post #241 of 252 Old 12-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I'd love to hear some impressions of COTC. The only reviews I've seen so far mention it's very bass heavy.
I just received this today and it doesn't sound bass heavy to me at all. I own multiple copies of this album:

• original U.S. vinyl
  • original U.K. vinyl
  • MFSL vinyl
  • Speakers Corner vinyl
  • CD
The vinyl copies are generally of "demo disc" quality. One of the best sounding rock albums in my collection. With the U.K. original and Speakers Corner versions being my favorites.

I do like this Blu-ray version and consider it better than the CD. I always felt the CD version lacked the dynamic range of the best LP versions. There are parts of the music where I prefer the mastering of the LP's to the Blu-ray, but the differences aren't big.

In summary, I'm pleased with it.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post
I just received this today and it doesn't sound bass heavy to me at all. I own multiple copies of this album:

• original U.S. vinyl
  • original U.K. vinyl
  • MFSL vinyl
  • Speakers Corner vinyl
  • CD
The vinyl copies are generally of "demo disc" quality. One of the best sounding rock albums in my collection. With the U.K. original and Speakers Corner versions being my favorites.

I do like this Blu-ray version and consider it better than the CD. I always felt the CD version lacked the dynamic range of the best LP versions. There are parts of the music where I prefer the mastering of the LP's to the Blu-ray, but the differences aren't big.

In summary, I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for your impressions. I just read some reviews at SHF and they're all over the place, like usual. Agreed about the vinyl. It was always audiophile quality with good solid bass. I have the US and MFSL UHQR and the bass is extremely strong. Maybe the digital has finally caught up with the vinyl? That could explain why some people have mentioned the bass.
I wish I could find a Speakers Corner that didn't cost the same as a month's rent.
post #243 of 252 Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Provided your amplifier is set to 'pass-through' or 'direct'. There's no reason I can think of why a surround sound amplifier would handle a 2-channel or multi-channel bit-stream differently...
Just had a chance to check my receiver, and it's set for stream direct like I had thought. This gives me pass through but allows me to run my subs so I can listen to stereo in 2.2. I even tried pure direct which knocks out the subs and I still get Neo 6: Cinema for the DTS 2.0 codec and Pro Logic II: Movies when I select Dolby TrueHD 2.0. Weird.
post #244 of 252 Old 12-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Thanks for your impressions. I just read some reviews at SHF and they're all over the place, like usual. Agreed about the vinyl. It was always audiophile quality with good solid bass. I have the US and MFSL UHQR and the bass is extremely strong. Maybe the digital has finally caught up with the vinyl? That could explain why some people have mentioned the bass.
I wish I could find a Speakers Corner that didn't cost the same as a month's rent.
I've always found the CD version to be a bit "thin" compared to the vinyl versions. So the Blu-ray sounds right to me. Maybe those who find the Blu-ray bass heavy prefer the CD version.

I didn't realize the SC version of this LP has gone up in price IMO an original U.K pressing sounds every bit as good as the Speakers Corner version. You can probably find a fairly cheap original U.K. version. Supertramp LP's don't seem to have appreciated in price the way some other artists have.
ti-triodes likes this.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #245 of 252 Old 12-15-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
I wanted to mention something that's happening on this and a couple other HFPAs I have...I've only noticed this on discs that are stereo only with the 3 audio options of pcm, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master. My source is an Oppo 103 running HDMI to a Pioneer Elite SC61. When I choose the DTS option, the receiver shows Neo 6, and when I choose Dolby, the receiver shows ProLogic II Movies. PCM works fine. I've had a similar experience with the HFPA Symphonica from George Michael and others, but never one in MC. Has anyone else had this happen?
I finally had a chance to listen to a stereo HFPA disc. I'm having the same issue as you only worse. When I switch audio it does go to PLIIx for both DTS and TrueHD. But I can get it to stereo by toggling the stereo/direct button. The issue I'm having is that when I switched audio modes through the 103 I lost audio several times. I powered off the 103 and still no audio with the HFPA disc (Stones Grrrr!). I had to change inputs on my Denon 4311 to get audio back. I just tried switching audio and I lost audio again. It took a number of input changes with the 4311 and powering off the 103 to get audio back.

This is crazy! I firmly believe it is an issue with this particular HFPA disc. I have a number of other Blu-ray audio discs and I've had no issues like this when switching audio modes with the 103. I might email Oppo to see if other 103/105 owners have reported the same issue.

