Yes Close to the Edge Hi-Res 5.1 Coming in October 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 119 Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I know it was referred to the CTTE\Rush AF SACD thread but this deserves its own thread.
I bought the AF CTTE and love it.
Will I be buying this one?
You bet!

Also mentioned\alluded that a redone Fragile is on the agenda, no timeframe.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this turns out to be true man I will buy the Pre release wink.gif Looking forward to this release.. Yay..

post #3 of 119 Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is true.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #4 of 119 Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Awesome! Lookin' forward to it. Boy, I sure do have a huge list of music which should and deserve the surround sound treatment. I think I missed my calling.
post #5 of 119 Old 06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Latest word is there will be 2 different versions of this. A CD/DVD-A as well as a CD/BD set. Decisions, decisions!

And as has been mentioned before, there will be more Yes coming out in 5.1 in the near future! biggrin.gif

How about we start with The Yes album, Tales, Relayer and a proper redoing of Fragile!
post #6 of 119 Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Latest word is there will be 2 different versions of this. A CD/DVD-A as well as a CD/BD set. Decisions, decisions!

And as has been mentioned before, there will be more Yes coming out in 5.1 in the near future! biggrin.gif

How about we start with The Yes album, Tales, Relayer and a proper redoing of Fragile!

That will be a tough choice between the DVD-A or the Bluray. I guess it will come down to if one costs more than the other. I should be interesting to see what the future brings as far a further 5.1 releases from the Yes library. I would really like to see Steven Wilson do 5.1 remixes of the early Genesis library (up to Trick of the Tail).

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #7 of 119 Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 10
Could this really be my first post here on AVS Forum after perusing over it for a few years now? I'd say it's about time, and it took this news that so many of us were excited to hear make it happen. As a longtime Yes fan who saw them at Duke University on their Close to the Edge tour and one who (obviously) appreciates good sound, I'm very psyched re:this upcoming release. I don't have a large selection of SACDs/DVD Audio disks but what I do have I thoroughly enjoy...it's too bad that neither format has taken off like we'd hoped. I'm sure that Mr. Wilson and Co.'s efforts will be more than admirable; I can't wait to own Close to the Edge in surround sound (this release is precisely why I held off on buying the recent stereo only SACD). Let's hope that we have many more multi channel releases of excellent music for years to come. "I get up...I get down" and right now, I'm pretty up!
post #8 of 119 Old 06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

That will be a tough choice between the DVD-A or the Bluray. I guess it will come down to if one costs more than the other. I should be interesting to see what the future brings as far a further 5.1 releases from the Yes library. I would really like to see Steven Wilson do 5.1 remixes of the early Genesis library (up to Trick of the Tail).

Bill

Agreed, although the few times I heard both the DVD-A and BD of the same material I always preferred the DVD-A. Even though I bit the bullet and have all 5 Genesis box sets, I'd leap at the chance of a SW mix. Though it looks like they'd have to get Tony Banks and the other dope who screwed up the box sets out of the way. They keep defending those turkeys. rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 119 Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

and a proper redoing of Fragile!
What's wrong with the current version of Fragile?

The Hun
post #10 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Burning Shed has the Close To The Edge preorders up for the CD/DVD-A ($12.99 GDP) and the CD/Bluray ($15.99 GDP). I'm guessing I'll go with the Bluray but I might order both smile.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Burning Shed has the Close To The Edge preorders up for the CD/DVD-A ($12.99 GDP) and the CD/Bluray ($15.99 GDP). I'm guessing I'll go with the Bluray but I might order both smile.gif.

Bill

How did I know you would get both? biggrin.gif

Wait a minute, I'm also considering getting them both eek.gif
post #12 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How did I know you would get both? biggrin.gif

Wait a minute, I'm also considering getting them both eek.gif

Well.......... looking at the extras that the BR includes I might just go the BR route. But.............. knowing myself I'll probably end up with both wink.gif.

Bill

post #13 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well.......... looking at the extras that the BR includes I might just go the BR route. But.............. knowing myself I'll probably end up with both wink.gif.

Bill

I haven't been paying close attention to this. Will they be released in the US or is it a Euro only thing?
post #14 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't been paying close attention to this. Will they be released in the US or is it a Euro only thing?

I'm not sure but at the prices Burning Shed has listed I'll be ordering from them.

Bill

post #15 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Agreed, although the few times I heard both the DVD-A and BD of the same material I always preferred the DVD-A. Even though I bit the bullet and have all 5 Genesis box sets, I'd leap at the chance of a SW mix. Though it looks like they'd have to get Tony Banks and the other dope who screwed up the box sets out of the way. They keep defending those turkeys. rolleyes.gif

Nick Davis is the one responsible for the lack of Bottom End on the Drums! He felt it was Dated!
post #16 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure but at the prices Burning Shed has listed I'll be ordering from them.

Bill

Oct 21 is going to be a very expensive day. 2 versions of CTTE, 2 versions of XTC Nonsuch and a Tears for Fears boxset of The Hurting. Ouch!

Some info on both CTTE's.

