7Likes

post #181 of 228 Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Picked up 2 HFPA discs from Amazon UK.
Good Bye Yellow Brick Road and Never Mind the Bullocks.
I have the DVD-A of GBYBR but haven't done a comparo as I just got home yesterday but the 2-channel is really, really nice.
The 2channel was redone for this release but the 5.1 is the original done by Greg Penny.
My memory of the DVD-A I have is that is a bit tizzy on the high-end but I'll have to compare to be sure.
The Sex Pistols disc is excellent. If you can muster it up to listen it is very clean and solid.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 228 Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Picked up 2 HFPA discs from Amazon UK.
Good Bye Yellow Brick Road and Never Mind the Bullocks.
I have the DVD-A of GBYBR but haven't done a comparo as I just got home yesterday but the 2-channel is really, really nice.
The 2channel was redone for this release but the 5.1 is the original done by Greg Penny.
My memory of the DVD-A I have is that is a bit tizzy on the high-end but I'll have to compare to be sure.
The Sex Pistols disc is excellent. If you can muster it up to listen it is very clean and solid.

I'd be interested in your impressions of the 5.1 GBYBR HFPA vs. the DVD-A. Some guys over at QQ have said it sounds better than the SACD, but not the DVD-A. I just got the BD and have the SACD but have not listened as of yet. OTOH, the DVD-A is unobtanium at this point.
post #183 of 228 Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have news about Sony's foray into BD-As? Thought I recalled reading there was supposed to be something tangible this month...
post #184 of 228 Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

Anyone have news about Sony's foray into BD-As? Thought I recalled reading there was supposed to be something tangible this month...
Was supposed to be this month but nothing yet. It's Sony though. Remember how long it took to get their DSD servers out to market after the big announcement last summer. I've tried doing some searches but nothing concrete comes up.
post #185 of 228 Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 135
So is this format going anywhere or is it already a lost cause? I have to confess I knew nothing about it until today. As usual I was looking for one thing and that search lead to another and I ran across some online articles from last year about it and came to AVS to learn more. I've read through this thread and don't see much encouraging here. I only saw four or five titles on Amazon, though I see there are more available outside of the US.

The only thing that sounds appealing to me about the format are titles that have been remastered with a multi-channel offering. I don't have an SACD player but would like to hear PF's DSoTM in 5.1 some day. The only BD offering I could find of this is what is included in the "Immersion" box-set and I'm not sure I want to buy the whole set for that.

Any recommendations for 5.1 and/or other multi-channel remasters that are well done and worthwhile purchasing?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #186 of 228 Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My advice would be to start with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road then get Yes's Close To The Edge[that's a good start].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #187 of 228 Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered GYBR and Wiener Philharmoniker, Carlos Kleiber Beethoven: Symphonies Nos.5 & 7, which also had favorable reviews on Amazon. Looking forward to the experience.

post #188 of 228 Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

My advice would be to start with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road then get Yes's Close To The Edge[that's a good start].

Are you sure Close To The Edge has come out in HFPA?
post #189 of 228 Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well,Close to the Edge is out in Blu Ray Audio[HFPA doesn't mean much to me it's all just Blu Ray Audio imho].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #190 of 228 Old 06-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

So is this format going anywhere or is it already a lost cause? I have to confess I knew nothing about it until today. As usual I was looking for one thing and that search lead to another and I ran across some online articles from last year about it and came to AVS to learn more. I've read through this thread and don't see much encouraging here. I only saw four or five titles on Amazon, though I see there are more available outside of the US.

The only thing that sounds appealing to me about the format are titles that have been remastered with a multi-channel offering. I don't have an SACD player but would like to hear PF's DSoTM in 5.1 some day. The only BD offering I could find of this is what is included in the "Immersion" box-set and I'm not sure I want to buy the whole set for that.

