High Fidelity Pure Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 232 Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may already have been mentioned, but for those audiophiles who have yet to experience this value for money, the uncompressed 24-bit sound quality is truly impressive (even better considering the minor difference in price between this and the ordinary CD format).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-GRRR-Blu-Ray-Audio/dp/B009X1SZFO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1369741663&sr=1-1&keywords=grrr+high+fidelity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 232 Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/04/high-fidelity-pure-audio/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Engadget%29

Saw this yesterday...
post #3 of 232 Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
What's the advantage(s), besides marketing, over 24/96 PCM which we've had for quite some time?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 232 Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

What's the advantage(s), besides marketing, over 24/96 PCM which we've had for quite some time?

Instant playback compared to DVDA menus. More titles mainly. Breakfast In America has never been released in hirez. More people have bluray players than sacd and DVDA players so better chance of popularity...
post #5 of 232 Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Instant playback compared to DVDA menus. More titles mainly. Breakfast In America has never been released in hirez. More people have bluray players than sacd and DVDA players so better chance of popularity...

Do a search before plopping money down on these things. The reviews are mixed, to say the least. BIA is especially controversial. And if the other discs screw up my Oppo like GRRR did, I'm going to stay away.
post #6 of 232 Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I originally posted this list in the GRRR thread but it makes more sense here. These are the initial releases.

Bob Marley & The Wailers Legend 600753423790
Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman 600753429990
Derek & The Dominos Layla And Other Assorted Love Song 600753406373
Diana Krall The Look Of Love 602537316670
Eddy Mitchell Grand Ecran 600753424216
Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong Ella & Louis / Ella & Louis Again 602537349807
Hélène Grimaud, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Esa-Pekka Salonen Corigliano / Beethoven / Pärt "Credo" 28947910558
Jacques Brel Les Marquises 602537250493
Jacques Brel Ne Me Quitte Pas 602537250585
John Coltrane A Love Supreme (Deluxe Edition) 602537356638
Johnny Hallyday Rock N' Roll Attitude 602537249824
Johnny Hallyday Sang Pour Sang 602537249831
Jonas Kaufmann, Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin, Donald Runnicles Wagner 28947856788
Miles Davis Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud 602537265169
MYLENE FARMER Monkey me 602537228072
Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You 602537356621
Noir Désir Tostaky 602537267620
Oscar Peterson Night Train 602537317660
Pierre Henry Messe pour le temps présent 602537287789
Quincy Jones Big Band Bossa Nova 602537317646
Rolando Villazón, Orchestra del Teatro Regio di Torino, Gianandrea Noseda Villazón - Verdi 28947917083
Serge Gainsbourg Histoire De Melody Nelson 602537249992
Serge Gainsbourg Aux Armes Et Caetera 1979 602537249893
Stan Getz, João Gilberto Getz/Gilberto 602537317677
Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life 600753406403
Supertramp Breakfast In America 600753429983
The Velvet Underground, Nico The Velvet Underground & Nico 600753429976
Wiener Philharmoniker, Carlos Kleiber Beethoven: Symphonies Nos.5 & 7 28947911067
Zazie La Zizanie 602537249916
post #7 of 232 Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
If the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) does make some format extensions later this year to enable 4K content playback on Blu-ray, it's likely they will revise|extend the BD audio formats as well. After we see the results of the BDA's deliberations, the proponents of High Fidelity Pure Audio (HFPA) BDs will have a chance to make whatever specs are planned for the future the basis for a "must have" audio product . . . Not holding my breath! cool.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #8 of 232 Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

In this June 21, 2013, WHAT HI*FI? article, "High Fidelity Pure Audio format brings hi-res audio to Blu-ray" (link), we learn that the decision to market this product was apparently based on a careful and precise analysis of the target marketplace, (viz):
Quote:
"According to research undertaken by Universal's Insight Team last year, the proprtion of music consumers who said they were fairly/very/extremely likely to buy a high-definition audio product within the following six months ranged from 21% (UK) to 32% (US)."

And I for one certainly can't argue with the credibility of those numbers! biggrin.gifcool.gifeek.gif
_

"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #9 of 232 Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:

I do not see why new specification is needed. You can author BD disk with blank video (or slide show, whuch is more useful) and instant payback using existing specs. Only reason could be to add an option download mp3/aac/whatever for portable use.
post #10 of 232 Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I do not see why new specification is needed. You can author BD disk with blank video (or slide show, whuch is more useful) and instant payback using existing specs. Only reason could be to add an option download mp3/aac/whatever for portable use.