Close to the Edge is the first in a series of remixed and expanded Yes albums.
Presented in a mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeve with booklet featuring new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, along with rare photos and archive material, the album has been mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson and is fully approved by Yes.

The CD features a completely new stereo album mix by Steven Wilson, a new mix of America and an early mix/assembly of Close to the Edge.
Contains original artwork by Roger Dean who has also overseen the artwork for this new edition.

The blu-ray features:

- 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround (24bit/96khz) mixed from the original multi-channel recordings.
- the new stereo album mix in DTS-HD Master Audio (24bit/96khz).
- the original album mix and America in a DTS-HD Master Audio flat transfers from the original master tape source. (24bit/192khz)
- exclusive instrumental versions of all new mixes in DTS-HD Master Audio stereo (24bit/96khz).
- exclusive needle-drop of an original UK vinyl A1/B1 pressing transferred in 24bit/96khz audio.
- numerous audio extras appear in high-resolution stereo including single edits & studio run throughs of album tracks

The DVD-A features:

- a 5.1 DTS Mix and High Resolution Stereo mixes.
- DVD-A players can, additionally, access a 5.1 Lossless audio mix (24bit 96khz).
- the new album mix in high resolution stereo
- the original album mix in a hi-res flat transfer from the original stereo master tape source.
- numerous audio extras in high-resolution stereo including single edits & studio run- throughs.
The ultimate way to enjoy one of the greatest Progressive Rock albums ever made.

Pre-order for 21st October release.
post #17 of 119 Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
XTC Nonsuch is announced for 4th October release including blu-ray version.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/ape/collection/405/
post #18 of 119 Old 08-03-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not that it matters, but the posted release date is Oct 7th for XTC and Oct 21st for CTTE.
Both DVD-A and Blu-ray editions.

I'll be getting the BDs with the extra content.

post #19 of 119 Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post

XTC Nonsuch is announced for 4th October release including blu-ray version.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/ape/collection/405/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Not that it matters, but the posted release date is Oct 7th for XTC and Oct 21st for CTTE.
Both DVD-A and Blu-ray editions.

All right guys, I get it. biggrin.gif

OK, it's going to be an expensive Fall with new Yes, Crimson, XTC, Tears For Fears, Porcupine Tree, Jethro Tull and hopefully Zeppelin. Have I forgotten anybody?
post #20 of 119 Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All right guys, I get it. biggrin.gif

OK, it's going to be an expensive Fall with new Yes, Crimson, XTC, Tears For Fears, Porcupine Tree, Jethro Tull and hopefully Zeppelin. Have I forgotten anybody?

Personally? I would forget Tears For Fears. wink.gif

post #21 of 119 Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Saw Yes last night near Pittsburgh in a very small venue (GREAT show!). Had quick chats with band members after. Asked Steve Howe about the surround mixes--he said that he has heard the 5.1 mix for Close to the Edge and likes it, and that there will be more....although no specifics about what's next. Asked Chris Squire about the surround resurrection of Fish Out of Water...he said that it's basically completed but that he has not heard it yet; if I understood him correctly it sounded like possible release around years end but not specific.

So, not really new details, but exciting nevertheless. Don't balk at the show in the absence of Jon Anderson; the guys played their hearts out and the new singer fits the bill nicely....
post #22 of 119 Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
so i thought several years ago (when they did the Fragile DVDA) they couldn't find the original multitrack masters, so any hi res release would have to be in stereo.

did they find the multitracks, or is the 5.1 mixed out of the stereo masters?

either way, i'll probably still get the blu ray.

- Chris
post #23 of 119 Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 33
As of 8/6/13 it's avail. for pre-order at Burning Shed in the UK. I have mine placed! This is most exciting. Both dvd audio and BD, in 5.1 and not in a BOX!! The most important buy this year. Also The new Van Morrison? Van has NOT endorsed it!! http://www.vanmorrison.com/index.html
post #24 of 119 Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

What's wrong with the current version of Fragile?

Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post.

I always thought Jon's vocals were screwed up. A bit on the garbled side. Otherwise it's not bad sounding, but Jon's voice is such an important part of classic Yes that I hate listening to it.
post #25 of 119 Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A silly question:

Do Blu-Ray audio disks come in a CD sized case or the DVD/Blu-Ray rectangular size case?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #26 of 119 Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

A silly question:

Do Blu-Ray audio disks come in a CD sized case or the DVD/Blu-Ray rectangular size case?

The Bluray audio discs I have come in rectangular sized plastic cases.

Bill

post #27 of 119 Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ok, thanks Bill.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #28 of 119 Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post.

I always thought Jon's vocals were screwed up. A bit on the garbled side. Otherwise it's not bad sounding, but Jon's voice is such an important part of classic Yes that I hate listening to it.
Interesting,I haven't noticed such things, but admittedly I don't own this album in other formats for comparison.

The Hun
post #29 of 119 Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Interesting,I haven't noticed such things, but admittedly I don't own this album in other formats for comparison.

That's one of the problems about buying these things multiple times. You sit around comparing them when you should be listening to the music! biggrin.gif
sivadselim likes this.
post #30 of 119 Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page