Yes Close to the Edge Hi-Res 5.1 Coming in October 2013 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 119 Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for info. fellas. I have it in my cart ready to go.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Don't forget to check Amazon.co.uk for things like this. CTTE DVD-A was $2 cheaper than Amazon and you would have had it a week or so ago.

larry

I will certainly be doing that in the future. rolleyes.gif
post #93 of 119 Old 11-29-2013, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, I finally got my dvd-a and I've been so overjoyed w/ repeated listens (and then other listens to similar classic rock gems motivated by the genius of this release) that I haven't really been online for over 2 weeks. To say that I'm happy is an understatement. To have a MCH version of my favorite album has long been a dream; it's realization was a revelation. For over 35 years and hundreds of listens to this album, I have never experienced it as fully as the surround release. The details are amazing, the vocals really pop (those 3 part harmonies surrounding me are just heavenly) and the sense of immersion is incredible. The soundscape SW creates w/ the many layers inherent in this music is thick, dynamic and intense; being inside this music is akin to being inside a breathing organism (or is that orgasm???). The structure SW creates with these sounds reinforces the already incredible imagery of the words and music. Couldn't be happier!
scolumbo likes this.
post #94 of 119 Old 11-29-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Where's JimWinVA?
He should be ecstatic that CTTE has started shipping.

I was happy when it started shipping- the ecstasy came when I actually got to hear it. So ecstatic that I couldn't stop listening long enough to come online and talk about it. I NEVER listen to the same album 2 times in a row or multiple times in a day for multiple days, but that is what happened upon receiving this "manna from above."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

He might of got over excited while playing it, feinted and hit his head on one of his surround sound speakers eek.gif

Close... Overexcited, yes, but no feinting- just fascination.
post #95 of 119 Old 11-29-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I've listened to the CTTE 5.1 mix of the Blu-ray several times and I have to admit I'm not blown away by it. My first version of CTTE was the AF SACD and I enjoy listening to it. I think maybe I'm just not a fan of this album. I'm going to give it another listen tomorrow to see if it will grow on me.

Bill

So- has it grown on you yet? I would think that if you enjoyed it in 2 channel, you would like it better in 5.1, since you're not a stereo-only guy. To me, the incredible layering of this album makes it perfect for surround treatment and I think SW used those layers very effectively in his mix.
post #96 of 119 Old 11-29-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Or he got his copy and took the month off.

Am I Kreskin or what? biggrin.gif

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #97 of 119 Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Am I Kreskin or what? biggrin.gif

Oops- missed that post somehow. Give that man a cigar! (Have a Cigar and then Shine On You Crazy Diamond)
post #98 of 119 Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

I was happy when it started shipping- the ecstasy came when I actually got to hear it. So ecstatic that I couldn't stop listening long enough to come online and talk about it. I NEVER listen to the same album 2 times in a row or multiple times in a day for multiple days, but that is what happened upon receiving this "manna from above."
Close... Overexcited, yes, but no feinting- just fascination.

With the house to myself this morning, I listened to it back-to-back. The surround mix is almost like hearing CTTE for the first time again and having that same sense of incredible amazement and joy at discovering this recording. After waiting all these years and not believing it would ever happen, I had been apprehensive the surround mix couldn't possibly meet my hopes and expectations, but they have been exceeded.

Now, hopefully SW is ready to tackle Tales next.
post #99 of 119 Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

With the house to myself this morning, I listened to it back-to-back. The surround mix is almost like hearing CTTE for the first time again and having that same sense of incredible amazement and joy at discovering this recording. After waiting all these years and not believing it would ever happen, I had been apprehensive the surround mix couldn't possibly meet my hopes and expectations, but they have been exceeded.

Now, hopefully SW is ready to tackle Tales next.

Couldn't agree more w/ everything you said. I can imagine Tales getting this same type of treatment and blossoming to full fruition, maybe getting more of the respect it deserves.
post #100 of 119 Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Couldn't agree more w/ everything you said. I can imagine Tales getting this same type of treatment and blossoming to full fruition, maybe getting more of the respect it deserves.

Tales has never had a decent sounding digital release so it's the one I'm hoping they'll do next. OTOH, they'll probably do Fragile or The Yes Album next, just for the sales potential.

Don't worry, Tales will never get any respect at all! wink.gif
post #101 of 119 Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Tales has never had a decent sounding digital release so it's the one I'm hoping they'll do next. OTOH, they'll probably do Fragile or The Yes Album next, just for the sales potential.

Don't worry, Tales will never get any respect at all! wink.gif

It's funny tho some of the people who like it. Over on SHF I read posts about people who like Yeswest and don't particularly care for "classic" Yes, but they do like Tales. Hard to imagine someone liking Tales but not CttE.

