flac files made wrong? Is it possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible that a flac file could be made incorrectly? Or, if I have a flac file, I can rest easy it's actually lossless.

I want to start the process of replacing my MP3's with flacs, just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 233
If it plays back OK in your player of choice, then its OK.
FLAC is by nature lossless.

That said, there's no real justification for converting MP3 to FLAC, you gain nothing.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that's good to know.

No, I'm not going to convert. I'm going to get all new flacs.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 233
File sizes are comparable with FLAC vs high bitrate MP3, but FLAC is lossless and MP3 is not.

There have been issues with some FLAC downloads from some web sites not playing on some players, but it usually has to do with tagging. You can easily decode and encode FLAC on your PC with the FLAC codecs installed. So if any file gives problems, just decode and re-encode and it should be good. Ripping CDs to FLAC is a breeze with Foobar2000, most people like MP3Tag for tagging but Foobar can do it too.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 12
You already understand that FLAC is inherently a lossless format, so a lossy FLAC is kind of a contradition in terms. However, it is possible to pick up transcription or ripping errors during the ripping process from CD. This could happen if the CD has scratches, or if your CD drive is overzealous in its error correction. If you have a disk that's heavily scratched, though, your FLAC file will only be as good as the confidence with which you can read the CD. In other words, sometimes you may be forced to use error correction or an interpolation method to "fill in" unreadable bits. In that case, you could say that the resulting FLAC file is "incorrect," but it's still not a lossy file like an MP3.

If you want to ensure you're getting a bit-perfect rip of your CDs, you'll want to use software like dbPoweramp. They use methods like comparing the checksum from your rip to their database of known CDs, and/or riping each track multiple times and checking for discrepancies. I used dbPoweramp to rip my CD collection to FLAC, and I was thankful for the additional confidence that I wasn't introducing any new errors into my digital library. Still, I know I have a few songs with pops or skips because the source CD was too far gone. I'm working replacing those CDs... :-)
post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Natros, I ripped some of my CDs to flac a few years ago using dbPoweramp, I really felt confident. It was on Windows XP and I probably need to get it again for windows 7, not even sure if I still have the old copy around anyways.

Thanks for clearing that up Natros, sometimes you get an mp3 in high bitrate, but it's junk quality becuase of the way it was ripped. Just was wondering if the same was possible with flac.

That said, can anyone message me an invite to what.cd or waffles? I'd really appriciate it.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimray View Post

Is it possible that a flac file could be made incorrectly? Or, if I have a flac file, I can rest easy it's actually lossless.

I want to start the process of replacing my MP3's with flacs, just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Thanks.

A FLAC file is a lossless representation of the source. If your source was an MP3, the FLAC file resulting from encoding it will be 100% identical to the unpacked (decoded) waveform of the MP3 file.

Usually, the tell-tale is looking at the frequency response graph of an audio file, the MP3 will not have as wide a response as its FLAC counterpart (if they are both encoded from the same source).

The source can also make a huge difference, not all CDs are created equal (mainly AAD vs DDD or even ADD).

And unless you have a log provided with the files (that is, you didn't rip the CD yourself) there is no way to be 100% sure the FLAC was not encoded from an MP3.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page