Quatermass in 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Is anyone familiar with this album? This is one of those albums I wanted to get a long time age, but just never got around to it.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4206
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 611
From 1970, a three piece band with drums, bass+vocals, keyboards. I really like this configuration for bands like The Nice, Egg, ELP, Triumvirat, Trace...etc. Unfortunately, I find this album to fall a bit short. The musicianship is fine, but personally, I don't care for the vocals. I had the same problem with The Nice. I really like the instrumental portions, but didn't care for the vocals. Still, there are nice instrumental passages on the Quartermass album.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. It's hard to find anyone who's familiar with it. There isn't even much info from the Hoffman forum. OTOH, I liked The Nice, but probably more for Keith Emerson's playing. Gonna have to listen to some samples before I commit any cash.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I started thinking about this album and remembered Allmusic provided samples. From what I heard it's actually a pretty decent album. In fact, I'm surprised the album isn't better known. I'll definitely pick it up soon.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/quatermass-mw0000043305
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, it has been finally shipped by Amazon UK, so I guess that I'll find out soon if it is a keeper. I have been less than enthused (musically) by some recent purchases; prim..cough..us, rav..cough..en. OTOH, i haven't stopped playing Magenta's Seven as I love the music.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Well, it has been finally shipped by Amazon UK, so I guess that I'll find out soon if it is a keeper. I have been less than enthused (musically) by some recent purchases; prim..cough..us, rav..cough..en. OTOH, i haven't stopped playing Magenta's Seven as I love the music.

Sorry Primus gave you a cough, it gives me a tickle! I agree about Raven so far, though I only listened twice. From what some people say, you have to listen a bunch to appreciate it. BTW, how would you compare Seven to Metamorphosis? I thought too many songs on Metmorphosis meandered around so I held off getting Seven.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just as I was ready to buy, I read this on the Hoffman forum.

"reading the liner notes on the remix it appears that this is an upmix... the multi-tracks for the album could not be located, only for the One Blind Mice single (recorded at AIR Studios, the multi-track masters for which were found).. for the rest of the surround remix 4-track sources (unreleased Quad? hence the v.discrete surround effect on a couple of tracks!?) were used where possible.. the rest (the majority) appear to have been manipulated into surround using "digital trickery" from a stereo CD..?!? "

Word is it's also quite compressed. Unfortunately, I'll pass.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I ordered it from Amazon UK, will report back once I get a chance to hear it.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Just as I was ready to buy, I read this on the Hoffman forum.

"reading the liner notes on the remix it appears that this is an upmix... the multi-tracks for the album could not be located, only for the One Blind Mice single (recorded at AIR Studios, the multi-track masters for which were found).. for the rest of the surround remix 4-track sources (unreleased Quad? hence the v.discrete surround effect on a couple of tracks!?) were used where possible.. the rest (the majority) appear to have been manipulated into surround using "digital trickery" from a stereo CD..?!? "

Word is it's also quite compressed. Unfortunately, I'll pass.

Thanks for posting the warning. Mine is held up because I preordered it with some other things, so I think I will take the opportunity to cancel!
post #10 of 11 Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quartermass reminds me of early Deep Purple. It grew on me, and the surround mix (upmix, I guess) was discreet and tasteful. Not bad for a 1970 release, and it still sounds fresh some 40 years later.

@ti-triodes, I played Metamorphosis one time and it didn't grab me the same way the Seven did. Recommend that you give Seven a try.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-25-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Quartermass reminds me of early Deep Purple. It grew on me, and the surround mix (upmix, I guess) was discreet and tasteful. Not bad for a 1970 release, and it still sounds fresh some 40 years later.

@ti-triodes, I played Metamorphosis one time and it didn't grab me the same way the Seven did. Recommend that you give Seven a try.

Thanks. The next time I order from the UK I'll definitely grab it.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page