Blu-ray & DVD-Audio Player - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 74 Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88

I have a Sony S570 used mainly for playing CD but I do have a few SACD. The CD contacts Gracenote for album information but the SACD does not. This is strange but normal for the S570. I would like to upgrade the Blu-ray player, but are there any that display all the information of a regular CD when playing a SACD?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What best player only for DVD-Audio? The main thing - the quiet reading discs. I can listen to at night. May be Classe Audio CDP502?
post #63 of 74 Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnyazHM View Post
What best player only for DVD-Audio? The main thing - the quiet reading discs. I can listen to at night. May be Classe Audio CDP502?

Hard to argue with Oppo. I replaced my aging BDP-83 with the 105 this weekend. Direct to an Emotiva UPA-7 amp.

Oh my gosh...

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #64 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 to play my SACDs and am now looking for a comparably priced DVD-A player that plays Blu-rays...Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wow! It's ben a year since I started this thread and my Denon DVD-3910 (that stopped playing SACDs) still plays DVD-As flawlessly and I love the fact that the $110 Sony BDP-S5100 Blu ray player works GREAT with SACDs...That said, I am still looking for a cost effective/comparable Blu ray player that plays DVD-As when the Denon finally bites the dust. Anyone?
post #65 of 74 Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow! Are there really no inexpensive Blu ray players that can play DVD-Audio?
post #66 of 74 Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I haven't seen a combo player that plays all three, blu,SACD DVD-A, for under a 100 but I really have not been actively looking for one either. Check out the blu ray player thread as well if you haven't already. When I was looking a few Pioneer models would show up at Best Buy in their open box area.
post #67 of 74 Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
I haven't seen a combo player that plays all three, blu,SACD DVD-A, for under a 100 but I really have not been actively looking for one either....
Thanks. I really am looking only for a Blu ray player that decodes DVD-A and it doesn't need to be under a hundred dollars but I've been real impressed with my Sony that was near that price and is an excellent SACD player that happens to play Blu rays.
post #68 of 74 Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I really am looking only for a Blu ray player that decodes DVD-A and it doesn't need to be under a hundred dollars but I've been real impressed with my Sony that was near that price and is an excellent SACD player that happens to play Blu rays.
I have that Sony model too and have been pretty impressed with SACD play. Good luck with your search.
post #69 of 74 Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
I haven't seen a combo player that plays all three, blu, SACD, DVD-A for under a 100 but I really have not been actively looking for one either.
If it's still available, the most cost effective combo player I've seen is the Pioneer BDP-450... But it's way over $100.00

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #70 of 74 Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
If it's still available, the most cost effective combo player I've seen is the Pioneer BDP-450... But it's way over $100.00
Thanks but I'm no longer looking I ended up with an Oppo. As for the OP he only needs a blu ray that does DVD A, not all 3.
post #71 of 74 Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I'd be surprised if there were any players being made new today other than Oppo that decode DVD-Audio. And if they are, they're likely close to if not more expensive than an Oppo player.
post #72 of 74 Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
I'd be surprised if there were any players being made new today other than Oppo that decode DVD-Audio. And if they are, they're likely close to if not more expensive than an Oppo player.

Thanks. I understand the Oppo is a good player but I really am disappointed that no one is making a Blu ray player that decodes DVD-A as well as the Sony does SACDs. Heck, I'd pay 3 times the cost for it but 5 times doesn't seem prudent to me.
post #73 of 74 Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Although it's sad that new disc players are excluding support for DVD-A playback it's not all that surprising when you consider the disc format is (bar the shouting) - dead

Annoyingly, Sony's money machine has managed to win both the high-def video (Blu-ray) and audio (SACD) disc formats war That said... Personally I do actually prefer SACD...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 08-11-2014 at 11:57 AM.
post #74 of 74 Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I understand the Oppo is a good player but I really am disappointed that no one is making a Blu ray player that decodes DVD-A as well as the Sony does SACDs. Heck, I'd pay 3 times the cost for it but 5 times doesn't seem prudent to me.
There are players that do decode DVD A as well as the Sony does SACD, it's just that they also decode SACD. There doesn't seem to be a blu ray player that just does blu and DVD A. The Pioneer model if still available was cheaper than the Oppo. If anything goes wrong with your Sony you have a backup.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page