Any recommendations for 5.1 and/or other multi-channel remasters that are well done and worthwhile purchasing?
It's not quite a lost cause yet but it's getting there. Releases have been sporadic, and have been poorly marketed particulary here in the USA. Downloads were promised for every disc but they have been problematic to obtain, and have not been offered for every disc. The HFPA group has offered up a piss poor excuse stating that it licensed a 2nd party for the downloads and cannot be held responsible. They have been working since March to fix it but have not had any success. They do not reply to emails on the subject. There is no info on who did the supposed remasters or where they might have come from. 5.1 mixes are the exception not the norm. On the plus side some of the discs sound really good. However no one knows what to expect from the Sony releases and there is a lot of confusion around the Who's Quadrophenia. There is a live version and a HFPA version pictured on Amazon with a lot of info on the live version and no info on the HFPA version. The HFPA disc has the studio album cover but whether the tracks are the same 6 or 7 tracks that were mixed in 5.1 DVD Audio for the special box set from a few years back or the whole album remixed to 5.1 is not clear. And as you have found out for yourself including a blu ray disc in a box set is starting to become somewhat standard. There are the Pink Floyd sets, Van Morrison's Moondance set, and there is an upcoming Bob Marley remastered Legend special edition which will include a 5.1 mix on a blu ray but you have to again buy the set to get it. Legend is also out on a HFPA disc in 2 channel format. There is hope though. Yes has a couple of blu ray audio discs out that are stand alone 5.1 mixes, and there is the up coming Allman Bros Fillmore blu ray set that supposedly features all 4 shows from the weekend in March 1971 that the original was taken from. As for some that are worth buying I would go for Beck's Sea Change. There is also a 5.1 blu ray of Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes which is really good and includes some extras and there is Patricia Barbers Medium Cool. Neither of these are from the HFPA group. Sorry for being so long winded.
post #191 of 228 Old 06-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

Well,Close to the Edge is out in Blu Ray Audio[HFPA doesn't mean much to me it's all just Blu Ray Audio imho].
I get your point but this is the HFPA thread. Just tends to make things confusing when everything is lumped together. IMHO.
post #192 of 228 Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Sorry for being so long winded.
Not at all. Thanks for the info and your thoughts.

post #193 of 228 Old 06-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

I'm listening to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in 5.1 DTS-HDMA and loving it! Very cool remix in surround sound and truly HiFi. I'd definitely buy other BDs that have this kind of presentation.

I tried to download the album from the hfpa site and it gave me George Michael Symphonica!?! WTF!?! A quick search leads me to believe I'm not alone in this error. I put in a ticket so I'll see what happens but has anybody else here experienced this and subsequently been able to download the correct album? I bought it to have the download in my NAS and play on my iPhone too, so I hope so. I purchased it from an Amazon 3rd party so I found out I'm not eligible for their AutoRip either. Guess I'll click on the "fine print" link the next time. rolleyes.gif

post #194 of 228 Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I'm listening to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in 5.1 DTS-HDMA and loving it! Very cool remix in surround sound and truly HiFi. I'd definitely buy other BDs that have this kind of presentation.

I tried to download the album from the hfpa site and it gave me George Michael Symphonica!?! WTF!?! A quick search leads me to believe I'm not alone in this error. I put in a ticket so I'll see what happens but has anybody else here experienced this and subsequently been able to download the correct album? I bought it to have the download in my NAS and play on my iPhone too, so I hope so. I purchased it from an Amazon 3rd party so I found out I'm not eligible for their AutoRip either. Guess I'll click on the "fine print" link the next time. rolleyes.gif
I've bought a few of my HFPA discs from Amazon and have not gotten the AutoRip feature either. Not sure if it's available for blu ray audio discs but I know it's not automatic on every audio purchase. I've also had problems getting the downloads that come with some of the discs and so far have gotten no response from the HFPA oeople. Frustrating. Agree on GYBR really nice 5.1 mix and like the fact that everything is on one disc, unlike my SACD version.
post #195 of 228 Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd be very surprised if the HFPAs show up as Autorips on Amazon. Some of my CDs don't have it either and occasionally a song or two will be missing from a CD. It's all about licensing.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #196 of 228 Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

I'd be very surprised if the HFPAs show up as Autorips on Amazon. Some of my CDs don't have it either and occasionally a song or two will be missing from a CD. It's all about licensing.

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Anniversary-Blu-Ray/dp/B00I48RA76/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1402418106&sr=1-1&keywords=goodbye+yellow+brick+road+blu+ray+audio

They clearly indicate this title has AutoRip, I just didn't know at the time that I had to purchase it from Amazon.com and not of the their other sellers to take advantage of that.

post #197 of 228 Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I can confirm that Amazon UK have automatically uploaded 'MP3 file versions' of most (if not all) of the audio CD's and Blu-ray audio discs I've purchased from them up-to my 'Amazon Cloud Player'. And some of the purchases date back at least five years.

That said.... I've never, ever used it wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #198 of 228 Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm surprised. eek.gif

I've ordered seven HFPAs from Amazon and none have Autorip. I didn't get the GBYBR HFPA as I already have the SACD. Good news for me the Quadrophenia I have pre-ordered says it has it. I use the cloud player occasionally on my phone and iPad.

Looking a little closer on Amazon and the only two HFPAs I see with Autorip are GBYBR and Quadrophenia.