Edit: I was just reading the Grrr! thread and others were having issues with audio on that disc. What corrected the issue is changing the HDMI Audio setting from Bitstream to LPCM in the menu of the 103. Once I did that I can switch audio formats without losing audio. It seems this is an issue with this HFPA disc. I prefer Bitstream so the audio codec will show on the display of the 4311. But when listening to Grrr! I'll switch it to LPCM.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 12-15-2014 at 04:12 PM.
post #246 of 252 Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post
I've always found the CD version to be a bit "thin" compared to the vinyl versions. So the Blu-ray sounds right to me. Maybe those who find the Blu-ray bass heavy prefer the CD version.

I didn't realize the SC version of this LP has gone up in price IMO an original U.K pressing sounds every bit as good as the Speakers Corner version. You can probably find a fairly cheap original U.K. version. Supertramp LP's don't seem to have appreciated in price the way some other artists have.

Thanks for the tip. I always loved the MFSL. The bass is absolutely earth shattering. I know about the MFSL smiley face EQ that the flat earthers have fits about, but I never cared. OTOH, it can't hurt to give a different mastering a try.
post #247 of 252 Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I finally had a chance to listen to a stereo HFPA disc. I'm having the same issue as you only worse. When I switch audio it does go to PLIIx for both DTS and TrueHD. But I can get it to stereo by toggling the stereo/direct button. The issue I'm having is that when I switched audio modes through the 103 I lost audio several times. I powered off the 103 and still no audio with the HFPA disc (Stones Grrrr!). I had to change inputs on my Denon 4311 to get audio back. I just tried switching audio and I lost audio again. It took a number of input changes with the 4311 and powering off the 103 to get audio back.

This is crazy! I firmly believe it is an issue with this particular HFPA disc. I have a number of other Blu-ray audio discs and I've had no issues like this when switching audio modes with the 103. I might email Oppo to see if other 103/105 owners have reported the same issue.

Edit: I was just reading the Grrr! thread and others were having issues with audio on that disc. What corrected the issue is changing the HDMI Audio setting from Bitstream to LPCM in the menu of the 103. Once I did that I can switch audio formats without losing audio. It seems this is an issue with this HFPA disc. I prefer Bitstream so the audio codec will show on the display of the 4311. But when listening to Grrr! I'll switch it to LPCM.

Bill
Thanks for checking Bill. Moving from bitstream to LPCM does fix things, though I'd rather not have to switch over just for a couple of discs. I've checked all of mine (a dozen HFPAs or so) and my issues are just with the Nat King Cole and George Michael discs. I'd tried ti's suggestions posted on the other thread (deep color off, BD live off and erase persistent storage) but it didn't help for these two discs. Not really a big deal, the pcm stereo option from the disc menu works fine on these two.
post #248 of 252 Old 12-16-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for checking Bill. Moving from bitstream to LPCM does fix things, though I'd rather not have to switch over just for a couple of discs. I've checked all of mine (a dozen HFPAs or so) and my issues are just with the Nat King Cole and George Michael discs. I'd tried ti's suggestions posted on the other thread (deep color off, BD live off and erase persistent storage) but it didn't help for these two discs. Not really a big deal, the pcm stereo option from the disc menu works fine on these two.

One thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes a player reset helps when clearing the PS. The only time the PS fix doesn't work is when there are authoring problems with the disc. Not surprising since we are talking about the wretched HFPA program.
post #249 of 252 Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes a player reset helps when clearing the PS. The only time the PS fix doesn't work is when there are authoring problems with the disc. Not surprising since we are talking about the wretched HFPA program.
I have a couple other blu ray players at home that played the Nat King Cole HFPA fine, so it seems to be the Oppo/HFPA combo...
post #250 of 252 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a couple other blu ray players at home that played the Nat King Cole HFPA fine, so it seems to be the Oppo/HFPA combo...

Interesting. You may way want to contact Oppo about this. It may be something that can be corrected in the next FW update.
post #251 of 252 Old Today, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill
I may go the route ti suggested and contact Oppo, maybe this weekend. Have you decided to do the same Bill? I think I'll get my ducks in a row first and go over all my stereo HFPAs again. So far it's the George Michael and Nat King Cole discs, but I could have sworn I had another, perhaps the Lionel Ritchie one. If I contact them, I'll post here and perhaps the Oppo 103 thread.

Bill
post #252 of 252 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
I may go the route ti suggested and contact Oppo, maybe this weekend. Have you decided to do the same Bill? I think I'll get my ducks in a row first and go over all my stereo HFPAs again. So far it's the George Michael and Nat King Cole discs, but I could have sworn I had another, perhaps the Lionel Ritchie one. If I contact them, I'll post here and perhaps the Oppo 103 thread.

Bill
Bill,

When I get a chance later today I'll send Oppo an email about the issue I had with the Grrr! HFPA. They might have already been contacted about issues with the HFPAs but it doesn't hurt to let them know my experiences. I'll post here with any response from Oppo.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page