I'd be overjoyed if they did Tales next, but I won't complain whatever they choose: they did CttE first! That was the most important thing for me. I hope they save Fragile for last, since we already have that. Imperfect as it may be- and I have little doubt that SW's version will smoke it- I still enjoy it immensely.

My wishlist would be for this order: Tales; Relayer; GftO; TYA; Tormato (if they do that); then Fragile.

If we get any of the 1st two and/or Drama, those will be bonuses in my book. Personally, I'd rather they do The Ladder before any of those 3, though I know chances of that are slim; I find that album (along w/ Mag) to be highly under-rated. I would also welcome KeysStudio; I think Mind Drive would be great in 5.1. I loved it when they did it live, though disappointed they cut it up and left out big parts of it. Maybe if the 70's albums they do sell really well, we'll get them, though I would think SW would be gone by then. We'd probably get some Yeswest 1st tho; since 90125 was such a huge seller, that'd probably be high on the list.
post #102 of 119 Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's funny tho some of the people who like it. Over on SHF I read posts about people who like Yeswest and don't particularly care for "classic" Yes, but they do like Tales. Hard to imagine someone liking Tales but not CttE.

I'd be overjoyed if they did Tales next, but I won't complain whatever they choose: they did CttE first! That was the most important thing for me. I hope they save Fragile for last, since we already have that. Imperfect as it may be- and I have little doubt that SW's version will smoke it- I still enjoy it immensely.

My wishlist would be for this order: Tales; Relayer; GftO; TYA; Tormato (if they do that); then Fragile.

If we get any of the 1st two and/or Drama, those will be bonuses in my book. Personally, I'd rather they do The Ladder before any of those 3, though I know chances of that are slim; I find that album (along w/ Mag) to be highly under-rated. I would also welcome KeysStudio; I think Mind Drive would be great in 5.1. I loved it when they did it live, though disappointed they cut it up and left out big parts of it. Maybe if the 70's albums they do sell really well, we'll get them, though I would think SW would be gone by then. We'd probably get some Yeswest 1st tho; since 90125 was such a huge seller, that'd probably be high on the list.

I always thought Side 1 of Tales was actually Side 3 of CttE, so I'm surprised when some people say they love CttE and hate Tales. The problem with Tales is the bloat, especially Side 3, but I've even started liking it lately. It only took 40 years. biggrin.gif I have the DVD-A of Fragile which sound good except for JA's vocals, so I'd like it soon. The Yes Album is also long overdue IMO for surround. I can't really pick a strong order after Tales, but the classic stuff should come first. The Ladder would be nice. I'm not so sure about 90125. Image that strong 80's vibe in 5.1. eek.gif

You mentioned the key point about SW. He supposedly only did the first 2 ELP albums because he didn't like the others. I hope he likes more of Yes than ELP! OTOH, there were some rumblings over at SHF that there were other problems . But who really knows, other than the parties involved?
post #103 of 119 Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:

I always thought Side 1 of Tales was actually Side 3 of CttE, so I'm surprised when some people say they love CttE and hate Tales. The problem with Tales is the bloat, especially Side 3, but I've even started liking it lately. It only took 40 years. biggrin.gif I have the DVD-A of Fragile which sound good except for JA's vocals, so I'd like it soon. The Yes Album is also long overdue IMO for surround. I can't really pick a strong order after Tales, but the classic stuff should come first. The Ladder would be nice. I'm not so sure about 90125. Image that strong 80's vibe in 5.1. eek.gif

You mentioned the key point about SW. He supposedly only did the first 2 ELP albums because he didn't like the others. I hope he likes more of Yes than ELP! OTOH, there were some rumblings over at SHF that there were other problems . But who really knows, other than the parties involved?

Tales took a while to click for me, but once it clicked, it all clicked. In some ways, I think side 3 is Yes at their best; very experimental, completely pushing the boundaries, stark contrasts but backed by some great melodies. Leaves of Green is one of the most beautiful passages in the Yes canon, imo. TYA should be awesome in 5.1 as well; I'm looking forward to seeing what SW does w/ Howe's guitar work that bounces around between channels. I'm not particularly looking forward to 90125- they may not even go that far. I just think if they do move beyond the 70's that will be one they do, given it's huge success (which I believe was a real curse for the band in the long run, e.g. I think Squire has been chasing that success ever since).