Tom

post #199 of 228 Old 06-10-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Well here's the weird...

When I bought the HFPA version of 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' from Amazons web site, not only did I get the main album version uploaded to my 'Amazon Cloud Player' in .mp3 , I also received access to re-recorded versions of some of the tracks by other artists!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #200 of 228 Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Well here's the weird...

When I bought the HFPA version of 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' from Amazons web site, not only did I get the main album version uploaded to my 'Amazon Cloud Player' in .mp3 , I also received access to re-recorded versions of some of the tracks by other artists!
[hmm] I'm beginning to think there is neither rhyme nor reason!

I pre-ordered The Who "Quadrophenia - Live in London" HFPA from Amazon the other day. There has been much debate on other forums if this is actually the live or remixed studio version of the album. Amazon has still not indicated when it will be shipped to me, though today was the advertised released date. Interestingly the AutoRip showed up in my Amazon Cloud today and clearly is the live version after a quick check. Just waiting to see what shows up when the disc arrives. rolleyes.gif

post #201 of 228 Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I tried to download the album from the hfpa site and it gave me George Michael Symphonica!?! WTF!?! A quick search leads me to believe I'm not alone in this error. I put in a ticket so I'll see what happens but has anybody else here experienced this and subsequently been able to download the correct album? [/IMG]
I never heard back from them, however, on a whim I decided to check the HFPA site today and lo and behold, the GYBR download is there.
acebreathe likes this.

post #202 of 228 Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post
 Good news for me the Quadrophenia I have pre-ordered says it has it. I use the cloud player occasionally on my phone and iPad.
I don't know if you checked your Amazon Cloud Player yet but the Quadrophenia download showed up on mine on the advertised release date of 6/10, however, it is the Live in London download. Amazon has changed the listing of the disc to now indicate it's the Studio version in 5.1 as suspected. I contacted Amazon through chat and let them know they provided the wrong download for the album. Much to their credit they gave me an mp3 credit for the cost of a download. I'm going to drag my feet and see if there will eventually be a remastered download offered of the Studio album.

post #203 of 228 Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't see any Quad on my phone but I got all the Prime music now.

Tom

post #204 of 228 Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

While they aren't Pure Audio Blu-rays (so perhaps off-topic for this thread), for starters I would recommend checking out the following Blu-ray Audio discs.... Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing, Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning, Tom Petty - MoJo, Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes, Yes - The Yes Album, Yes - Close To The Edge. These all have multi-channel versions included on the disc.
post #205 of 228 Old 06-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post
Don't see any Quad on my phone but I got all the Prime music now.
Thanks for the heads up on Prime music. When did that start?
Quote:
FLCanuck

for starters I would recommend checking out the following Blu-ray Audio discs....

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by DocCasualty; 06-13-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #206 of 228 Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you are interested in 5.1/Quad music then get on over to QuadraphonicQuad forum where there's lots of info on past, present and future releases across all formats:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forum.php
post #207 of 228 Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Csny 1974

Anyone heard how the quality might be on the upcoming CSNY 1974 set? See link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MZ3AAEHZBDL46U
post #208 of 228 Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's TV View Post
Anyone heard how the quality might be on the upcoming CSNY 1974 set? See link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MZ3AAEHZBDL46U

I saw them on that tour, it looks very interesting. I've never heard about it. Maybe Warners is finally releasing their long delayed HFPA discs. OTOH, is doesn't say HFPA and it's listed as 192/24. So far, HFPA has just been re-releases of existing stuff.

Edit: If you have lots of time read this. I'm sure all the info is in there somewhere.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...july-8.354755/

There's also a super deluxe box.

http://www.csnydeluxe.com/

Last edited by ti-triodes; 06-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.
post #209 of 228 Old 07-05-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if you checked your Amazon Cloud Player yet but the Quadrophenia download showed up on mine on the advertised release date of 6/10, however, it is the Live in London download. Amazon has changed the listing of the disc to now indicate it's the Studio version in 5.1 as suspected. I contacted Amazon through chat and let them know they provided the wrong download for the album. Much to their credit they gave me an mp3 credit for the cost of a download. I'm going to drag my feet and see if there will eventually be a remastered download offered of the Studio album.
Just got my shipping notice for Quadrophenia. Still not in my cloud though.

Tom

post #210 of 228 Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have the George Michael Symphonica HFPA? It's one of the stereo only discs with 2.0 PCM, DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD options. The Dolby and PCM tracks are fine, but when I use the DTS option, my Pioneer SC-61 switches to Neo 6 Cinema. Weird. Anyone else notice this?
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page