Van Morrison Moondance in surround in September - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like only the super-deluxe 5-disc edition of the Moondance reissue will include a surround version of the album, but it will be on a Blu-Ray audio disc, which is sweet. Anyone know who did the surround mix, or other details about the mix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Elliot Scheiner.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #3 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The speculation is that this is the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 but so far not confirmed.
In any event I will be buying this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #4 of 25 Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hopefully one would be able to get just the 5.1 mix without the other stuff.

I was listening to Astral Weeks the other day and was thinking that we (I) really need a Van Morrison album in hi-rez.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #5 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Hopefully one would be able to get just the 5.1 mix without the other stuff.

I was listening to Astral Weeks the other day and was thinking that we (I) really need a Van Morrison album in hi-rez.

You can bet you have to buy the whole daggone box, just like with everything else!

I'm not a huge Van fan, but I wish they had done Astral Weeks first....
post #6 of 25 Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

As posted elsewhere, Amazon pre-order @ $64.02

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I am stoked as well. Cannot wait for this one to drop.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Revised release date is Oct 22nd.

post #9 of 25 Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

The speculation is that this is the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 but so far not confirmed.
In any event I will be buying this.
"The Deluxe Edition also includes a Blu-Ray audio disc with high-resolution stereo and surround mixes of the original album, mixed by original engineer Elliot Scheiner, who also oversaw the new re-mastering of the album."

source: http://media.rhino.com/press-release/moondance-deluxe-edition

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #10 of 25 Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got an email notice from importcds that Moondance is in stock.
I pre-ordered, hopefully they get around to shipping me one.

post #11 of 25 Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I just looked at the Deluxe Edition version of Moondance. The price seems a bit steep but I'm not a big fan of Van Morrison. But if I was I'm sure it would be a must own collection. Here is a link to the importcds listing that is priced at $44.99 plus shipping.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
POPmarket has this currently on a 24 hour sale for $43; about 20% off the Amazon US price, with free shipping and sans tax AFAIK.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

POPmarket has this currently on a 24 hour sale for $43; about 20% off the Amazon US price, with free shipping and sans tax AFAIK.

Nil,

Thanks for the tip. In for one. I'm not the biggest Van Fan, but I'm a big surround music fan.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Nil,

Thanks for the tip. In for one. I'm not the biggest Van Fan, but I'm a big surround music fan.
Very nice job with the surround mix on the blu ray disc.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Nil

Elliot Scheiner did a great job with the surround mix, and the music is excellent with a jazz-folk rock fusion sound. I was familiar with a couple of the tracks, and the rest were equally very good.

I did notice skipping/momentary freezing on some tracks on playback and wonder if I need to have my AVR decode the stream rather than the Blu-Ray player. I'll need to check on this some more. The BD authoring is sparse and it starts playing the first track in Dolby Tru HD 5.1 right away. Track selection is available, but I didn't see any menu or setting for choosing stereo versus surround with my (LG) BD player.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Elliot Scheiner did a great job with the surround mix, and the music is excellent with a jazz-folk rock fusion sound. I was familiar with a couple of the tracks, and the rest were equally very good.

I did notice skipping/momentary freezing on some tracks on playback and wonder if I need to have my AVR decode the stream rather than the Blu-Ray player. I'll need to check on this some more. The BD authoring is sparse and it starts playing the first track in Dolby Tru HD 5.1 right away. Track selection is available, but I didn't see any menu or setting for choosing stereo versus surround with my (LG) BD player.