From what I've read, I think SW will do the 70's Yes albums, but if they continue w/ these releases beyond that, I'd be surprised to see him still involved. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other factors involved w/ him bowing out of the ELP releases, but I'm not really concerned. Gives him more time to do the Yes-work. And more of his own stuff, which is some of the best music coming out these days.
post #104 of 119 Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tales took a while to click for me, but once it clicked, it all clicked. In some ways, I think side 3 is Yes at their best; very experimental, completely pushing the boundaries, stark contrasts but backed by some great melodies. Leaves of Green is one of the most beautiful passages in the Yes canon, imo. TYA should be awesome in 5.1 as well; I'm looking forward to seeing what SW does w/ Howe's guitar work that bounces around between channels. I'm not particularly looking forward to 90125- they may not even go that far. I just think if they do move beyond the 70's that will be one they do, given it's huge success (which I believe was a real curse for the band in the long run, e.g. I think Squire has been chasing that success ever since).

From what I've read, I think SW will do the 70's Yes albums, but if they continue w/ these releases beyond that, I'd be surprised to see him still involved. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other factors involved w/ him bowing out of the ELP releases, but I'm not really concerned. Gives him more time to do the Yes-work. And more of his own stuff, which is some of the best music coming out these days.

Actually the only 80's album I'd really like to see in 5.1 is ABWH. It's probably the closest to the classic Yes sound, with a lot of songs that would shine in surround. Curiously, it gets very little respect by most people.
And I totally agree about Wilson's music. I recently got into his catalog and there's a heck of a lot of stuff I really love.
post #105 of 119 Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Actually the only 80's album I'd really like to see in 5.1 is ABWH. It's probably the closest to the classic Yes sound, with a lot of songs that would shine in surround. Curiously, it gets very little respect by most people.
And I totally agree about Wilson's music. I recently got into his catalog and there's a heck of a lot of stuff I really love.

Big thumbs up for ABWH; great shows too. Captured on video as well; really good video, but such a shame Levin was sick. He was a huge part of that show. They were very close to classic Yes. Happily for me, TL is my 2nd favorite bassist after Squire, so if he had to be replaced... The great thing was having Bruford back playing Yes music.

This was the beginning of classic Yes reforming too; after that, we had the Union, a great tour w/ the classic line-up plus. Then we only had to wait out on more Yeswest until the classic line-up was back.
post #106 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WTBH is ABWH?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #107 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WTBH is ABWH?

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. Really nice album from 1989.
post #108 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agree with your wishlist except I've been dreaming of hearing Starship Trooper in 5.1 almost as long CTTE. Give me Tales, TYA, Relayer, GFTO, Tormato. Although the Fragile DVD-A is flawed, it's also become one of my least favorites of the classics just because Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround have been so overplayed. I'm sure SW would do it justice though.
post #109 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is so true. I don't understand it.

Quote:

I have almost everything SW has done as a musician - solo, PT, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, and there's not much I don't like immensely. His solo stuff, in particular, is so incredibly multi-faceted and layered, it reveals more with each listen. He has almost single-handedly carried Progressive Rock (and surround sound) into the 21st century, IMO.
post #110 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Agree with your wishlist except I've been dreaming of hearing Starship Trooper in 5.1 almost as long CTTE. Give me Tales, TYA, Relayer, GFTO, Tormato. Although the Fragile DVD-A is flawed, it's also become one of my least favorites of the classics just because Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround have been so overplayed. I'm sure SW would do it justice though.

Really, I'm just happy as a clam these are getting done; whatever they do next is fine. We've got years of anticipation ahead of us but some concrete promises of true thrills to come, if CttE is any indication. Even if they did Tormato next, which would be my last choice and an unlikely one as well, there are still some real gems; I'm imagining SW bringing out every detail in Squire's ringing tone as he gallops into Silent Wings, the reverb of his mighty axe igniting the atmosphere as the other layers swirl around and within...

This rebirth/ revitalization SW is bringing to classic Yes is a true blessing to this old dyed-in-the-wool Yeshead. I'm so psyched; I'm listening to CttE more than I've ever listened to a single album since WAY back in the day when I had just a handful to choose from.

As for the over-played Fragile tracks: I know what you mean, but one of the things I love about a good surround mix is how it can make the familiar novel again. I find this to be the case w/ the Fragile dvd-a. Worse even than the radio is how Yes has over-played Roundabout; in all my 20+ shows, I think they've played it at every one. And yet, I put on the dvd and just focus on that backwards-running, folding-into-itself bass line that is maybe the funkiest riff ever pounded out by a white boy, and I am transported. And Cans and Brahms- what an awesome showcase for the sub that one is (love to really crank this one) along with keys coming at you from every direction...

