Surround Master - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SURROUND MASTER Reality Technologies Australia

The SURROUND MASTER is a profound improvement to multi channel listening. It is a four channel QS decoder…soon to be a limited production SQ decoder…and it is a real 5.1 multi channel extractor! It produces information from any two channel recording that is superior to every modern algorithm I have heard, and I have been down just about every path to supposed surround perfection, which includes Neo X and every version of Dolby PL II, Fosgate, and Logic 7 incarnation.

I will note that you must have independent volume control over all channels because there are no controls on the unit.

This is the closest I have ever come to a virtually discreet ( I love that phrase) presentation from most two channel sources.. it decodes QS as it was meant to be decoded, and it also extracts, in its 5.1 mode, the best center channel I have ever heard extracted by such a device…vocals sound sensational! Many, if not most 5.1 recordings do not have an isolated center vocalist...frequently the vocalist is recorded in typical stereo phantom production, and it is inferior to the real thing. If you ever have the privilege of hearing the Nat King Cole album LOVE IS THE THING with a real center channel that rivals the main system, you will understand my point.

There are two other aspects that amaze me. It produces phantom side channels that my Sansui QSD-1 cannot produce. I use side channel speakers through a Lexicon CP3+ unit…I love it....I own a MC 1… it in the garage .. I had a MC 12 for a month which I returned..

The SURROUND MASTER produces side channels in an uncanny way. There are times when I feel my side channels are engaged and they are not! I have tried to reproduce this with my other processors and I can’t. It also maintains a very stable front image ……..I have never owned a unit where I could turn up the rear volume in the rear channels and not totally obliterate the sound image….not true with the SURROUND MASTER. I have spent a fortune during my almost 66 years: this unit is one of a kind. It is a remarkable accomplishment!

Dwithers
oblio98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
I have one of these, and it's damned impressive. Decodes QS LPs (Steely Dan, Joe Walsh, Jim Croce, etc) as well as my Sansui receiver, and does a terrific job on stereo CDs, creating a superb surround output for some discs (of course, it's a matter of how much phase information is in the stereo mix)

Well worth the price if you're into this kind of thing

[Early Adopter]
post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
This unit looks interesting as I've tried Dolby PLIIx in the past and I really didn't care for it. It looks like you could connect the stereo analog output from your source to the SM and use the 5.1 output of the SM to the 5.1 analog input of your AVR/prepro. So does the Surround Master work with any 2 channel recordings?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Hi Bill Mac

I am the CTO of Involve Audio P/L and I am available to answer any technical questions. But first please note that the last time I tried to offer links to independent review sites and information alerting about a new model I was suspended for spamming!

In answer to your question (allowing for my obvious bias) the Surround Master works from all 2 channel sources, CD, MP3, youtube, the stereo downmix on DVD or Bluray, foxtel, radio. The decode is not dependent on source quality or bandwidth in any way. If we encode in Involve format (sounds just like stereo) you get 35 - 40 dB separation, on normal stereo it is a bit more random. It tends to place the listener in the center of things or in the conductors position.

Some of the material I like is often when only subtle surround information is present where you just hear ambient information. You will no doubt find some material is better in stereo specially if you are a hard case stereo person (as I am), but overall we find it often actually clarifies detail and imaging - a bit like the difference from going from mono to stereo. By separating things they tend to stand out more obviously to the listener. One thing the Surround Master is good at is not "smearing" instruments or performers across a sound stage as it tends to grab whole objects.

Hope that helps and this is not regarded as spam.

Regards

Chucky
post #5 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
The surround Master/SQ version is now available…It is a state of the art decoder and synthesizer for the the two legacy four channel matrix systems!....and every two channel source! . As someone who is simply a consumer…and I’ve spent a bundle on equipment…TATE ll101A, Fosgate 3602, 3610, Lexicon CP3, MC 1, MC12, and Sansui QSD-1,…not counting the equipment I bought in between during the last 30 years… the Surround Master is the most extraordinary legacy device imaginable. AVS should demand a review of this product. And compare it to the best Lexicon has to offer!…I wrote a review of the original on this forum intimating that the SQ version was coming…it is here and spectacular… It makes every two channel source more valuable!
Dwihters
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM

I am waiting for my SQ modification to return. So far, the results I've heard from those who already have it have been excellent. It will be nice to listen to those old SQ albums I'd pretty much given up on over the past 40 years.

[Early Adopter]
post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM

I just ordered a Surround Master / SQ edition and am anxious to try it out. Reviews of the basic SM as a surround synthesizer and QS-quad decoder have been great, and early reviews of the SQ-quad capable unit are just as impressive. To do all that for $495 is practically impossible with vintage equipment -- $1500 might do it...

To me it's amazing that a company would even consider building an SQ unit knowing full well that the market for such an item is very very limited. Hats off to Involve for their commitment to surround sound fanatics!

Mark
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM

Hi All

Just got this hand written review from a local customer, he also makes mention of our Dragon Electrostatic speakers.

Enjoy

Chucky SM Review Healing Arts Small(1).pdf 284k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SM Review Healing Arts Small(1).pdf (284.3 KB, 46 views)
post #9 of 9 Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 AM

Hi All

Please note we have updated (and createsd a USA site) our website, please visit www.involveaudio.com

Also for some insight to us and our new technology (and some bargains), please visit our Indiegogo campaign

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...ster/x/8405552

Regards

Chucky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y4_4_Hero_White.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	314666  
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page