The High Fidelity Pure Audio (HFPA) Group appears to be following a similar strategy to that developed by pureaudio (link) which permits switching between several synched versions of the same recording . . . the RED GREEN BLUE and YELLOW buttons on the BD remote are used for selection in pureaudio's proprietary technology.

Some examples of what has been done with the pureaudio technology: SOUVENIR by TrondheimSolistene on the 2L label (link) and Portrait by Joseph Haydn on the MDG label (link) each offer significantly different (playback) versions of the same recordings, as the respective BD back covers show:

SOUVENIR by TrondheimSolistene...

Portrait by Joseph Haydn...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

HFPA disk use of both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA encodes in addition to the PCM track provides the opportunity for the BD to include separately optimized|encoded recordings for each one's subsequent post processor expansion using (currently) PLIIz and Neo:X (and the speaker remapping functionality in DTS HDMA would also offer some|minimal additional value to owners of the few AVRs presently equipped to take advantage of it). However, whether artists and labels choose to make use of the options for innovation offered by this new-ish medium remains to be seen . . . plus pricing strategies versus existing|alternative delivery platforms for the same source content, and questionable consumer interest would seem to be equally important unknowns!
_

post #11 of 232 Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think it is unneeded complexity. They can use existing multitrack feature in TS container, just like in multilanguage supported in movies. I feel someone simply want a new source of income from licensing new feature with zero value to consumers.
post #12 of 232 Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I think it is unneeded complexity. They can use existing multitrack feature in TS container, just like in multilanguage supported in movies. I feel someone simply want a new source of income from licensing new feature with zero value to consumers.

I'm under the impression that the biggest "technology change" for the HFPA BDs was changing the jewel box color from blue to silver...?! Did I miss something somewhere?
_

post #13 of 232 Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

PCM isn't limited to DVD-A. And, it's already been determined that there is no real market for hi-rez music.

And speaking of hi-rez music, here's an interesting read: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Maybe the masses figured this out on their own.... smile.gif

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #14 of 232 Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And, it's already been determined that there is no real market for hi-rez music.

Amazon co uk has The Rolling Stones: GRRR! on HFPA BD (link) priced about the same as the equivalent 50 track 3 CD set or mp3 complete download (and I believe I read that "most" HFPA BDs will "include" FLAC or mp3 downloads matching the BD track listing, although that does not appear to be the case for GRRR!).

If that pricing strategy holds true in the US, we might want to consider the HFPA BD not as simply a new hi res audio competitor, but more as an intended replacement for CD together with all existing "high resolution" physical media formats (DVD-A, SACD) . . . plus provision of a 'convenience' mp3|FLAC download . . . "all for one low price"...?! cool.gif

Nonetheless, I think it more likely that most HFPA BD releases will be priced significantly higher than the equivalent CD versions they appear intended to replace... eek.gif
_

post #15 of 232 Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 AM

Replace CDs? Not gonna happen. My guess is that there's some sort of licensing involved with this new packaging of the audio. And that means somebody wants to make $$$ when they have nothing to do with the content.

I was looking for info on licensing, but found this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2013/07/02/the-high-fidelity-pure-audio-disc-the-stillborn-format/

post #16 of 232 Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting July 16, 2013 article on DVD-and-beyond com (link):
Quote:
"Backers of the Pure Audio Blu-ray format convened in Berlin on 5 July to establish the Pure Audio Group, a non-profit cross-industry body whose objective is to coordinate the marketing efforts behind the worldwide promotion of the high-definition audio disc. [ . . . ]

The Berlin meeting took place one month after the gathering organised by the backers of Universal Music-inspired High Fidelity Pure Audio format. The High Fidelity Pure Audio Group set up in London promotes a concept that departs on some technical aspects from those designed by the Pure Audio Group. DVD and Beyond understands that early promising harmonization discussions fell through.
"

Also as reported in AUDIO MEDIA com (link):
Quote:
"Founding meeting of the Pure Audio Group takes place

On 5 July 2013, a constitution meeting of the Pure Audio Group, initially conceived at Midem 2013, took place in Berlin. [ . . . ]

In addition to the official founding of the Pure Audio Group, the attending members also agreed on a unified Pure Audio Standard with an operating concept that is distinctively described in the AES 21ID specifications, published by the Audio Engineering Society in 2011. The standard also conforms to all Blu-ray Disc specifications. [ . . . ]
"

Since both strategies use media|hardware compliant with BDA specifications, there would appear to be no opportunity for a hardware-based format war . . . which has been the recent traditional way to create public awareness of a nascent entertainment medium. However, absent that option, it seems the non-profit Pure Audio Group (link) and Universal Music's High Fidelity Pure Audio Group have elected a software-based|user-interface format war instead! eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif

( No extra points for confusing the names of the two organizations! mad.gif )
_

post #17 of 232 Old 07-17-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Replace CDs? Not gonna happen. My guess is that there's some sort of licensing involved with this new packaging of the audio. And that means somebody wants to make $$$ when they have nothing to do with the content.