This hobby can get those ol' adrenals pumping...
post #111 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I have almost everything SW has done as a musician - solo, PT, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, and there's not much I don't like immensely. His solo stuff, in particular, is so incredibly multi-faceted and layered, it reveals more with each listen. He has almost single-handedly carried Progressive Rock (and surround sound) into the 21st century, IMO.

Most definitely, he is the man! He seems really cool too. Over at quadraphonicquad.com there is some great SW stuff. One thread has a great radio interview he did after an australian gig- very revealing. And then there's the dedicated section for Ask Steve Wilson; he just did his 2nd round of answers. Members posted questions and then he stopped by and answered them (the 1st go-round the site moderator emailed the questions to him and SW emailed the answers back). How cool is that? He appears to be a genuinely humble, very accessible visionary w/ exquisite taste- whose love for music is so profound it drives him to spend a considerable amount of energy bringing other's masterpieces to full fruition, not solely chasing his own sophisticated and brilliant vision. A true renaissance man for music.
post #112 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Most definitely, he is the man! He seems really cool too. Over at quadraphonicquad.com there is some great SW stuff. One thread has a great radio interview he did after an australian gig- very revealing. And then there's the dedicated section for Ask Steve Wilson; he just did his 2nd round of answers. Members posted questions and then he stopped by and answered them (the 1st go-round the site moderator emailed the questions to him and SW emailed the answers back). How cool is that? He appears to be a genuinely humble, very accessible visionary w/ exquisite taste- whose love for music is so profound it drives him to spend a considerable amount of energy bringing other's masterpieces to full fruition, not solely chasing his own sophisticated and brilliant vision. A true renaissance man for music.

I'm really amazed by the quality if his music, considering how prolific he is. He also doesn't get stuck in any rut. He combines his own ideas with a bunch of different influences from the past. His songs also have a definite structure. So much of modern Prog just seems to meander around. Absolutely extraordinary.

It's been a long time since I've been exploring an artist in any depth. I've been like a kid in a candy store. It reminds me of the old days when there was so much quality music coming out from so many artists.
post #113 of 119 Old 12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that I pay much attention to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but isn't it time that Yes is inducted after finally being nominated for the first time this year? I mean seriously, ABBA and Ozzy Osbourne are in, but not Yes?
post #114 of 119 Old 12-08-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not that I pay much attention to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but isn't it time that Yes is inducted after finally being nominated for the first time this year? I mean seriously, ABBA and Ozzy Osbourne are in, but not Yes?

If you want to rile up music lovers, just mention the R&R HOF. It's a (censored) joke. Supposedly when Genesis got in it would open the doors for other Prog bands. We'll see what happens this year.

I saw the HOF TV special they did because I wanted to see Genesis. They gave them a lot less screen time than any other inductee and they seemed to seat them near the bathroom wink.gif. I can't forget how uncomfortable they all looked.
post #115 of 119 Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want to rile up music lovers, just mention the R&R HOF. It's a (censored) joke. Supposedly when Genesis got in it would open the doors for other Prog bands. We'll see what happens this year.

I saw the HOF TV special they did because I wanted to see Genesis. They gave them a lot less screen time than any other inductee and they seemed to seat them near the bathroom wink.gif. I can't forget how uncomfortable they all looked.

I guess you're right. Like I said I've never really paid much attention to it until I saw that Yes was nominated this year, which seemed a little incredible to me they weren't already in it.

Kiss and Hall & Oates get inducted, but not Yes. rolleyes.gif
post #116 of 119 Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you're right. Like I said I've never really paid much attention to it until I saw that Yes was nominated this year, which seemed a little incredible to me they weren't already in it.

Kiss and Hall & Oates get inducted, but not Yes. rolleyes.gif

Proves my point, doesn't it? I never even considered Kiss a real band, just a marketing tool. I guess they'll be selling autographed copies of the R&RHOF award on their web site real soon. rolleyes.gif
post #117 of 119 Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Slamming the RRHOF or The Grammys for their lack of common sense\taste is an exercise in futility.
FWIW, Kiss was big when I was in HS, never cared about them then. Still don't.
Calculated commercial processed cheese food product.
Yes on the other hand...

post #118 of 119 Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for being late to the party. I've found I much prefer the LPCM 5.1 mix to the DTS-HD; the LPCM version is more coherent, glued together and sounds more analog. Curious if anyone else hears a significant difference.
post #119 of 119 Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I can't get any sound when I select the LPCM 5.1 mix. The DTS-HD works fine.

I'm using an Oppo 83 with the 8 channel analog outs.

Anybody have any suggestions?

In response to above ^^^ Shouldn't LPCM and DTS-HD be the same?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page