It really is an excellent 5.1 mix. I didn't have any skipping issues when playing the 5.1 mix of the Blu-ray. Does the skipping or freezing happen at the same points on the disc? If it does then maybe it could be the disc. The decoding is done by my 4311 with HDMI as the connection (set to bitstream). If you have an audio button on your players remote you could use that to switch between 5.1 and stereo.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-30-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No issues with my Oppo 105.
You can use the colored buttons on your player remote to select the layer.

post #18 of 25 Old 12-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Nil

Got a replacement set but it skips at the many of the same locations, so it's a problem with my LG BD player; which has not otherwise had a problem with the dozen other BD audio discs I have played (other than Grrr, which just needed decoding done by the player and not the AVR). However, I just now checked at the Quadrophonic Quad site and others have reported similar skipping/dropout issues for this disc with certain Oppo and Denon BD players. Thus it gets back to the authoring of the disc in some manner. Folks at QQ have speculated that it was originally meant as a DVD-A release and got remade (hurriedly?) into a BD release; hence the Dolby Tru HD 5.1 format and the very spartan menu. Interestingly, the edges of the BD are gently scalloped and not purely circular like most other discs.

Despite these issues, it is a great release and contains fabulous music done very nicely in high definition surround sound.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Got a replacement set but it skips at the many of the same locations, so it's a problem with my LG BD player, which has not otherwise had a problem with the dozen other BD audio discs I have played (other than Grrr, which just needed decoding done by the player and not the AVR). However, I just now checked at the Quadrophenic Quad site and others have reported similar skipping/dropout issues for this disc with certain Oppo and Denon BD players. Thus it gets back to the authoring of the disc is some manner. Folks at QQ have speculated that it was originally meant as a DVD-A release and got remade (hurriedly?) into a BD release; hence the Dolby Tru HD 5.1 format and the very spartan menu. Interestingly, the edges of the BD are gently scalloped and not purely circular like most other discs.

Despite these issues, it is a great release and contains fabulous music done very nicely in high definition surround sound.

I've had no playback issues with the Moondance Blu-ray with my Oppo 103.

Bill

post #20 of 25 Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a problem playing my Blu ray too but once I changed it to PCM it played flawlessly.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #21 of 25 Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

I had a problem playing my Blu ray too but once I changed it to PCM it played flawlessly.

Does this (changed it to PCM) mean bitstreaming by the player and decoding to surround sound by the AVR? Because this is currently how I have my player set for playback. With the Grrr! BD, I had to decode at the player and feed the signal to the AVR. Please excuse any confusion as I am a bit hazy with the terminology.

Correction: my BD player has 4 options under HDMI in setup - PCM Stereo, PCM Multi-Ch, DTS Re-Encode, & Primary Pass-Thru. I previously had it selected as Primary Pass-Thru and my AVR decoded this signal to Dolby Tru-HD surround (albeit with skips). I tried the PCM Multi-Ch option just now and it played the disc flawlessly, but in stereo! In the AVR menu the signal is noted to be PCM Stereo, while the BD player's menu indicates PCM Multi-Ch. Any recommendations on how to get a multichannel PCM signal without resorting to something like Dolby PL II processing?

(There is another setting in the player setup called Digital Output that has three options - PCM Stereo, DTS Re-Encode, & Primary Pass-Thru (which is currently checked). Does this also have to be changed in order for multichannel output to the AVR?). I don't believe that I had to do this for Grrr! - but that was a stereo disc.

Thanks!
post #22 of 25 Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Guys-

at any price, this set is a must-have!
post #23 of 25 Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 318
got it before Christmas holiday. the 5.1 tracks are excellent!

Steve
post #24 of 25 Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just got this the other day and am pleasently surprised how good it sounds,both the 5.1 bluray and

the cd.Interesting extras also all in a nice package.One thing I noticed was needed to up the volume on the 

5.1 disc by about 10 from where I normally liten but no big deal.

post #25 of 25 Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I've had no playback issues with the Moondance Blu-ray with my Oppo 103.

Bill

Like Bill, I've had no issues playing back Moondance in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD on my Oppo 103 but...I've had issues with Dolby TrueHD on the Hi Fi Pure Audio blu-rays and some movies (Monsters U brings back unpleasant memories). Enough issues that I squirm a bit when I see a blu-ray authored in TrueHD these days, thinking it could be like the proverbial box of chocolates, I wonder what I'm going to get. I think there's enough evidence now across different players to point a finger at Dolby. Hope they get this rectified before they turn blu-ray (well, at least their audio portion) into what Steve Jobs termed "a bag of hurt". rolleyes.gif
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page