I was looking for info on licensing, but found this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2013/07/02/the-high-fidelity-pure-audio-disc-the-stillborn-format/

The usual media drivel about the death of physical media. As much as the corporations want to get rid of of disc based media- and charge us for every time we want to get something online - it's not going to happen anytime soon. I don't think the new HFPA will make any traction, seeing how BD audio is such a flop. The article is right about one thing. Most people don't care about audio quality.

There will be a market for the small percentage of us that do care, however. We proved that we'll buy expensive boxsets and replace albums countless times. And they'll keep making discs as long as they can squeeze us.biggrin.gif
post #18 of 232 Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

The usual media drivel about the death of physical media. As much as the corporations want to get rid of of disc based media- and charge us for every time we want to get something online - it's not going to happen anytime soon. I don't think the new HFPA will make any traction, seeing how BD audio is such a flop. The article is right about one thing. Most people don't care about audio quality.

There will be a market for the small percentage of us that do care, however. We proved that we'll buy expensive boxsets and replace albums countless times. And they'll keep making discs as long as they can squeeze us.biggrin.gif

I'm living proof of all of the above and I consider myself selective. sniff!
You have to put the media drivel into context.
Yeah, the mass market hasn't a clue and even if they did they wouldn't care and really never have.
Too long to go into here but in my world, hi-res is alive and well whatever the format.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #19 of 232 Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Yes. We are very lucky that some people cater to the niche markets!

post #20 of 232 Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Yeah, the mass market hasn't a clue and even if they did they wouldn't care and really never have.
Too long to go into here but in my world, hi-res is alive and well whatever the format.

Quote:

Yes. We are very lucky that some people cater to the niche markets!

My neighbors all think I'm nuts. Playing around with that stereo stuff. Yuk!
post #21 of 232 Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Do a search before plopping money down on these things. The reviews are mixed, to say the least. BIA is especially controversial. And if the other discs screw up my Oppo like GRRR did, I'm going to stay away.

How did a disc screw up your Oppo? GRRR plays great on my Oppo
post #22 of 232 Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

How did a disc screw up your Oppo? GRRR plays great on my Oppo

It played fine the first three times I played it on my 95, then it froze up completely. This happened on GRRR and the BD-A of Zeppelin's Celebration Day, so it may be the BD audio format. I don't have enough BD-A discs to test that theory. I "fixed" it by clearing Persistent Storage and did a reset, though I expect it to happen again if I play them a lot.
post #23 of 232 Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

It played fine the first three times I played it on my 95, then it froze up completely. This happened on GRRR and the BD-A of Zeppelin's Celebration Day, so it may be the BD audio format. I don't have enough BD-A discs to test that theory. I "fixed" it by clearing Persistent Storage and did a reset, though I expect it to happen again if I play them a lot.

Ok I understand now, I doubt it's a BD-A issue as I have the Concert of Paul McCartney's Rockshow and it has audio drop outs and Oppo said clear persistent storage which fixed the issue i now just leave persistent storage turned off.
post #24 of 232 Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

Ok I understand now, I doubt it's a BD-A issue as I have the Concert of Paul McCartney's Rockshow and it has audio drop outs and Oppo said clear persistent storage which fixed the issue i now just leave persistent storage turned off.

That's the big three with Oppo if there's a problem. Check firmware, clear PS and do a reset. Thanks for clearing it up, and the idea of turning off PS.
post #25 of 232 Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

There is word that Queen's A Night At The Opera will be the next release in this series and it will be in 5.1. They will also start distributing these in the US soon.
post #26 of 232 Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
post #27 of 232 Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Additional releases announced.

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Queen - Night at the Opera
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Nirvana - Nevermind
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down

No info if any others are 5.1, but if Exile is, I better put in some more overtime!
acebreathe and dimi1963 like this.
post #28 of 232 Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

No info if any others are 5.1, but if Exile is, I better put in some more overtime!
If Exile is, I'll eat Sweet Virginia's shoes. Zero chance.

"MMMM,Snout!"---Homer Simpson
post #29 of 232 Old 08-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geller View Post

If Exile is, I'll eat Sweet Virginia's shoes. Zero chance.
Have to agree. All of the special editions from a couple of years back and none of them were in hi rez if I remember correctly but it would be sweet if we did get MCH. Not holding my breathe though.
post #30 of 232 Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You'll also get the awful 2009 mastering,the same as the Exile tracks on GRRR.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page