what to expect there. I have a whole bunch of DVD-A discs and just about every one is a big difference over the regular label release. I don't always like what they do with the 5.1 mix but I do hear a much better source normally. And that is why this is something I'm interested in. I want to know.
post #112 of 211 Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the listing from Music Direct. Sure enough that is what the listing says. The one that shocked me was Beck's Sea Change in 5.1 for $29.99. What surprises me is that this is the only title listed as 5.1. A majority of the titles listed are classical. I'll hold out buying any of them till I see some favorable reviews. Crime of the Century certainly looks interesting.

But I'm somewhat skeptical about the text below from the Music Direct listing.

Universal Music Group has gone back to the original master tapes to deliver fully uncompressed, high-resolution versions of many of your favorite albums. Mastered at 24bit/96k, the label’s Blu-Ray Pure Audio Discs deliver the sound the artists heard in the studio when these classic albums were recorded.

Bill
I don't know if anybody else has noticed but there's something very odd about the 2 channel (stereo) PCM audio element of this disc... When I de-muxed it using DVDFab to the Matroska container, MediaInfo reports it as being 192KHz/32-bit eek.gif

EDIT: Hmmm... Looks like there might be a bug with DVDFab. When the audio information is read directly off the disc, the PCM element is reported as being 192KHz/24-bit...

post #113 of 211 Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I don't own any of HFPA discs but I've read quite a number of reviews and they are mixed. So if you consider that "shouting" so be it. I feel it is important to post here on AVS of what I've read on other sites regarding the HFPA discs. If anyone wants to buy them without doing any research or reading some reviews thats fine. But I'd rather have a little knowledge about the music I'm buying especially when you are paying $20 or more per title. As far as the prices of the HFPA discs I think they are fair. But if the SQ of a specific title is no better than that of a RBCD then they are not worth the cost IMO. Whether the data is uncompressed or not the mastering of a specific title is far more important than the format used. A member over at the Steve Hoffman forum has quite a few HFPA discs and not one of them lists who did the mastering.

Bill

This is the thing most people seem to forget or not understand. A well-mastered CD (a rarity, I know) will blow away a hi-rez poorly mastered BR, sacd, dvd-a or whatever. That is why I am very disappointed so far w/ what I've read about these discs (along w/ the very few that have 5.1 mixes). The lack of mastering info is very suspicious and many have reported that they seem to be using previous (and not always good) masters. I think Universal really screwed the pooch on these. Just look at what Panegyric/SW did w/ the CttE release: that is how BR music releases should be done.
post #114 of 211 Old 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

This is the thing most people seem to forget or not understand. A well-mastered CD (a rarity, I know) will blow away a hi-rez poorly mastered BR, sacd, dvd-a or whatever. That is why I am very disappointed so far w/ what I've read about these discs (along w/ the very few that have 5.1 mixes). The lack of mastering info is very suspicious and many have reported that they seem to be using previous (and not always good) masters. I think Universal really screwed the pooch on these. Just look at what Panegyric/SW did w/ the CttE release: that is how BR music releases should be done.

Except for the packaging on the CttE BD, which is atrocious. It's almost worth getting the DVD-A just to get the box to match the Crimson and XTC releases.
post #115 of 211 Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Except for the packaging on the CttE BD, which is atrocious. It's almost worth getting the DVD-A just to get the box to match the Crimson and XTC releases.

I did get the dvd-a and the packaging is nice. I don't usually spend much time w/ extras, just want the 5.1 mix. Though I would like to have a listen to the instrumental versions from the BR. But dvd-a is so much more versatile, imo. I'm still hoping to get a surround system in my car someday. Also, my BR player is a PS3, which is a lot harder to operate w/ the monitor off than other BR players- and I prefer to listen to music w/ the TV off.
post #116 of 211 Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Universal have announced seven new 2014 releases in the UK... See here.

post #117 of 211 Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 AM

Liked: 17
That link leads to a customer login page.
post #118 of 211 Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

The Sea Change MFSL CD is regarded as the best digital stereo version. I have a copy of the MFSL CD coming and I'm looking forward to giving it a good listen. If you are more interested in 5.1 then the HFPA would be the best choice. If the Sea Change HFPA has similar 5.1 SQ to the SACD/DVD-A then it will be well worth buying
I own the Sea Change SACD, beautiful sounding disc. I'm very curious to compare the PureAudio version. I'm gonna spring for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

yes, I plan to go for this one as well.
Quote:

I figure I'll experiement with a few titles and go from there.

What about FLAC, or so-called HD versions of the above mentioned titles (ie. Nirvana, Beck, etc.,...), are'nt many of these titles like $27.00USD
post #119 of 211 Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I own the Sea Change SACD, beautiful sounding disc. I'm very curious to compare the PureAudio version. I'm gonna spring for it.

To be honest if you have the SACD I see no real need to get the HFPA. But if you plan on selling the SACD then it might be a good idea if the HFPA sounds as good. I'm very happy with the SACD and the MOFI Gold CD. I listened to the MOFI last week and it sounds incredible smile.gif.

Bill

post #120 of 211 Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yes, I plan to go for this one as well.
I figure I'll experiement with a few titles and go from there.

What about FLAC, or so-called HD versions of the above mentioned titles (ie. Nirvana, Beck, etc.,...), are'nt many of these titles like $27.00USD
The DSD downloads run around 24-27 bucks US and HD Tracks charge from 18 and change to the high 20's depending on the album and / or the resolution. Sometimes they offer the same album in 88, 96, or 192 and all are priced accordingly.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page